BBO Discussion Forums: Expert or lucky? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Expert or lucky?

#1 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2016-April-18, 16:02

{comments}

Expert or lucky to rightside? Would you criticise 1D-1H-1NT-3NT?
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-April-18, 17:45

Holding K Q x x T x x A K x x x x, IMO, West showed good judgement to rebid 1. rather than 1N. Although a 2 raise is another option that might work.

#3 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-18, 18:17

1D-1H-1S-3N

#4 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 06:37

View PostWackojack, on 2016-April-18, 16:02, said:

Would you criticise 1D-1H-1NT-3NT?

I would.

Where are all those "experts", who claim that any rebid except notrumps by opener should guarantee an unbalanced hand?

If opener rebids 1 there is plenty of room to find out whether opener is balanced or not.

Rainer Herrmann

#5 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-April-19, 07:31

View Postrhm, on 2016-April-19, 06:37, said:

Where are all those "experts", who claim that any rebid except notrumps by opener should guarantee an unbalanced hand?

If opener rebids 1 there is plenty of room to find out whether opener is balanced or not.

The problem in std is to

* find 2H with 5 H opposite 4S3H (or even 4S2H)
* avoid 2H with 5 H opposite 4S1H (or even 4S0H)

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 07:39

Rainer Herrmann

I'm one but would rebid 1 here as it's definitely not an always situation and quick tricks generally belong in a suit contract.

However, responder should go through 2 (fsf to game) and it gets awkward after that so put me down for lucky.

1 - 1
1 - 2
2 - ? I admit I would bid 3 before 2nt and be as likely to stumble into an also lucky 4 as 3nt
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 08:51

I don't understand this discussion it is a systemic problem, nothing about judgement. 100% in my country rebid 1.

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-April-19, 08:59

Yes but the actual auction did not reveal West's balanced shape. If W wants, at some point during the FSF auction, to show a balanced hand without actually bidding notrumps, you need some artificiality. I am sure that is possible. But if the discussion is limited to natural methods for some reason ....

Also, it is difficult for responder to make a limit bid opposite an opener that could have a balanced or unbalanced minimum.

FWIW I prefer a 1 rebid with the West hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 09:41

View PostFluffy, on 2016-April-19, 08:51, said:

I don't understand this discussion it is a systemic problem, nothing about judgement. 100% in my country rebid 1.

Here it is much more common to have a way to check back. I wouldn't rebid 1 unless I had a specific agreement with partner, otherwise he will not believe I have a weak NT. Of course with virtually all of my partners I will already have opened a weak NT, and am interested if there are people who, playing a weak NT, would not do so.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 10:05

View Posthelene_t, on 2016-April-19, 08:59, said:

Yes but the actual auction did not reveal West's balanced shape. If W wants, at some point during the FSF auction, to show a balanced hand without actually bidding notrumps, you need some artificiality.

Not sure.
Why can't opener not jump to 3 over 2 if he is short in clubs?
Accordingly his chosen sequence 2 followed by 3 shows a balanced hand.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   beowulf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Bridge, music, railroads, beer

Posted 2016-April-19, 11:05

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-April-19, 07:39, said:

I'm one but would rebid 1 here as it's definitely not an always situation and quick tricks generally belong in a suit contract.

However, responder should go through 2 (fsf to game) and it gets awkward after that so put me down for lucky.

1 - 1
1 - 2
2 - ? I admit I would bid 3 before 2nt and be as likely to stumble into an also lucky 4 as 3nt

I wanted to simply up vote your answer, but I've reached my maximum number of up votes for the day (0)!

But this is definitely an area for judgment once we've established that we couldn't open a weak no-trump for systemic reasons. Do we want to emphasize the fact that our values are all in the pointy suits? Or do we want to emphasize the fact that we don't have any shortness? Either could be right on any given day. But, for those of us who like to bid minor suit slams (this hand is very close actually) it's rather important to know that we have at least four of our minor (1 says we do, 1NT says we might). Admittedly, with the minor being diamonds, we know that opener has at least four as soon as he doesn't raise hearts.

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2016-April-19, 11:09

View Postrhm, on 2016-April-19, 10:05, said:

Not sure.
Why can't opener not jump to 3 over 2 if he is short in clubs?
Accordingly his chosen sequence 2 followed by 3 shows a balanced hand.

Wouldn't a jump show a stronger hand? The upper limit of West's range is at least 17 HCPs. 3 eats a lot of space considering that we don't even know if we have a fit anywhere. I think it should be accurate in terms of strength.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 13:24

Yes, I would criticize a 1NT rebid instead of 1S. This is not expert or lucky to bid 1S. It is just normal. In fact, bidding 1NT would DENY 4 card length in spades. A 1NT rebid is the bid of a beginner or a mastermind.

The expert bid on this auction was 3H, which not only confirmed 3 card heart support - 2 card in hearts was possible on a holding like KQxx, Jx, AKxx, xxx - but also allowed the right-siding of the NT game to occur.

#14 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-April-19, 13:35

well I'm really glad I wasn't West.. oh :P

I just assumed if I bid 1S i was showing unbal here, learn something new every day :)
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#15 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 13:43

View Posteagles123, on 2016-April-19, 13:35, said:

well I'm really glad I wasn't West.. oh :P

I just assumed if I bid 1S i was showing unbal here, learn something new every day :)

I think it's exactly what Fluffy said: it's a matter of agreement. I also play 1S rebid as unbalanced, but I also raise with 3 if I have a worthless doubleton.

If you gave me Tx of clubs or something, well now I'm eating crow. Oh well.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#16 User is offline   robert2734 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-19, 14:50

After 1D-1H-1S does east ever want to play anywhere other than 3N on a hand west will pass 3N? Fourth suit forcing 2C will let you let you learn more about partners hand but the opponents will as well. You already know you don't have a 4-4 heart fit or a 3-5 heart fit. You don't want the lead through your Kx of clubs.

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 12:00

Would the bidding be any different if east held the same hand less the club king? Why is 3d forcing here instead of invitational? That part seems like luck that west kept the bidding open with pretty much a minimum opener. If 3d was indeed GF (instead of using 3c) why did west bid 3h? I use that bid to show a partial club stop for 3n but that is not the case here so what was its purpose? So luck appears to be a major factor again.

I am an inverted minor bidder so my auction would proceed '
1d
2d inverted does not deny a 4 card major
2s does not promise 4 spades but if no 4 spades a problem with club for NT
3n at least we have given p a decent idea of what our hand looks like and maybe right siding 3n
p who am I to argue?

#18 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 12:15

View Postrobert2734, on 2016-April-19, 14:50, said:

After 1D-1H-1S does east ever want to play anywhere other than 3N on a hand west will pass 3N? Fourth suit forcing 2C will let you let you learn more about partners hand but the opponents will as well. You already know you don't have a 4-4 heart fit or a 3-5 heart fit. You don't want the lead through your Kx of clubs.

1 is still fairly wide ranging. There are quite a few good unbalanced hands with partner, stiff heart, that don't really have any business moving over, that make very good slams. Concealing 5 cd diamond support is giving up on quite a few slams.

It reveals more to the opponents, but if partner won't bid NT over 4th suit without a C stop you still get to protect your CK from the lead.

#19 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-20, 12:22

View Postgszes, on 2016-April-20, 12:00, said:

Would the bidding be any different if east held the same hand less the club king? Why is 3d forcing here instead of invitational?

Yes. These days the most common agreement is 2 4th suit is forcing to game. If East did not hold the CK, he would bid 3, invitational, rather than 2 over the 1. It is also reasonable IMO to play it the other way around, that direct 3 over 1 is GF, while going through 2 is invitational (something Richard Pavlicek advocates), but for whatever reasons unclear to me has become a distinctly minority view.

That part seems like luck that west kept the bidding open with pretty much a minimum opener. If 3d was indeed GF (instead of using 3c) why did west bid 3h?

Because West has to bid something if it's GF, doesn't want to bypass 3nt if partner has the club stopper, so why not 3H? Generally when partner has forced you to bid, you usually need some call to not say anything, just that you don't have anything else more descriptive to offer.

#20 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-April-21, 04:49

View PostVampyr, on 2016-April-19, 09:41, said:

I will already have opened a weak NT, and am interested if there are people who, playing a weak NT, would not do so.

It is a clear 1NT opener for me too and I suspect far more would be in the wrong-sided 3NT in practise than end up there on the forums while seeing both hands.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users