Posted 2016-May-02, 10:52

hrothgar, on 2016-May-02, 09:55, said:

I'd be worried about people

1. generating challenge
2. Playing some boards
3. getting a bad score
4. canceling the challenge

All before the challenge notices what's up

If you generate a challenge and play the boards first you shouldn't be able to cancel it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#82 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-02, 11:09

Good job, Diana. You softened this thread into a "weenie measuring" contest so you wouldn't have to worry about it getting out of hand and having to lock it.

Or, IS IT JUST ME??? The worth of a post or of a poster doesn't have much to do with who can win a 12-board challenge. Nor do I believe personal respect or international renown should determine whose ideas are worthy of consideration.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#83 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-02, 11:51

aguahombre, on 2016-May-02, 11:09, said:

Good job, Diana. You softened this thread into a "weenie measuring" contest so you wouldn't have to worry about it getting out of hand and having to lock it.

Or, IS IT JUST ME??? The worth of a post or of a poster doesn't have much to do with who can win a 12-board challenge. Nor do I believe personal respect or international renown should determine whose ideas are worthy of consideration.

I turned this into a challenge thread because philg has a history of challenging posters. And because he's been accused of trolling. I wanted to see if he'll play a challenge, like he repeatedly said, or he's just trying to annoy everyone on purpose.

Think of it as an anti-troll test if you want. Overall, I'm pretty sure that now he's perceived as less of a troll simply because he took the challenge. Doesn't matter who wins.

#84 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2016-May-02, 12:00

diana_eva, on 2016-May-02, 11:51, said:

You edited out the post I upvoted - I wouldn't have upvoted this.

I turned this into a challenge thread because philg has a history of challenging posters. And because he's been accused of trolling. I wanted to see if he'll play a challenge, like he repeatedly said, or he's just trying to annoy everyone on purpose.

Aside from the fact that my 1st paragraph was meant as humor --- I would never assume anyone's intent -- I edited out nothing, only changed a typo from "shown" to "should". The second paragraph was not humor.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#85 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-02, 12:03

aguahombre, on 2016-May-02, 12:00, said:

Aside from the fact that my 1st paragraph was meant as humor --- I would never assume anyone's intent -- I edited out nothing, only changed a typo from "shown" to "should". The second paragraph was not humor.

Yes, I missed a few posts :) Sorry.

#86 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-05, 02:06

diana_eva, on 2016-May-02, 11:51, said:

Think of it as an anti-troll test if you want. Overall, I'm pretty sure that now he's perceived as less of a troll simply because he took the challenge. Doesn't matter who wins.

I'd like to thank Diana too for her diplomacy in her intervention. It also gave me the chance to put my money
where my mouth was and answer my critics. As I've already said,whatever else I may be perceived to be on these
forums,I am no coward and whenever the gauntlet has been thrown down,I have stepped up to the mark.
As Di rightly says,the final result is immaterial,its the head to head clash that's the real stimulus.
I do have one regret though. What might the result have been had the teams been all human instead of just
2 humans and 6 cyborgs(?) Artificial intelligence is no match for human error(!) ;)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#87 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-05, 09:45

First things first: I have not been lying awake nights trying to decide whether Phil or PhilG007 is the better player.
But I was interested in the challenge and I hope the rest of the boards get posted. Not all have been, right? I was unaware of this whole challenge feature and I might make some use of it.

When I post a hand I am interested in what people think. I am also interested in saying what I think, and I am interested in what people think of my approach. I am much much less interested in winning an argument. I won't hijack this thread by posting a hand, but I played a difficult 3NT in a speedball recently. I made it, but I expect this had something to do with both me and the opponents having to play the hand quickly. I may post it elsewhere and see what people think. The point is that I think others might find the hand interesting and I am interested in what they think. If someone frequently finds himself embroiled in endless debates, he might give some thought to his approach.
Ken

#88 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-May-05, 10:03

No Ken, you're WRONG. I'm not one of those people, and even if I were, your method would still suck! :angry:
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#89 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-05, 11:13

PhilG007, on 2016-May-05, 02:06, said:

As I've already said,whatever else I may be perceived to be on these
forums,I am no coward and whenever the gauntlet has been thrown down,I have stepped up to the mark.

I challenged you twice and the challenges disappeared off into the ether..,.
Alderaan delenda est

#90 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-05, 14:29

hrothgar, on 2016-May-05, 11:13, said:

I also like the claim 'It also gave me the chance to put my money where my mouth was and answer my critics' when , having been repeatedly challenged to play for money, he only accepted the challenge with zero stakes.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#91 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-05, 14:45

Jinksy, on 2016-May-05, 14:29, said:

I also like the claim 'It also gave me the chance to put my money where my mouth was and answer my critics' when , having been repeatedly challenged to play for money, he only accepted the challenge with zero stakes.

Does BBO actually support money play? I know you can buy credits to rent robots and enter tourneys, but are these credits transferable between players based on match results? And, is it possible to cash out those credits?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#92 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-05, 14:53

billw55, on 2016-May-05, 14:45, said:

Does BBO actually support money play? I know you can buy credits to rent robots and enter tourneys, but are these credits transferable between players based on match results? And, is it possible to cash out those credits?

There is money bridge on BBO, but only players located in countries and US States where money bridge is legal will see this option. Money bridge is one human + one robot playing vs another human + robot. Money bridge is played with MB$, not BB$ and money won in these games can be withdrawn.

Money bridge Conditions of Contest: http://online.bridge.../mb/mbentry.php

#93 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-May-05, 15:50

kenberg, on 2016-May-05, 09:45, said:

First things first: I have not been lying awake nights trying to decide whether Phil or PhilG007 is the better player.
But I was interested in the challenge and I hope the rest of the boards get posted. Not all have been, right? I was unaware of this whole challenge feature and I might make some use of it.

When I post a hand I am interested in what people think. I am also interested in saying what I think, and I am interested in what people think of my approach. I am much much less interested in winning an argument. I won't hijack this thread by posting a hand, but I played a difficult 3NT in a speedball recently. I made it, but I expect this had something to do with both me and the opponents having to play the hand quickly. I may post it elsewhere and see what people think. The point is that I think others might find the hand interesting and I am interested in what they think. If someone frequently finds himself embroiled in endless debates, he might give some thought to his approach.

Sorry I think I need to post about three more and it's a hassle doing it from a mobile device. Will try to do it tonight.
Hi y'all!

#94 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-May-05, 17:06

diana_eva, on 2016-May-05, 14:53, said:

There is money bridge on BBO, but only players located in countries and US States where money bridge is legal will see this option. Money bridge is one human + one robot playing vs another human + robot. Money bridge is played with MB$, not BB$ and money won in these games can be withdrawn.

Money bridge Conditions of Contest: http://online.bridge.../mb/mbentry.php

I do not think it is difficult to use an IP address from another country.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#95 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-May-05, 17:38

Phil, on 2016-May-05, 15:50, said:

Sorry I think I need to post about three more and it's a hassle doing it from a mobile device. Will try to do it tonight.

I will look forward to it, that's if you get the chance. There are other things.

The hands i saw ere interesting. Of course many are. .

It occurs to me that there could be an option where with mutual consent the hands are published. by both people clicking "publish".
Ken

#96 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-06, 06:29

hrothgar, on 2016-May-05, 11:13, said:

I've challenged you a third time and all it remains to be seen now is
who "disappears" into the ether this time(!) Put up or shut up :P
Good luck (I don't really mean it)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#97 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-May-06, 07:11

PhilG007, on 2016-May-06, 06:29, said:

I've challenged you a third time and all it remains to be seen now is
who "disappears" into the ether this time(!) Put up or shut up :P
Good luck (I don't really mean it)

Oops. I see them now.

I played (and played poorly)
Alderaan delenda est

#98 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-May-06, 07:16

PhilG007, on 2016-May-05, 02:06, said:

As Di rightly says,the final result is immaterial,its the head to head clash that's the real stimulus.
I do have one regret though. What might the result have been had the teams been all human instead of just
2 humans and 6 cyborgs(?) Artificial intelligence is no match for human error(!) ;)

If I were creating an 8 board match to see which human was the better player, there isn't anything better than a BBO challenge.

The GIBs will generally play the same at both tables, c.p.. and GIBs cardplay is quite good.

OTOH, if two people sat down in a duplicate or rubber bridge setting, there are a wild amount of variables involved, including ability of your opponents, the ability of your partner, and even methods. Playing with GIBs, all of these elements have been equalized.

Of course a longer match will be a truer test, but to get me interested there would have to be 'green points' involved :P
Hi y'all!

#99 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2016-May-06, 07:48

hrothgar, on 2016-May-06, 07:11, said:

Oops. I see them now.

I played (and played poorly)

Challenges should appear on your front page. Right now you have to open the Challenge tab to find them.
Hi y'all!

#100 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-06, 08:06

kenberg, on 2016-May-05, 17:38, said:

It occurs to me that there could be an option where with mutual consent the hands are published. by both people clicking "publish".

There is a URL to the match, so all that it requires is to post the URL publicly (with or without permission of the other party) and Robert is your mother's brother.

Probably better to create a TinyURL for posting purposes.

I do not know how long the URL works - I expect about a couple of months.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users