• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Tricky Situation

#1 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-April-22, 06:30

Behold a common scenario. After a competitive auction,your partner doubles the opponents
latest bid,sending the message "They can't make it." A now all too familiar situation has
arisen. Do you pass and trust partner's judgement or take the double out thus
risking partners wrath if the double could have yielded a heavy penalty? The situation
is even more compounded if the partnership is a new or casual one.
I await the replies with interest. :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#2 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 07:23

Yes you trust partners judgement and leave penalty doubles in.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-April-22, 08:49

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-22, 06:30, said:

Behold a common scenario. After a competitive auction,your partner doubles the opponents
latest bid,sending the message "They can't make it." A now all too familiar situation has
arisen. Do you pass and trust partner's judgement or take the double out thus
risking partners wrath if the double could have yielded a heavy penalty? The situation
is even more compounded if the partnership is a new or casual one.
I await the replies with interest. :)

totally depends, does partner just double, or does he double in a voice of thunder?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 09:04

It may sound crazy, but I would look at my hand first. Maybe even review the auction. On a really wild day I might check the vulnerability.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 09:18

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-22, 09:04, said:

It may sound crazy, but I would look at my hand first. Maybe even review the auction. On a really wild day I might check the vulnerability.

Not to mention that if the partnership is really new or casual it might not be a bad idea to think about whether the message really is "They can't make it" rather than "Do something intelligent partner" or, heaven forbid, "Bid something please". Sometimes the "obvious" meaning of a double for a player coming from a rubber bridge background is rather different from the expectation of a partner that mostly plays duplicate.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-April-22, 09:19

I would probably take out my partners x of 1C, but it gets awkward if we haven't expressly discussed this sequence and if I'm playing with a very old-fashioned player I can't really be sure :(
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-22, 10:01

View Postbillw55, on 2016-April-22, 09:04, said:

Sometimes looking at your own hand can mislead you, though. The following happened to us a few days ago. I was North.

I never asked partner, but I suspect he pulled the double because with his diamond holding and opener bidding them twice he couldn't believe that I had anything there, or maybe because he was ashamed of his overcall. 4 went down 3 (I had AJ, but West had KT932 -- I don't know why he didn't double), but 3 would have gone down at least 2, which would have been a top (there were 2 other pairs in 3, but they weren't doubled, probably because South didn't overcall).

#8 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 12:17

View Posteagles123, on 2016-April-22, 08:49, said:

totally depends, does partner just double, or does he double in a voice of thunder?

Doubling in a voice of thunder wouldn't be possible in a tournament using
bidding boxes(!) :rolleyes:

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#9 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 12:20

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-22, 12:17, said:

Doubling in a voice of thunder wouldn't be possible in a tournament using
bidding boxes(!) :rolleyes:

Sure it is, bidding cards hitting the table make different sounds at different speeds :)
Wayne Somerville

#10 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 12:25

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-22, 10:01, said:

Sometimes looking at your own hand can mislead you, though. The following happened to us a few days ago. I was North.

I never asked partner, but I suspect he pulled the double because with his diamond holding and opener bidding them twice he couldn't believe that I had anything there, or maybe because he was ashamed of his overcall. 4 went down 3 (I had AJ, but West had KT932 -- I don't know why he didn't double), but 3 would have gone down at least 2, which would have been a top (there were 2 other pairs in 3, but they weren't doubled, probably because South didn't overcall).

You're doing it wrong barmar. You have presented a full hand, auction, vulnerability, and even a subtle allusion to the form of scoring. Not nearly vague enough!

[/snark]

But yeah, I'd say south was ashamed of his overcall here. By the way, how daft was east for his 3 level freebid?

Edit: haha, does GIB read the forums? example
-gwnn

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-22, 15:51

My own rule is to never pull such a double unless it is to something you think you can make, At least come close as you never lose the post-mortem after passing.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-23, 05:47

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-22, 10:01, said:

The problem with pulling the double is it's sending a message" I saw/heard your double,partner,
but you're a liar and I don't trust you." Hardly a recipe for partnership harmony(!) :o

#13 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 06:11

Sometimes a pull can be right though.

I remember a while back, one of the top players at club accepted a game with me. On one board I held (roughly) xxx xxxx Txxx xx. Unfortunately I don't recall the full auction, but partner showed a strong hand with diamonds, then doubled the opponent's 3 call. It sure looked like penalty, but I reasoned that my hand was worth more declaring diamonds than defending clubs, so I pulled it. After looking over dummy for 30 seconds or so, he said "nice pull" and went off one, while 3x= appeared twice on the traveler up to that point. Was it right? I can't say for sure but it worked that time, and at least one good player approved of it. And I did not even have a stiff club which would make it even more clear to pull.
-gwnn

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 06:41

If you only ever penalty double on hands which are so robust that partner may never pull, then you may be missing out on a lot of lucrative penalties.

I spend a lot of time playing with and against robots on BBO, which can certainly warp your sense of judgement. But I observe that GIB pulls penalty doubles with abandon. It sometimes gets that decision spectacularly wrong, but I find that, in more recent releases of the software anyway, it has a reasonably good hit rate for pulling when it is right to do so.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 07:19

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-April-25, 06:41, said:

If you only ever penalty double on hands which are so robust that partner may never pull, then you may be missing out on a lot of lucrative penalties.

I spend a lot of time playing with and against robots on BBO, which can certainly warp your sense of judgement. But I observe that GIB pulls penalty doubles with abandon. It sometimes gets that decision spectacularly wrong, but I find that, in more recent releases of the software anyway, it has a reasonably good hit rate for pulling when it is right to do so.

A GIB is an automaton. An automaton cannot reason like a human can. It's only obeying what its been programmed
to do...like all cybernets.

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-25, 07:23

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-25, 07:19, said:

A GIB is an automaton. An automaton cannot reason like a human can. It's only obeying what its been programmed
to do...like all cybernets.

And?...what? Only humans can play games at a high level?

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-April-25, 08:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-23, 05:47, said:

The problem with pulling the double is it's sending a message" I saw/heard your double,partner,
but you're a liar and I don't trust you." Hardly a recipe for partnership harmony(!) :o

I've since emailed him. He said he wasn't sure whether I meant the double as penalty or takeout. He pulled because he decided it was takeout, probably because his length made that seem likely.

East's hand was 5 AJ83 AQ8765 K6. You decide the daftness.

#18 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 09:01

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-April-25, 07:23, said:

And?...what? Only humans can play games at a high level?

The strongest bridge playing computer at present is Jack 6 which captured its 10th World Computer
Championship in Chicago on 15/9/15. I'd like to see how it would fare against an expert human pair.

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-April-25, 09:15

View PostPhilG007, on 2016-April-25, 09:01, said:

The strongest bridge playing computer at present is Jack 6 which captured its 10th World Computer
Championship in Chicago on 15/9/15. I'd like to see how it would fare against an expert human pair.

And the strongest chess computer can compete and win at the highest levels. The same for go and computers in many other games are essentially unbeatable. There is nothing special about bridge, nor about human reasoning. With the correct programming, a computer could easily be the best at bridge too, especially if not hamstrung by rules laid down by the organisers of the mentioned WCC. And never mind an expert pair, I would quite like to see how you would fare against a half-decent computer! ;)

#20 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-25, 10:10

View Postbarmar, on 2016-April-25, 08:56, said:

East's hand was 5 AJ83 AQ8765 K6. You decide the daftness.

Vulnerable, with both opponents bidding and partner passing, I would say it is pretty sketchy, if not quite daft. There are a lot of gaps in that hand.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users