BBO Discussion Forums: Google has beaten Go, what could it do to bridge? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Google has beaten Go, what could it do to bridge?

#61 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-15, 06:22

Today in final round, AlphaGo have the victory over Lee sedol, the total score : 4:1
Congratulations to Google AlphaGo team ! Hats off to DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis !

1- Li kaifu thinks the thinking ability of AlphaGo on playing Go is stronger than human.
2- Almost of the professional Go champions admit AlphaGo's skill is stronger than human.
3- I think DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis, UK scientist, should obtain the Nobel Prize.

In weibo, more than one hundred million people are paying attention to the event. Some players are hoping that AlpfaGo may come out unexpectedly bug again, great pity that AlpfaGo never give any chance to human.

All the professional Go players of China are looking forword to play against AlphaGo. Our chinese desire is Welcome AlphaGo and Demis Hassabis to China !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image VS Posted Image

Posted Image

#62 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 06:22

I am not clear on what tactic Lee discovered. Are you saying that he played a "quiet position with few tactical possibilities"? (I have not seen the game record.) In any case, it did not carry over to game 5.

Lycier, while I understand your nationalistic pride, I really don't think Ke Jie will fare any differently.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#63 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 06:44

View Postmike777, on 2016-March-14, 22:49, said:

First three=AI
Forth=Human: Human says they won by playing unorthodox.
--------

Many Go players complain Human is old and weak player and should retire.

Posted Image

It is sure is, too many people including many Go fans become AlphaGo fans at present !

#64 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 06:48

View Postbillw55, on 2016-March-15, 06:22, said:

Lycier, while I understand your nationalistic pride, I really don't think Ke Jie will fare any differently.

Perhaps there are some language problems, what I said should have nothing to do with " nationalistic pride " .

#65 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 07:38

View Postlycier, on 2016-March-15, 06:48, said:

Perhaps there are some language problems, what I said should have nothing to do with " nationalistic pride " .

Perhaps I misunderstood. Your are in China, you sound like a big fan of China's current top player Ke Jie, and seem to believe him decisively superior to both Lee Sedol and AlphaGo.

At any rate, he is a professional, and so I expect he will play AlphaGo for the right price ... which is likely to be higher than Lee's. Time will tell.
-gwnn

#66 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 08:20

View Postbillw55, on 2016-March-15, 06:22, said:

I am not clear on what tactic Lee discovered. Are you saying that he played a "quiet position with few tactical possibilities"? (I have not seen the game record.) In any case, it did not carry over to game 5.

Having not played go since university, I could not say what the tactics were either but his comments suggest he played in an unconventional way and that was enough to throw the computer off in Game 4. For Game 5, either he was unable to reproduce the same type of position or the coding team adjusted the program to compensate. The unconventional play is the equivalent of "anti-computer tactics" in chess, which basically means creating positions that are as boring as possible. The other tactic from chess was long-term positional sacrifices such as the Benko Gambit. These methods will sometimes allow a very strong player to draw against a computer but it has been a long time since a human has won a multi-game match against a chess computer. By anaology, I would expect there to be similar kinks in the armour of AlphaGo for some time, generally in unusual positions where the usual rules are not helpful. Lee seems to have stumbled on such a weakness and I would expect the strongest Chinese players to get together now to analyse how they can best exploit that for the inevitable match that will follow.
(-: Zel :-)

#67 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 09:13

View Postbillw55, on 2016-March-15, 07:38, said:

Perhaps I misunderstood. Your are in China, you sound like a big fan of China's current top player Ke Jie, and seem to believe him decisively superior to both Lee Sedol and AlphaGo.

At any rate, he is a professional, and so I expect he will play AlphaGo for the right price ... which is likely to be higher than Lee's. Time will tell.

When we know AlphaGo Vs South Korea Lee sedol, all the people of China,Japan and South Korea are very shocked, all the peoples are very excited.
In fact, in South Korea, peoples pay close attention to this event more than to their presidential election.
In China, too many people also pay close attention to this event with over one hundred million.
For us, this is a great event,more interesting than concern with affairs of state. That's to say that a person without passion isn't real fans, just like USA NBA..
Assume AlphaBridge overcome the bridge champions team, I believe Europeans and americans also are very very excited, just like us.
So I think DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis, UK scientist, should obtain the Nobel Prize.

#68 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 09:19

View Postbillw55, on 2016-March-15, 07:38, said:

Our professional Go champions think we maybe have a chance to overcome AlphaGo due to its weakness at present, however after 5 months to 12 months, no one have ability to overcome AlphaGo !

#69 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 09:54

View Postlycier, on 2016-March-15, 09:13, said:

So I think DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis, UK scientist, should obtain the Nobel Prize.

Wow, you definitely have passion about this!
-gwnn

#70 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 10:06

View Postbillw55, on 2016-March-15, 09:54, said:

Wow, you definitely have passion about this!

We are most concerned about AlphaGo just passing by, then after its retirement, will leave the Go game forever.

#71 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 13:09

Was the AlphaGo team allowed to adjust the program betweeen games?

#72 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2016-March-15, 16:29

No adjustments between games. This was part of the conditions of contest.

Further, part of what's exciting from an AI standpoint is that AlphaGo is built on a very general machine learning framework. There isn't really human "expert knowledge" being hard coded in the way most chess programs have. This means even if they wanted to "adjust the program" between games there isn't really a way to do that.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#73 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2016-March-15, 17:39

What happened to the Japanese players? In the movie Go Masters the Japanese masters dominated Go in the thirties.

#74 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 19:00

Posted Image

Posted Image

AlphaGo won $1 million bonuses, lee se-dol got $170,000 appearance fees and bonuses.
AlphaGo Vs human war be impressive ,now it seems it is impossible for human to overcome AlphaGo, American technology is too strong, too terrible. AI will shape the future of human.

#75 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-March-15, 20:12

View Postlycier, on 2016-March-15, 06:22, said:

3- I think DeepMind founder Demis Hassabis, UK scientist, should obtain the Nobel Prize.

Unfortunately, there's no Nobel Prize category for Computer Science.

And I think Watson winning Jeopardy is an even higher achievement than this.

#76 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-15, 23:46

View Postawm, on 2016-March-15, 16:29, said:

This means even if they wanted to "adjust the program" between games there isn't really a way to do that.
You could retrain the network.

barmar said:

Unfortunately, there's no Nobel Prize category for Computer Science.
I'm sure he'll settle for the Turing prize.

#77 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-15, 23:59

AlphaGo Posted Image

Lee sedol Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-16, 06:00

View Postjogs, on 2016-March-15, 17:39, said:

What happened to the Japanese players? In the movie Go Masters the Japanese masters dominated Go in the thirties.

The Japanese professionals were the strongest for a very long time, from the 1600s until about the early 1990s. Then the Koreans overtook them and the Chinese not long after.
-gwnn

#79 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2016-March-16, 20:17

At the beginning of the event, almost of us never heard of what AlphaGo is,never believe AlphaGo can overcome human in this world's most complex game.
Now some Go champions think :
1- AlphaGo only shows about professional 6 duan skill in the beginning stage of layout.
2- ALphaGo miraculously owns about professional 13-15 duan skill in the intermediate stage,(the highest level of human skill is 9 duan.) far more than world Go champions, its precise calculation ability is far more than human, especially the most worthy of admiration is its " Overall Situation Assessing " is too good,really great, better than human !
3- Local processing ability is often worse than human.
4- All the Go champions know AlphaGo has great ability to improve their skill rapidly.They like it very much.
5- Only after several years in the future , if DeepMind team is willing to develop AlphfaGo , AlphaGo will have its own Go theory for sure, we 100% believe AlphaGo be Go god for sure, that is to say AlphaGo will have great ability to teach world Go champions " How To Play Go correctly " !!!

So I have to say how strong AlphaGo is,how terrible Google technology ! Hats off to AlphaGo !
This is my feeling.
Thanks to everyone, especially to the "OP".

#80 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-17, 00:56

View Postlycier, on 2016-March-15, 10:06, said:

We are most concerned about AlphaGo just passing by, then after its retirement, will leave the Go game forever.

Yes this is true... Alphago may retire but AI in general wlll live on.

thousands and thousands of years from now AI will live on.

Ancenters

-----

Humans can and do evolve along with machines.

For some reason many forbid evolution.

--------

genes are selfish

------------

genes jump species.

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users