BBO Discussion Forums: I have no idea how to find suit fit for slam - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I have no idea how to find suit fit for slam

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-November-24, 09:11

If I double over 2 directly,I am afraid that partner also bid up to 4,that will be very difficult to deal with hand.
Many thanks for any suggestion.

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 10:11

You don't need to find a suit fit, 6N is cold. I'd have been bidding over 3N with the E hand, how depends on my methods.

#3 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-November-24, 10:42

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-November-24, 10:11, said:

You don't need to find a suit fit, 6N is cold. I'd have been bidding over 3N with the E hand, how depends on my methods.

3NT here typically shows a long minor and a spade stop. I think normally with big balanced hands you double and then bid 3NT.

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 10:58

That does seem to leave W without a bid on this hand. You wouldn't be happy to hear 4 if you Xed.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 11:00

View PostJinksy, on 2015-November-24, 10:58, said:

That does seem to leave W without a bid on this hand. You wouldn't be happy to hear 4 if you Xed.

Depends what you play 4NT over 4 as.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-November-24, 11:49

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-November-24, 10:42, said:

3NT here typically shows a long minor and a spade stop. I think normally with big balanced hands you double and then bid 3NT.

It can be that, but even so, you have some safety above 3N, your hand is far from terrible if pd does have AKQxxxx, and he is not under pressure, he has 2N available so should have plenty of playing strength. The key is to be able to play in 4N if necessary which we can as kickback would apply (we would also play a form of stayman/transfers over 3N).

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-24, 16:19

I'm using the one card different approach and starting with a double, then bidding 3 NT over 3 . If partner somehow decides to roll out 4 , then I'll go wild.

(One card different approach = if one card say a minor card was a , then you'd have no trouble doubling and bidding NT. So by doing so, you're only one card off from telling the truth.)

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-November-24, 16:20

I'm using the one card different approach and starting with a double, then bidding 3 NT over 3 . If partner somehow decides to roll out 4 , then I'll go wild.

(One card different approach = if one card say a minor card was a , then you'd have no trouble doubling and bidding NT. So by doing so, you're only one card off from telling the truth.)

#9 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 17:32

View Postrmnka447, on 2015-November-24, 16:20, said:

Over double, partner will bid 4.

#10 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-November-24, 17:42

I suggest 4 = transfer to hearts followed by 4NT = invitational with 5 hearts. Over which West can bid 5 or 5NT (pick-a-slam) or whatever.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-24, 19:53

Double is easy. With your strength and spades, partner is extremely unlikely to make a penalty pass--and the rebid over the dreaded 4 is 6NT. (over 4 or especially 4, I might be searching for a grand.)

#12 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-24, 20:56

View Postmikestar13, on 2015-November-24, 19:53, said:

Double is easy. With your strength and spades, partner is extremely unlikely to make a penalty pass--and the rebid over the dreaded 4 is 6NT. (over 4 or especially 4, I might be searching for a grand.)

You said double is easy,really?
Assume that East might hold J, KQJxx, Jxxxx, Jx, after your double,your partner always bid up to 4,then you will bid up to 6N? How do you get 12 tricks?

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-November-25, 02:44

View Postmikestar13, on 2015-November-24, 19:53, said:

At least bid 5N pick a slam if you play this, so you play 6 on the hand lycier gives which is way better than 6N.

#14 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 03:32

The 3nt bid is ok imho. The hand is a bit strong but you have no good alternative.

As others have said, if you can double and follow up with a natural 4NT that is cool. Or maybe dbl followed by a 4 bid, asking for a second suit. But that requires agreement.

After 3NT, maybe East needs to do something. But W could have had a less suitable hand. Kx-A-Kxx-AKQxxxx is a quite typical hand. So E can't force to slam. A transfer to hearts following by a natural 5 bid would be ideal, W will raise to 6 or maybe make a grand slam try. Without any agreements I would try 4 and hope partner takes it as a two-suited hand with slam interest. But maybe this is too much adjective bridge :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-November-25, 07:17

I learned the methods of both Mgoetze and Helene_t,I found three ways :

1- Aggressive way

Now "bid and make",just like top players.Posted Image

2- A conservative approach

However I have to say 4nt is a disadvantage.If opener hold AK2, A, Kxxxx, Ajxx, after 4nt,opener will pass,never 5 for slam.

3- Lebensohl approach

Is this a good idea?
If I have some mistakes,would you tell me? Thank you in advance.

#16 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 07:34

I've got plenty of sympathy for 3NT, but I think I would prefer to start with a double on the West hand. Partner won't ALWAYS jump to 4H and if they do, I'll pull to 4NT and hope they can show a second suit!

I think a more typical hand for the actual auction is something like the hand helene posted: Kx-A-Kxx-AKQxxxx (or even a high card weaker) so I would be less optimistic about slam chances. Because we hold 5/5 in the reds and only Jx this hand type is even more likely.

In situations where partner is forced into bidding 3NT under pressure, many established partnerships use 4C as an 'asking bid'. I'm not sure of the best responding structure but 4D might show any minimum with a long suit, 4H/4S/4NT various strength balanced hands and 5x a more powerful single suiter. If you had that available it might be useful!

#17 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-25, 11:51

this is all rubbish. we're not worried about partner jumping to 4h. the worry is partner removing 3nt to 4h on a later round (2s-p-p-x-p-2nt-p-3nt-p-4h). double followed by 3nt should show tolerance for hearts. we don't have it.

we also don't want partner bidding lebensohl because if he has anything in spades it'll be wrong-sided (think jx or 10xx).

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-November-27, 13:47

View Postwank, on 2015-November-25, 11:51, said:

this is all rubbish. we're not worried about partner jumping to 4h. the worry is partner removing 3nt to 4h on a later round (2s-p-p-x-p-2nt-p-3nt-p-4h). double followed by 3nt should show tolerance for hearts. we don't have it.

we also don't want partner bidding lebensohl because if he has anything in spades it'll be wrong-sided (think jx or 10xx).

auction misread? i see 2s followed by the big hand.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users