Page 1 of 1

1S dbl ?

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-20, 13:19

1S is 10-15 with 5+S , We're vulnerable, matchpoints

x xxxx xxx AKxxx

I can bid 1N to show clubs or pass. I want a club lead, not sure I want to take the bid here. Any suggestions? What if my hand were x xxxx AKxxx xxx? 2C now or pass?

Part of my question goes to just what I'm advertising in terms of strength/suit by bidding.

#2 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-February-20, 15:03

It's hard to say what to do without knowing a little more about your agreements over a takeout double.

Some people play that redouble is the only bid with a strong hand, so that free bids at the 2 level are non-forcing. Others play 2 level bids are forcing, redoubles implying no fit but values. What you do with either set of agreements will be entirely different.

It seems from your comments that you are playing transfer responses over TOx. If so, and they're non-forcing, you might consider bidding a 1 NT transfer to 2 . Likewise, with the other example hand, you might consider a 2 transfer to 2 . If you're playing the transfers as forcing, then you have to pass with both hands.

But there are a couple other things to consider. First of all, you have a stiff in opener's suit. You already know the hand is a bit of a misfit. Second, if RHO's TOx is typical, then RHO advertises length in the suits you have and relative shortness in opener's suit also confirming the potential misfit nature of the hand.

If partner has a fit in your suit or tolerance for it, partner will likely take the transfer. But if partner is short or void in your suit, partner may be forced to simply rebid 2 even with just 5 and not be in a good place. OTOH, if you pass, you might lose the opportunity to compete in your suit or deprive opener of some useful information for defending. Pay your money and take your choice.

But another consideration is that after a pass, partner might be able to compete further or the opponents might get to a bad spot. After 1 -(DBL)-PASS-2 - 2 , you can be comfortable passing as partner surely has 6 to bid them freely. After 1 -(DBL)-PASS-2 -DBL-(PASS), you can bid 3 fairly confident partner has some sort of fit. And occasionally, after 1 -(DBL)-PASS-2 -PASS/DBL-PASS, you can pass knowing the opponents are in a bad place (advancer likely has something like xxx Axx Kxx xxxx).

Personally, I'd prefer pass with the stated hands because of the misfit potential. Give your hand longer or a doubleton (tolerance for ) and I'd be much more apt to act.

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 07:24

yes bid. the whole point of transfers here is that you can happily bid on this kind of crap.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 07:49

View Postrmnka447, on 2016-February-20, 15:03, said:

It seems from your comments that you are playing transfer responses over TOx. If so, and they're non-forcing, you might consider bidding a 1 NT transfer to 2 . Likewise, with the other example hand, you might consider a 2 transfer to 2 . If you're playing the transfers as forcing, then you have to pass with both hands.

I think that transfers should be forcing, because the denomination under the suit you have will probably be an inferior spot.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-22, 07:49

delete duplicate please
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2016-February-22, 12:35

View Poststraube, on 2016-February-20, 13:19, said:

I can bid 1N to show clubs

Wrong forum.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users