BBO Discussion Forums: Missing Alert - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing Alert

#1 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-January-02, 11:43

Question about missing alert:
By local alert regulations players must alert 1N, if they have 5M.
Playing the following hand:

Arriving at the following situation, I have a choice to go to hand by diamond or spade - from the play it is likely that spades split 5-3, although from not having the alert I figure they are 4-4, and I do have small making chances if the H are 2-2, alternatively I can go for a diamond for down 1.
What I am curious for is do I have protection from the law on the case spades are as they are(Taking into account that there has to be alert if 1N can contain 5M.

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-January-02, 11:56

it depends. if west opened 1nt anti-systemically, then it's in the same category as a psyche. tough luck to you.

if 1nt is their normal opening on this hand, east should have alerted and you've been misinformed and you're in principle entitled to redress.

by the way, this regulation is a bit pathetic. but pathetic regulations are still regulations.

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-02, 12:03

I hope you should have written:
By local alert regulations players must alert 1N, if according to their partnership understandings they can have 5M.
because what you wrote is actually meaningless, such a regulation would be illegal (sorry!).

But I doubt whether you should have protection if you select to play for the spades breaking 4-4 in spite of the missing alert.
1: You write that from the play it is likely that spades split 5-3,
and
2: Why not just ask if the 1NT opening bid should have been alerted?

I would most likely rule that failing to ask for possible misinformation and then play for the spades 4-4 is attempting a "double shot".

(And if the partnership understanding is indeed no 5M with a 1N opening bid then there is no misinformation here, just a misbid)

#4 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-January-02, 12:23

@Wank - I honestly find the local regulations silly as they are, but the point is - if there is one, then we all are equal under the rule.

@pran - As I side note I have been bumed in a similar situation as 1N bidder in a different situation with a similar idea, that I had a shape, I should not have, and it could have made a difference, that time it was in Europian Youth Championships - Figure the TD knows what he was doing at the time.

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-02, 13:41

Ruff 1 club, play a heart to the ace followed by diamonds is the called for line of play after the double so I think the result was self inflicted. Either that or ruff the 2nd spade and lead a low heart if you really think the hearts may be 2-2.

You may have been damaged under other circumstances but I can't save you from an unfortunate line of play that has no bearing on the spade split.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-January-02, 15:01

What am I missing? After ruffing a club, cash Q pitching remaining club, then A and a heart. I would be embarrassed to call the director after the original line of play. On the original line of play, why not ask opponents if 5 card major is possible (even though there wasn't an alert) before making a decision?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users