• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

technical vs practical

#21 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-09, 17:28

It may be because I am a simple soul but Nige1 seems to have the best approach. It is easy to do (not much guesswork) and still works against a reasonable amount of opps possible holdings. The play to trick 2 low to the J (vs low to the spade T) has the same 50% chance of making and then the vienna coupe type squeeze can work against both opps. The compound type squeeze set up by playing a spade to the T (and losing) is much more limited since it is possible for both opps to guard hearts and even to try it requires a guess as to when and how to perform it (maybe that's what scares me the most). Nige1 works when either opp has 4d and the spade K OR when lho is guarding both dia and hearts .there is nothing the opps can do and it requires no guesswork merely counting the suits.

#22 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 07:09

View PostBillPatch, on 2015-September-09, 14:39, said:

I don't understand why we should make the assumption that only lho can guard the diamonds. I doubt that adopting the squeeze technique optimized for RHO never holding the stopper will be optimal for the actual case.

Nobody leads from Tx against a NT slam. I challenge you to construct a hand where that looks right on this deal.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 07:27

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-10, 07:09, said:

Nobody leads from Tx against a NT slam. I challenge you to construct a hand where that looks right on this deal.

Kx-Qxxx-Tx-Jxxxx?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-10, 08:27

Let you just a while. It is the second time (the first -i don't would mistake but if don't remember wrong there is in another topic also Nige1) that seems to me that squeeze that i indicated in my post is not known (why do you not apply/consider it?). For that one - the two losers delayed duck (that Inquiry in another topic named CLE ) - is used when ducking can take a damage (to communications) or it is impossibile to do. En passant : the acronim CLE is an help that Love use to remember squeeze ending composition. How are they genereted if we start from the 5 simple squeeze endings. It simply adding a loser in them (i now tell quickly without ultherior specify). Than criss -cross delayed duck became from a criss-cross (/) + a loser. Fourthemore, because you are yet discussing about diamond as lie, it being an automatic works against E or W and also : the squeeze trick can be in N or S and it is (here) comprehensives of Nige1 indication (about heart idle card). I hope in future to see it is again (and visualized too), bye.

#25 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 10:28

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-10, 07:27, said:

Kx-Qxxx-Tx-Jxxxx?

Then you are cold off anyway. :)

#26 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-September-10, 10:58

There must be millions of such hands e.g.
J x x x Q x x x T x J x x.

#27 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 11:43

View Postnige1, on 2015-September-10, 10:58, said:

There must be millions of such hands e.g.
J x x x Q x x x T x J x x.

Maybe you should poll it, but I would be very surprised if a diamond was a majority lead here. I would lead a heart. Against slams with no invite, leading aggressively and setting up your trick is usually the way to go.

Also, you had to give lots of slow cards in this example, because most people would much prefer to lead from xxxx or even xxx than xx if they are going passive against a slam. It isnt that likely that you are on lead against a slam and have no suit > 2 cards with no honours.

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-10, 12:15

Leader can have T9.

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-September-10, 13:08

View Postnige1, on 2015-September-06, 16:24, said:

The defender with long hearts is more likely to hold the queen. Hence, if the knave loses to the queen, then the likelihood that West has sole heart control increases.

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-09, 04:14, said:

Since the hand with more hearts is more likely to have the Q, it must be the case that the hand which has the Q is more likely to have long hearts.
The simulation just demonstrated that this can be the case even when the hand has slightly fewer vacant places.

View Postnige1, on 2015-September-10, 10:58, said:

There must be millions of such hands e.g. J x x x Q x x x T x J x x.

View Postphil_20686, on 2015-September-10, 11:43, said:

Maybe you should poll it, but I would be very surprised if a diamond was a majority lead here. I would lead a heart. Against slams with no invite, leading aggressively and setting up your trick is usually the way to go. Also, you had to give lots of slow cards in this example, because most people would much prefer to lead from xxxx or even xxx than xx if they are going passive against a slam. It isnt that likely that you are on lead against a slam and have no suit > 2 cards with no honours.
Leads are a matter of judgement. If phil_20686 really believes that nobody (except me) would lead a , then he can can poll it.

#30 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-September-10, 14:29

View Postgszes, on 2015-September-09, 17:28, said:

It may be because I am a simple soul but Nige1 seems to have the best approach. It is easy to do (not much guesswork) and still works against a reasonable amount of opps possible holdings. The play to trick 2 low to the J (vs low to the spade T) has the same 50% chance of making and then the vienna coupe type squeeze can work against both opps. The compound type squeeze set up by playing a spade to the T (and losing) is much more limited since it is possible for both opps to guard hearts and even to try it requires a guess as to when and how to perform it (maybe that's what scares me the most). Nige1 works when either opp has 4d and the spade K OR when lho is guarding both dia and hearts .there is nothing the opps can do and it requires no guesswork merely counting the suits.

Thank you gszes. I concede that chances are similar -- even better if East panics or you are sure that West has length. For example,
After winning the lead, If you lead a to the T and J, you can win the return and reduce to the 3-card ending on the left
When you lead the last , you discard dummy's unless it is good
Unless Q is good, you rely on dummy's hearts

#31 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-11, 03:15

If anyone wonders contract was totally hopeless from the start, LHO had KJ Q9x 1098x J9xx

#32 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-September-11, 20:39

View PostFluffy, on 2015-September-11, 03:15, said:

If anyone wonders contract was totally hopeless from the start, LHO had KJ Q9x 1098x J9xx

As card lie and on hipothesys that clubs run(=three in W) my solution, because 6 is controlled by E, is right. Infact on last club the hearts will be eliminated from the table(=is the same to have extra longness in spade) and now we can lead A and little and W must return in diamond to rescue Queen of spade.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users