• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just an auction. What if any is the UI?

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2015-October-18, 20:43

I wasn't sure here if the earlier UI was duplicated by the subsequent AI.

The pass by responder over 2 was slow.

Given the subsequent bid of 2 is there any unauthorised information contained in the slow pass that might constrain opener's 3 bid?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-18, 23:10

This boils down to the question "what information was conveyed by the break in tempo?" I think the answer is that South was considering bidding on. When he later reopens, that tells you more - he was considering bidding spades. But the BIT didn't convey anything not included in that, so I think North can bid 3 if he wants to do so.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 06:32

The break in tempo tells North that South didn't quite have enough to bid 1 - 2, and a bit more than enough for 1 - pass in tempo - 2, so I think there is UI, but not a lot of it.

#4 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2015-October-19, 07:50

View PostVixTD, on 2015-October-19, 06:32, said:

The break in tempo tells North that South didn't quite have enough to bid 1 - 2, and a bit more than enough for 1 - pass in tempo - 2, so I think there is UI, but not a lot of it.

I am inclined to agree. Nevertheless if that is correct that UI would suggest bidding 3 to north over pass as you are now at the top end (in some sense) of 2 or the bottom end of 2 a round earlier and had misjudged. Is that conclusion correct?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-19, 07:57

It seems the UI could demonstrably suggest NOT bidding 3. Yet, opener did so. It wouldn't occur to me to even think about calling for a ruling.

My read is that with 6 Spades responder would have bid 2S on the previous round and the UI suggests he only has five, and Diamond shortness.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2015-October-19, 12:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-October-19, 07:57, said:

It seems the UI could demonstrably suggest NOT bidding 3. Yet, opener did so. It wouldn't occur to me to even think about calling for a ruling.

My read is that with 6 Spades responder would have bid 2S on the previous round and the UI suggests he only has five, and Diamond shortness.

Why would someone jump in to a potential misfit auction with only five spades and no diamond tolerance?

Its possible the UI suggests not bidding 3. I would like to hear the arguments.
Wayne Burrows

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users