BBO Discussion Forums: What next? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What next?

Poll: Your bid? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What next?

1. pass (14 votes [93.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. 4 spades (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Hilver 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Besides bridge, cycling and reading

Posted 2015-October-18, 14:44

Teams
W / all white

Sitting West You hold:
A K Q 7 5 3 2
K 7
10 7 2

The bidding, opponents don't interfere,:

1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
?

1 = 12- 15 HCP, 5+-card
2 = 5+-card , game forcing

What will be Your bid?

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-October-18, 14:50

you've bid your hand - pass
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-October-18, 15:55

Why only two options? 4 should be forward going, I'd say, so why not show my diamond control?

Also, what would 4 be at each step of the way? If that's all partner wanted to play s/he could have bid it earlier.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#4 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 01:00

View PostHanoi5, on 2015-October-18, 15:55, said:

Also, what would 4 be at each step of the way? If that's all partner wanted to play s/he could have bid it earlier.

To me (playing that 1S is 11--16 and 2H GF with 5+H):

1S--4H = Void splinter. With a hand wanting to play 4H no matter what, we bid forcing 1NT first.
1S--2H; 2S--4H = Solid heart suit.
1S--2H; 2S--4S = Picture bid. Typically 4-5-2-2 minimum opener without controls in the minors.
1S--2H; 2S--2NT; 3X--4H = Strong suggestion to play.

4H should be forward going, what else can partner do with solid hearts and slam interest? Chances are that I'd still pass 4H out of doubt, but that's probably wrong with sensible agreements. We play that responder usually bids 2NT after 1S--2H; 2S unless responder has extras.

Playing limited 1M I think 2S is the wrong rebid as opener. What does 2S mean? What would 2NT, 3S or 3NT mean? We play the following:

1S--2H;
2S = Catch-all. Most minimum hands without heart support bids this. Even some hands with extras bids this.
2NT = 3+ hearts and extras. Responder can ask for shortness with 3C.
3m = 5 card minor and some extras.
3H = 3+ hearts, minimum.
3S = Good suit and some extras.
3NT = Solid major, singleton heart, something in both minors.
4m = Splinter, minimum.
4S = Sub-minimum opener with long suit but did not want to open with a preempt. About 9--11 hcp.

With opener's hand I would bid 3S or 3NT. The problem with 3NT is the club suit, but at least we show our excellent spade suit. By jumping to 3S instead partner might think we're stronger and that we have more scattered values.

#5 User is offline   Hilver 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Besides bridge, cycling and reading

Posted 2015-October-19, 02:34

@Hanoi5

I gave only these two options because according to our system agreements that are the only two options for opener in this biddingsequence.
Otherwise the 4bidder would have made a different bid then 4.

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 05:11

Especially in the context of a limited opening system, you would've done much better to start describing your hand on the previous round of the auction.

Assuming you play relatively natural continuations, then after 1S - 2H this hand should fall into the range of either 3S or 4S. After one of those bids partner will be in a great position to place the final contract.

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 08:28

I would have bid 4 on the third round. This suit can play opposite a void.

edit: just now seeing that 1 is 12-15. In that case, 3 on the second round gives the same message.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-October-19, 10:03

If your hand were something like Axxxxx x AKx xxx, would you bid it any differently? Looking at a 5 loser hand, I think you've got to do something more sooner in the auction. My choice would be to bid 3 as my initial rebid, then repeat spades to show the hand based on a long strong suit. If that's too rich for you, then jumping to 4 on the 3rd round of bidding would seem reasonable.

Given the actual auction, it could be that partner has a mirror hand in -- x AKQxxxx xxx Kx. But you can't know that for sure. It's also possible that partner has 6 fairly solid , a stiff and concerns that won't play as well as , especially if you don't have good . It might be something like x AKJ10xx xxx Axx. If the former hand, either major is OK, but if the latter, 4 is preferable.

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-20, 10:05

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-October-19, 05:11, said:

Especially in the context of a limited opening system, you would've done much better to start describing your hand on the previous round of the auction.

Assuming you play relatively natural continuations, then after 1S - 2H this hand should fall into the range of either 3S or 4S. After one of those bids partner will be in a great position to place the final contract.

What would you actually need for 4? Is that supposed to be a picture bid? I've read about them in the context of you having bid two suits, showing values in just those suits, but what would it show when you've only bid one? If just values in that one, doesn't it misdescribe a hand with the K? If it can have some random outside king, isn't it a fairly useless bid?

For me 3 permanently sets the suit, which is uncomfortable with such bad pips, but I think I'd bid it here with such bad heart tolerance, since I have a lot of sympathy with rmnka's point that you could be endplayed into having no other options than rebidding your suit with a much worse holding.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-20, 11:02

The question is what to do now, not what should I have done...but, I will offer the same gratuitous sentiment as the others did --- you should have bid 3 over 2.

My answer: Pass, having already screwed it up. My success rate in trying to fix what I have broken is not high.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-23, 17:10

View PostHilver, on 2015-October-19, 02:34, said:

I gave only these two options because according to our system agreements that are the only two options for opener in this biddingsequence.

Then this ought to be a system question. This hand has 7.5PT and a solid spade suit - did 3 show such a hand? What do you use 2NT, 3, 3NT and 4 rebids for? What would 4 on the third round have been? It seems difficult to believe that you would have fewer options to describe this hand in a limited OB structure than a standard one. If our hands are so tied, perhaps we should even have considered upgrading this to 16hcp!
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users