BBO Discussion Forums: Someone please teach me how TOXs work - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Someone please teach me how TOXs work

#21 User is offline   creatbid 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-February-15, 01:55

The most important is to find the fit with your partner not to just care yourself unless your suit is self-sufficiently strong.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2016-February-15, 04:17

#22 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-February-15, 03:57

2c p p p is the worst sequence for a 2c overcall and, no, it's not uncommon.

#23 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-17, 06:36

This has quite possibly been the most educational BBF thread I've ever posted. Many thanks all.

miamijd, on 2016-February-14, 20:26, said:

What happened at the table?

After (1D)-X-(1H)-1S; (p), I bid 2S, 3D from LHO, passed back to me and I jumped to 4S - having thought that 2S was a pathetic underbid on the first time because, not having had the benefit of this thread, I thought that 1S would promise 5. Partner had KQxx and out in, I think, a 4342 and tried valiantly but ended up one off.

The key point for me to realise here was that 1S is limited to about 5-8 - hence I should (just about) be inviting, but not blasting game. One thing though is that we like to play 2S as pre-emptive in this sequence (so we would bid 2S in this auction with pretty much any TOX with 4-card support). Hence my question on 2D - my first instinct was that it should be GF, but perhaps just playing it as F1 with extra strength is useful to show, amongst other things, a 3-card raise like this one?

ahydra

#24 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-February-28, 14:29

wank, on 2016-February-15, 03:57, said:

2c p p p is the worst sequence for a 2c overcall and, no, it's not uncommon.

100 % this.

Just for the record since I find myself agreeing with almost everything you post lately I was surprised you said this:

partner's limited to about 7 or a bad 8 points, less with a 5 card spade suit

I know euros jump more aggressively than americans in this spot, but I would have thought that range is aggressive even for a euro even when it's not a free bid of 1S. That range seems way off to me for a free bid, you imply you will jump with an average 8 count and 4 spades. I can see this view when it's not a free bid and the 1S bid can be 0-whatever (I would still be a point heavier but w/e) but it seems really unnecessary when you are making a free bid.
The artist formerly known as jlall

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users