BBO Discussion Forums: What's partner's double showing here? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's partner's double showing here?

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 04:30

How do you take partner's double here, and how to proceed over opps redouble?
[1NT rebid shows 15-17]

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 04:44

I think the double is penalty, and XX is SOS with 5-5 in hearts and clubs or some such. Anyway, I would pass here even if I thought that the double was likely to be t/o. Nothing to bid, and quite happy to defend.

BTW, the 1NT rebid should be 18-19 or thereabouts. If they really have the agreement that it is 15-17 then I am even happier to defend.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-30, 05:14

Double suggests Opener has made a mistake - quite likely they have forgotten that this 1NT should have extras regardless of the meaning their partner explains. The redouble is whatever E-W have agreed it to be, which is a bit of a cop-out but undeniably correct. That might be SOS as Helene suggests but equally could be clubs, any single-suiter, some flavour of 2-suited runout or even (unlikely if 15-17 is the real agreement) business. If you play a "fancy" 1NT runout method such as Helvic/Spelvic/Swine then this is a good place to extend its use.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-30, 06:27

Thanks. I had trouble envisaging partner with a penalty double hand after his pass so embarked on a sequence of bad bids. I guess he must be able to tolerate a pass from me there as my initial overall could be a lot weaker, giving me no second bid.

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-March-30, 09:28

View Postel mister, on 2016-March-30, 06:27, said:

Thanks. I had trouble envisaging partner with a penalty double hand after his pass so embarked on a sequence of bad bids. I guess he must be able to tolerate a pass from me there as my initial overall could be a lot weaker, giving me no second bid.

Partner could have as much as 14 pts with diamond strength, not enough to overcall 1N, wrong shape for takeout X and no suit to bid.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users