Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Walsh style and holding 5cM

#1 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-22, 14:57

Looking to incorporate Walsh-style responses in our 2/1 system, and the write-ups describing responder's hand with 4cM and a diamond suit all seem clear.

Just wondering how this impacts responder's hand with 5cM and no diamond suit - 5-3-3-2, 2-5-3-3 etc? Do you start with the major [opener taking it initially as a weak hand] then use something like xyz after opener's rebid to indicate invitational / strong hands [and must be showing 5+ in the major]? 2M rebid from responder would be weak and 5+.

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-March-22, 15:15

View Postel mister, on 2016-March-22, 14:57, said:

Do you start with the major

Yes, of course.

[opener taking it initially as a weak hand]

I don't quite see what you mean by this.

then use something like xyz after opener's rebid to indicate invitational / strong hands [and must be showing 5+ in the major]? 2M rebid from responder would be weak and 5+.

The nuances as to which responding structures are better in Walsh vs non-Walsh are somewhat subtle; at a non-expert level it's more than good enough to do whatever you were doing before you went for Walsh style responses. Yes, XYZ is one popular option.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-22, 22:47

View Postel mister, on 2016-March-22, 14:57, said:

Looking to incorporate Walsh-style responses in our 2/1 system, and the write-ups describing responder's hand with 4cM and a diamond suit all seem clear.

Just wondering how this impacts responder's hand with 5cM and no diamond suit - 5-3-3-2, 2-5-3-3 etc? Do you start with the major [opener taking it initially as a weak hand] then use something like xyz after opener's rebid to indicate invitational / strong hands [and must be showing 5+ in the major]? 2M rebid from responder would be weak and 5+.

Not sure what your exact question is.

The general answer I give you is yes you can play Walsh and XYZ.

If you are asking what does the following mean?

1c=1s
1nt=2s?......2s=weak and signoff.

--------

If you are asking what does this mean?
1c=1s
1nt=2c
2d=2s?

for me 6s and inv.. with 5 I need to rebid 2nt....pard will:
1)pass with all minimums
2) 3s with 3s and max
3) 3nt or 3h or other with max and no 3s-------
------

btw pard will bid reverse flannery with say 5s and 4h and just below inv.
---------

it may help if you have a specific problem hand...but in general ...walsh and xyz
--------

edit I should add that when playing xyz many many auctions come up undiscussed.
A typical example is:
1minor=1major
1nt=2c
2d=2major or 2nt?

for me 2 major=6 but 2nt may include a 5 card major.

#4 User is offline   el mister 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-23, 01:57

Thanks for the replies.
I think my question arises from reading a lot of Walsh treatments for 4cM hands, and wondering how opener evaluates the possibility of responder holding a 5cM.

e.g. 1c - 1s could be weak with 4, or 5+ with any strength. So thinking about the subsequent sequences to discriminate these hand types.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-23, 05:49

XYZ works well with Walsh because you need to be able to sign off in 2. But which check-back scheme is best for you also depends a bit on you 1nt rebid style. If 2 followed by 2M is invitational with 5+ in the major, opener better not have a singleton in responder's suit as he won't know whether 2M is a playable spot (6-card suit) or not (5-card suit).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users