BBO Discussion Forums: your bid and after i show the hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

your bid and after i show the hand

#1 User is offline   cencio 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-November-26, 09:14

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-November-26, 10:52

X followed by or 3. I'd probably go for the latter

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-26, 12:16

Methods count. In my partnerships, we show a heart-minor two suiter by bidding 4m….obviously that requires a good hand but so too does using 3S for that. This ‘leaping Michaels’ is so common as to be pretty much expert standard. That works well here, allowing me to bid 3S, showing a hand on which I expect/hope to make 3N if partner has a spade stopper. I don’t think I could have a clearer example of a 3S bid other than wishing for an extra diamond, and then I’d be worried about slam in diamonds, even opposite a passed hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-November-26, 12:56

mikeh, on 2023-November-26, 12:16, said:

Methods count. In my partnerships, we show a heart-minor two suiter by bidding 4m….obviously that requires a good hand but so too does using 3S for that. This ‘leaping Michaels’ is so common as to be pretty much expert standard. That works well here, allowing me to bid 3S, showing a hand on which I expect/hope to make 3N if partner has a spade stopper. I don’t think I could have a clearer example of a 3S bid other than wishing for an extra diamond, and then I’d be worried about slam in diamonds, even opposite a passed hand.

My issue with 3 is that a spade stop might not be your 9th trick if it's not the ace.

consider partner looking at QJxx, x, xx, Q109xxx for example

I think I have to double, KQxxx in either hearts or clubs could easily be enough for a slam, and we play lebensohl over this so I will have an idea if partner has a decent hand and if he does and only has 4 hearts, whether he has a spade stop.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-November-26, 13:12

Cyberyeti, on 2023-November-26, 12:56, said:

My issue with 3 is that a spade stop might not be your 9th trick if it's not the ace.

consider partner looking at QJxx, x, xx, Q109xxx for example

I think I have to double, KQxxx in either hearts or clubs could easily be enough for a slam, and we play lebensohl over this so I will have an idea if partner has a decent hand and if he does and only has 4 hearts, whether he has a spade stop.

We can all make up hands to justify our bidding. But imagining that the opps have a nine card heart fit….and that they’ll attack hearts on opening lead, or have time to do so PLUS imagining an alternate hand on which we make 4H but not 3N requires a lot of wishful thinking. I don’t have the time (nor any longer the software) to do a simulation but I’d bet that 3S is a clear winner over double….unless (maybe) you are able to guess well over whatever partner does. For example, with say Axx Jxxx xx xxxx he’ll bid 2N then 3H. Good luck over that…oh…anyone who claims they’d now bid 3S is almost surely kidding us and/or themselves.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-November-26, 13:42

mikeh, on 2023-November-26, 13:12, said:

We can all make up hands to justify our bidding. But imagining that the opps have a nine card heart fit….and that they'll attack hearts on opening lead, or have time to do so PLUS imagining an alternate hand on which we make 4H but not 3N requires a lot of wishful thinking. I don't have the time (nor any longer the software) to do a simulation but I'd bet that 3S is a clear winner over double….unless (maybe) you are able to guess well over whatever partner does. For example, with say Axx Jxxx xx xxxx he'll bid 2N then 3H. Good luck over that…oh…anyone who claims they'd now bid 3S is almost surely kidding us and/or themselves.

I would hope South would be bidding 3 rather than 3 over 2NT

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2023-November-26, 14:40

mw64ahw, on 2023-November-26, 13:42, said:

I would hope South would be bidding 3 rather than 3 over 2NT

Of course, and maybe partner won’t then bid 3H. But, since then we want partner to bid 3N with a spade stopper, how much h further are we ahead compared to 3S? Ok, if 3D is the limit. But I’m not going to be that pessimistic with this hand

#8 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-26, 14:47

I play the direct 3 as weaker Michaels, 5(+)5(+)m. It is forcing to the 4-level, but the leap to 4m instead shows a strong hand with more slam interest. That means I have to double with this hand, and will bid 3 over partner's likely Lebensohl.

#9 User is offline   cencio 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-26, 15:08

I was sud playing a tournment with robots

#10 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-November-26, 16:32

Well I'd have opened the N hand comfortably 1. That shape would be impossible for us as it would either be a 1 opener or an Ekren.

In fact, given that we play a 5 card multi, 5 spades to an honour would be vanishingly unlikely. I nearly posted a question about your 2 bids.

#11 User is offline   fuzzyquack 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-27, 12:05

cencio, on 2023-November-26, 15:08, said:

I was sud playing a tournment with robots

+800 scored quite well for me. With bots you have no choice - 3S shows 25+ and 7N is a likely response

#12 User is offline   cencio 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-November-27, 12:52

Looking for other result: someone bid 5 d.other 3nt plus 3. The only one that bid a 6 h has gone down. And bid 3s over2s

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users