BBO Discussion Forums: Referee needed for off the rails bidding - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Referee needed for off the rails bidding Bidding Disaster

#21 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-09, 15:12

View PostCaitlynne, on 2015-October-09, 08:00, said:

The 2S raise was inadvisable since it promises 3 card support and there is nothing about the hand pattern or the nature of the 2 card spade tolerance that is noteworthy or suggestive that the partnership truly belongs in spades. A negative/card showing Double or Pass would be fine.

I prefer the Double because, if your and LHO both Pass and partner reopens with a Double, 3C does not do justice to the hand (unless you play Good/Bad 2NT here) and either 2NT or 4C seem speculative.

Regardless, 4S clearly was an overbid. A game try is reasonable and, to that end, a natural 2NT seems about right.

I largely agree with Caitlynne's comments here. However, I think that Pass, not Double, is right with the West hand. If East reopens with a Double, the standard bid is/should be 2NT showing this hand with clubs. That's because a negative Dbl risks 3D from opener and then West would be stuck. Switch West's clubs and diamonds, however, and a negative Dbl is best because now West can correct East's bid of 3C with 3D.

Of course, I have to wonder why East did not open 1NT. Perhaps, however, that is avoided with a small doubleton?

#22 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-09, 16:14

1NT-3 (Puppet)-3-3NT-P.

Others are right, though. You need Bergen to be off after an overcall.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#23 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 02:50

I would have taken passing and then bidding a new suit at the three level as a fit non-jump.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#24 User is offline   Corral_2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 10:04

View PostCorral_2, on 2015-October-08, 20:19, said:

ALL VUL

E/W play NT 15-17, and also play puppet over 1 & 2 NT, so often open NT with 5 card major, and play Bergen raises by passed hand and over overcalls so 3 clubs was not an option. Result 4S-2. Was 2s wrong? Should pd expect 3 card support? Was 4S called for?

Further down in this discussion I caused things to get convoluted by typing something that was the opposite of what I meant,

We play Bergen by passed hand, and over doubles but NOT over interference. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa.

#25 User is offline   danmathies 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-October-10, 21:48

east 100 percent- when u bit like a little girl these things happen. be a man and open 1nt

#26 User is offline   monikrazy 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-October-13, 18:06

At least 80% West

Even with the understanding that partnership should open 5CM, this hand can be evaluated as slightly better than 17 points and too good for a 1N open (especially given the vul)

West has the values for a negative double, and will be in a much better position to judge how the contract should continue after partner's next bid. East has other better choices tha jumping to game but its not as egregious an error.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users