Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mea culpa Leniency?

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-19, 21:08

There is a discussion on BW about whether SP should be treated more leniently because they have confessed.

I initially thought that they shouldn't be. When they confessed exposure was, after all, looming.

Now I think yes. By confessing they have saved hundreds of man-hours cracking the code. Of course maybe it has been cracked without public disclosure, but if not I imagine that they will cooperate and give details of their methods. The knowledge of a further way to cheat can only be helpful; people are starting to know what to look out for.

But the main reason I think they should be shown more leniency is the possible consequences of a conviction by their NBO. Who can forget Cohen-Katz? NBOs cannot afford many such lawsuits. Especially because in many countries you have to pay your own legal costs even if you win, but even if this is not the case but the legal costs are considerable, a judgment in your favour does not mean that the losers will ever actually be able to pay. So the outcome for an NBO being sued is bad for the NBO, no matter what the actual outcome of the case.

And FS in particular seem trigger-happy as to lawsuits!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users