The Ultimate 2d Discussion

#41 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-March-04, 07:39

View PostVampyr, on 2016-March-04, 06:36, said:

Chess is a very dissimilar game to bridge, but I wouldn't call it stupid. You may not like it, but lots of people find it fascinating.

He was being facetious.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#42 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-04, 11:08

I reiterate, Multi is a horrible bid, and clearly -EV. However, it frees up two bids to be something. If you can make those sufficiently +EV, you win.

For me, I like 2 aggressive (wide-ranging) natural. In the words of Auken and Anderson, "I've tried all the different kinds of toothpaste, and gone back to natural."

Have not played Wilkosz, of course (given where I live). I also find it odd (given where I live) that there are treatments for 2M that require Multi to play sanely that are Mid-chart (2), but since Multi is Mid-chart (6)...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#43 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-04, 12:45

View Postmycroft, on 2016-March-04, 11:08, said:

I reiterate, Multi is a horrible bid, and clearly -EV. However, it frees up two bids to be something. If you can make those sufficiently +EV, you win.

For me, I like 2 aggressive (wide-ranging) natural. In the words of Auken and Anderson, "I've tried all the different kinds of toothpaste, and gone back to natural."

Have not played Wilkosz, of course (given where I live). I also find it odd (given where I live) that there are treatments for 2M that require Multi to play sanely that are Mid-chart (2), but since Multi is Mid-chart (6)...

Well, according to this semi-dated article, the weak only multi 2 is actually +EV, but when pared with Tartan Twos (if they actually meant Tartan) was -EV. Han made some valid points here, so I think over my 'Spring' Break I will look at the recent BBs and try to decide.

For what it's worth, in a standard system I would play Flannery as outlined by Steve here, more than anything because I detest Weak 2. Not because I think they are worthless, but because for some reason I NEVER get good results playing it as weak or playing against it as weak.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#44 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 02:06

View PostVampyr, on 2016-March-04, 03:10, said:

Relying on opponents' unfamiliarity with a treatment is not the way most people prefer to play.

Being familiar with the game is part of skill.

And Wilkosz isn't even about abusing your unfamiliarity - it is more like fixing a hole in the system, having a catch all bid for hands that you really want to open but otherwise couldn't.

#45 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-March-05, 04:09

View Postgwnn, on 2016-March-04, 07:39, said:

He was being facetious.

Maybe, maybe not. It was an entirely irrelevant comment, with seemingly no purpose but to take a dig at chess.

View PostCharlie Yu, on 2016-March-05, 02:06, said:

Being familiar with the game is part of skill.

Yes, of course. And if you pick a method that is best, and the opponents are unfamiliar with it, fair enough. Although it is common courtesy to tell the opponents beforehand so they can agree on a defense (if the treatment is very uncommon where you live).

But choosing a method that you don't think is best except for the fact that opponents will not know how to defend is IMO sleazy.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#46 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-March-05, 04:16

View PostVampyr, on 2016-March-05, 04:09, said:

Maybe, maybe not. It was an entirely irrelevant comment, with seemingly no purpose but to take a dig at chess.

Actually it was not a dig at chess at all, but at your point (as in chess there are a lot of players who choose methods/openings only because they are unfamiliar to other players, and chess is clearly not a silly game - so his point is, if a lot of chess players enjoy it, wouldn't it follow that many bridge players also would enjoy it?). I am trying to help you here. nullve likes short and cryptic posts and I managed to decypher this one (I don't really agree with it but that's another story).
      George Carlin

#47 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-March-05, 05:06

View Postgwnn, on 2016-March-05, 04:16, said:

I am trying to help you here.

But is Vampyr the one who needs the help in this case?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#48 User is offline   Charlie Yu 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 05:11

View PostVampyr, on 2016-March-05, 04:09, said:

But choosing a method that you don't think is best except for the fact that opponents will not know how to defend is IMO sleazy.

And they deserve it if they didn't attempt to learn the ways to defend it.

#49 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-March-05, 05:12

Ok I see a pattern here, every time I post somewhere it becomes a meta discussion about meta discussions and at some point I will have to face the fact that I have something to do with this effect.
      George Carlin

#50 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-March-05, 06:24

View Postgwnn, on 2016-March-05, 05:12, said:

Ok I see a pattern here, every time I post somewhere it becomes a meta discussion about meta discussions and at some point I will have to face the fact that I have something to do with this effect.

It's because you try to be helpful Csaba and through that have gotten into a pattern of feeding trolls. The "utilitarian sacrifice" thread is a great example of that. It is total rubbish, and you know it is total rubbish - the only saving grace is that it is at least self-contained. I am all for trying to pull the small group of "difficult" posters into the community but supporting posts like this one is not the way, especially when it represents part of a thread derail as here.
(-: Zel :-)

#51 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-March-05, 08:32

View Postgwnn, on 2016-March-04, 07:39, said:

He was being facetious.

Yes, for the first time on BBF. Didn't mean to spark the Third World War, though.

#52 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-05, 14:43

View Posteagles123, on 2016-March-01, 17:53, said:

Never mind the bollocks - the best use for 2d opening is...

This:
http://community.dur...ments/bacon.php
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users