• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A way to catch this spade break?

#1 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-January-10, 00:38

tinyurl.com/jzv5u4q

This auction recently happened to me in a IMPs instant tournament. I made a risky bid by doubling 4 for penalty (my partner having suggested 10-12 points and me liking the quick tricks I held in my hand and semi-long hearts). However, my partner raised me to 5. The interesting thing is 5 can make if only the spade break can be predicted. On a heart lead by south-- i trumped the first trick, took a diamond finesse (which lost) and then drew trump. After winning one round of spades with the ace, i was unable to detect the bad spade break and went for the percentage play of cashing the king. After that i lost two clubs tricks going down two. Does anyone see any piece of information in the auction or play by the opponents that could give hint to the spade break and let the contract make?
:-)

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-10, 02:38

I don't understand, how did you lose 2 clubs, dummy had a trump left after the 2-2 trump break, so your 2 losing clubs should have been dealt with by one being ruffed and the other discarded on the 5th spade. You can afford to lose a spade and a diamond. Also it's normal to overcall 1 rather than double which leads to playing 4 rather than 5.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 03:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-10, 02:38, said:

I don't understand, how did you lose 2 clubs, dummy had a trump left after the 2-2 trump break, so your 2 losing clubs should have been dealt with by one being ruffed and the other discarded on the 5th spade.
Yes, drew an unnecessary extra round of trumps.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-January-10, 02:38, said:

Also it's normal to overcall 1 rather than double which leads to playing 4 rather than 5.
It's also normal for North to offer 4S instead of 5D on the auction as stated (if not showing Spades earlier), which would also have led to 4S. But you can of course only bid your own hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 03:18

I don't see how 5 fails, with diamonds 2-2 or even 3-1. Don't take the diamond finesse, ruff two clubs, using A and a heart ruff as entries. You lose one diamond and one spade. But of course it's easy to see that after the event....

Losing the diamond finesse also exposes you to a spade ruff, if the spades were 4-0.

#5 User is offline   Elyk25 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-10, 22:58

Oh geez I must have been asleep playing this hand! I just realized what happened-- i pulled an extra round of trump and cashed the Ace of clubs earlier to pull the Diamond finesse (worried of course that my long spades would be trumped by someone having a void before i finessed a diamond). Then without a diamond in the dummy (after trump were gone) I unnecessarily lost two club tricks that could have been SO easily avoided when i realized the bad spade split. Thanks for the replies.
:-)

#6 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 03:15

View PostElyk25, on 2016-January-10, 22:58, said:

Oh geez I must have been asleep playing this hand!
Don't beat yourself up about it! Often happens to me too :unsure: , and I'm sure to plenty of others. I think my general level of play is slowly improving as I get more practice on BBO, but I still have the most unspeakable cock-ups to my credit....

Better luck with your future hands!

#7 User is offline   oryctolagi 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 03:28

Actually, I just realised, if the diamonds had been 3-1, it's quite possible to go down if the cards lie badly. Whoever holds Kxx holds up the K till the third round, then leads a 4th heart, forcing you to ruff with your last trump. So you can no longer risk to give up a spade. But that's what Bridge is all about!

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-11, 04:49

View Postoryctolagi, on 2016-January-11, 03:28, said:

Actually, I just realised, if the diamonds had been 3-1, it's quite possible to go down if the cards lie badly. Whoever holds Kxx holds up the K till the third round, then leads a 4th heart, forcing you to ruff with your last trump. So you can no longer risk to give up a spade. But that's what Bridge is all about!

You play spades before playing all the trumps.

For example cross to dumy with a club and take the trump finesse finishing in hand if it wins. If all follow and it wins you're home. Now take the spade finesse, what's the worst that can happen ? You're never losing more than a spade and a trump.

If the trump finesse loses and a club comes back, ruff, cash one spade, cross back to hand with a heart ruff and lead another spade, if it's ruffed in front the spades are established and you're in control, if LHO discards, play K and another spade, if he follows, finesse, either RHO ruffs or wins Q but the spades are established without a further loser.

The contract is solid unless one of the suits is 4-0. You may even be able to do better than this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users