Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4th from Longest

#1 User is offline   resnad 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-15, 19:33

Our convention card indicates the lead is 4th from longest when defending against A NT contract.
In the real world Is a deviation from the CC a legal lead?
If the lead is deviation from the CC and consequently defeats the contract can the director be called and what is the penalty ?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-16, 01:01

Hi Resnad, welcome to the forum!

You can lead what you want. That is an important principle: The lead itself can never be an infraction. Only the way you filled in your CC can be an infraction (if 4th best is not your true partnership understanding).

If you deviate from the lead and it damages declarer because he trusts your lead to be 4th best, the director may investigate.

The director may conclude that your deviation can be explained by you thinking that the 4th best could cost a trick or would be difficult to read as a small card by partner. In that case there is no issue.

But if you led the 3rd or 5th for no particular reason then the incident may be recorded. If it happens often, it is evidence that 4th best is not your true partnership agreement and you need to disclose it differently.

Note that if you defeated the contract because you found a technically better lead of the 3rd or the 5th then there is no reason to adjust the score.

It is only if the director judges that 4th best is not your real partnership understanding, and declarer took a line that was reasonable given the information that you lead 4th best, and he went down because he was misled by the signal, that he may decide to adjust the score.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-October-16, 07:57

I've moved this thread from Offline Bridge to General Bridge Discussion. This question is just as meaningful for online bridge as offline.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 08:22

It's absolutely fair ball for tactical reasons as long as your partner is unaware.

In a KO match I once got the 2 lead (4th best) against my spade grand slam and with several options for my 13th trick I ruffed a club in dummy.

Over ruffed, the leader had 7 of them. It was a push on the same lead!
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-16, 09:53

1NT(12-14)-X(penalty)-XX(penalty)-AP.

True to his card, Opening leader led his fourth-best...J. Of 7.

Ah well, at least I have a story.

On the topic: I have nothing to say that hasn't been said. "your system is an agreement with partner, not a promise to opponents." However, "your system consists of agreements, express *and implied*, generated through discussion *and experience*. Failure to disclose an agreement discovered through shared experience is just as much Misinformation as an agreement explicitly discussed."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   resnad 

• Pip

Posted 2015-October-16, 12:56

Thanks for that

#7 User is offline   resnad 

• Pip

Posted 2015-October-16, 13:06

If i didn't lead the 4th ( being a 2 ) with the only excuse that it would give declarer my shape (4.4.4.1) after my first discard on a lead of the singleton suit.
Is that sufficient reason.

#8 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-16, 15:51

View Postresnad, on 2015-October-16, 13:06, said:

If i didn't lead the 4th ( being a 2 ) with the only excuse that it would give declarer my shape (4.4.4.1) after my first discard on a lead of the singleton suit.
Is that sufficient reason.

Quite sufficient--it may backfire if partner misreads that hand, but may gain if declarer does. A legitimate falsecard.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users