• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#481 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 06:02

View Postcherdano, on 2015-September-14, 05:54, said:

Wait, in the old times "Watch out for pickpockets in Rio de Janeiro" had to be accompanied by solid proof?

You think there was no supporting evidence?

You must live in a different world than I do

Rainer Herrmann

#482 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 06:44

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-14, 02:45, said:

I feel the same. Bridge bidding is a game of coding messages (with the opponents knowing the code). If you would have to pick someone in the world come up with a good code for cheating, a bridge champion would be at the top of your list.

If I were a cheater I would be thoroughly embarrassed to be caught using a plain straight unencrypted code such as "1 cough is clubs", "board in the middle is diamonds" or "vertical means honor or singleton".

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-14, 03:37, said:

As hrothgar wrote after the Doctors incident, we haven't found the clever cheats yet. It seems obvious to me to encode cheat signals based on board number or vulnerability and I suspect there are some pairs doing something along those lines. If you also take the trouble to avoid obviously anti-percentage actions you are practically untraceable in the game at present.

Perhaps there are some doing this already. And the next generation of cheaters certainly will be. They do learn. Compare sports cheating: it is a never ending cycle of advancements by the cheaters that the authorities must catch up to.

Yes, greater isolation of partners is a solution, for now. What they will come up with after that, I can't imagine, but one thing I know is they won't stop trying.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#483 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-14, 06:58

View Postcherdano, on 2015-September-14, 04:57, said:

I think it's worth pointing out once more how ridiculous this statement is (leaving aside the fact that what I know about cross-examination - which is very little - is from lawyers posting about it, and from reading excerpts of a few trial transcripts. I have literally never seen cross-examination on TV or in a movie).

The following types of "forensic science" has held up on cross-examination for years or decades, even though in retrospect much of it is completely flawed and unrealiable:

• Gunshot residue analysis
  • Arson "science"
  • location tracking via cell-phone pings
  • microscopic hair analysis

And this only lists methods that were at some point used and accepted widely.

I think the one thing Mike's posts prove is that if you have to hire a lawyer, you never want to hire one who is in some way emotionally invested into the case.

Hey, if the science is wrong, as sometimes happens, then no cross can expose that, since the problem isn't soluble by cross examination. The lawyer relies upon the state of the art as accepted by the experts. What I was referring to was evidence based on a flawed presentation of the state of the art as understood in the relevant scientific community. Few, if any, lawyers are also scientific experts in any field of science. In addition, in criminal matters one if the biggest problems is economic. The state has lots of resources, but the vast majority of criminal defendants cannot afford to hire top experts to brief their lawyers, and most defendants cannot afford to pay their lawyers enough to allow them to put in the time. In addition, while there are some exceptional criminal defence lawyers, doing low- level criminal defence, usually on legal aid, doesn't, in NA, attract the best lawyers on average. Civil litigation pays far better, and one tends to deal with nicer people as clients :D

Your criticisms should be addressed mostly at the forensic science community. However, bear in mind that the vast bulk of funding for the matters you raise is from the state, and one of the major problems identified with this now discredited matters was confirmation bias. The scientists or technologists involved became convinced of the guilt of the accused and twisted either the science or the data to 'prove' their desired outcome. Often the 'defence' experts are retired state experts, btw.

What your posts show is that you are emotionally invested in criticizing me :P I really don't understand your entrenched antipathy towards me, but I have the data to prove its existence, lol.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#484 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-September-14, 07:44

View Postrhm, on 2015-September-14, 05:24, said:

You can design all sorts of clever illegal signals.
But in the end you must be able to apply and decipher them correctly at the table to get any "benefit" from them.
This practical aspect reduces the possibility for designing complex clever codes.

Take the alleged Fantunes code. Do you really think it would take a computer mind to change this to vertical shows an unknown honour (or singleton) vulnerable, horizontal shows it when non-vulnerable? Or horizontal on odd-numbered boards and vertical on even ones? These are trivial to implement and vastly complicate the decoding. And I am fairly confident they could easily decode much more than this. Sure you do not want to be bringing an enigma machine with you to the table; but simple solutions are available that would be extremely difficult to break. And without breaking a code it appears to be extremely difficult at present to reach the required level of proof.
(-: Zel :-)

#485 User is offline   LinusO 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-September-14, 08:13

I think that Fisher, Schwartz , Fantoni and Nunes all should lose their BBO Stars.

#486 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-September-14, 08:30

View PostLinusO, on 2015-September-14, 08:13, said:

I think that Fisher, Schwartz , Fantoni and Nunes all should lose their BBO Stars.

Finally someone has figured out why we should discuss this on the BBO forums. ;)

I have spent quite some time on BridgeWinners in the past 2 weeks and it is, frankly, awful compared to the BBO Forums (in terms of technology). So sad that lack of active moderation and someone actually invested in building a community here has led to BridgeWinners rather than BBF becoming the venue of choice for top-level bridge discussion.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#487 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 08:34

View Postmikeh, on 2015-September-14, 06:58, said:

Hey, if the science is wrong, as sometimes happens, then no cross can expose that, since the problem isn't soluble by cross examination. The lawyer relies upon the state of the art as accepted by the experts. What I was referring to was evidence based on a flawed presentation of the state of the art as understood in the relevant scientific community.

(...)

Your criticisms should be addressed mostly at the forensic science community.

But there was never a scientific community that had accepted these methods. The science wasn't wrong. The only place where these sorts of claims were made was in the courtroom. The "experts" testifying did make a flawed presentation of the state of the art.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#488 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 08:51

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-September-14, 08:30, said:

Finally someone has figured out why we should discuss this on the BBO forums. ;)

I have spent quite some time on BridgeWinners in the past 2 weeks and it is, frankly, awful compared to the BBO Forums (in terms of technology). So sad that lack of active moderation and someone actually invested in building a community here has led to BridgeWinners rather than BBF becoming the venue of choice for top-level bridge discussion.

LMAO!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#489 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 09:10

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-14, 07:44, said:

Take the alleged Fantunes code. Do you really think it would take a computer mind to change this to vertical shows an unknown honour (or singleton) vulnerable, horizontal shows it when non-vulnerable? Or horizontal on odd-numbered boards and vertical on even ones? These are trivial to implement and vastly complicate the decoding. And I am fairly confident they could easily decode much more than this. Sure you do not want to be bringing an enigma machine with you to the table; but simple solutions are available that would be extremely difficult to break. And without breaking a code it appears to be extremely difficult at present to reach the required level of proof.

It will be a bit tougher when you mix all the signals they had in place, wich I assume were several.

#490 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:07

View Postcherdano, on 2015-September-14, 08:34, said:

But there was never a scientific community that had accepted these methods. The science wasn't wrong. The only place where these sorts of claims were made was in the courtroom. The "experts" testifying did make a flawed presentation of the state of the art.

you are right, but also wrong, at least as best as I know. The problem with the areas you identified is that they are not, generally, topics that are in the area of pure science or, if they are, not the sort of subject that garners a lot of pure academic research. They are areas of interest to people who are, often, looking not merely to publish but also to be retained as expert consultants by insurance companies or lawyers, or (for many) state (I am speaking of 'government', not individual US states) agencies involved in the prosecution of crimes. Thus there is some element of bias built into the system and the work product will, at least in the early stages, rarely be reviewed by 'experts' who don't share the same agenda. Then you have the funding problem I mentioned, which prevents the defence lawyers from learning the real science or hiring the objective scientists, to the extent that they exist, so the cross is uninformed and therefore rarely effective, especially if the defence can't afford to hire its own experts to testify.

That's a systemic problem and not directly relevant to the arguments I made, which were premised on a level playing field. As an example, I have litigated two relatively esoteric areas of science. One is the use of something known as quantitative electroencephalography to identify traumatic brain injury. qEEG, as it is known, is a recognized, legitimate diagnostic assist when trying to differentiate between certain neurological conditions. A researcher in the US came up with a software package that he claimed, and I believe still claims, allows this to be used in litigation to identify brain damage. It has been successfully used in the US by death penalty defence lawyers (where funding is usually more generous than in most cases) to argue for a lesser sentence on the grounds that the defendant, tho sane, was handicapped by being brain damaged.

The developer marketed his product to neuropsychologists, who don't have the technical expertise to do the job properly, and so we started getting these long very impressive-looking papers, replete with all kinds of journal citations. I was given the funding to hire and speak and/or meet with two of the world's leading experts on electroencephalography, and read approximately 60 peer-reviewed articles on qEEG, and then had a 5 day hearing before a judge, 3 of which were me cross-examining their experts. The court rejected the plaintiff's efforts as 'junk science'. I can provide a link to the decision if you doubt me. On another case we had to deal with the link, if any, between trauma and the progression of MS. In the 50's and 60's, and even to some degree the 70's, MS experts believed there to be a link. More recently, the overwhelming consensus is that there isn't but a few lawyers tried to persuade the courts here that there was. On the defence side, we were in essence given unlimited funding and access to the world's leading experts. I wasn't counsel in the case that decided the issue in the jurisdiction where I work, but I was working on a parallel case that went to trial a little later, and the plaintiff dropped that aspect of the claim at trial. Again, I can send you links if you want.

Those are the kinds of cases, and cross examinations, of which I spoke. And, believe me, when the resources are available, and there really is a scientific consensus against the opinion of a hired gun expert, it is usually demonstrated. When the resources aren't there, or the science hasn't yet got it right, then of course cross examination won't be effective.

All I was saying was that if I were to cross Kit on his initial video-analysis posts I would have a field day with him. He has since backed down, or clarified, so even if there were opportunity, there'd be no point, other than perhaps to persuade the more open-minded bandwagon passengers to think more carefully about uncritical endorsement of desired outcomes. Which was all I was ever protesting. I have trouble believing that you, Arend, are a big fan of uncritical endorsements of desired outcomes. So I don't know why you are so dedicated to attacking almost every post I make. Of course, in fairness, that attitude extends to just about every post I make on any topic :P

It seems your problems aren't with what I say but with the fact that it is me saying it. Weird, but I guess it gives you something to do.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#491 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 11:22

View Posteagles123, on 2015-August-27, 16:07, said:

on Bridgewinners lately been a whole load of boring nonsense about alleged cheating but the recent developments are kinda intriguing. Anyone ITK have any insight :P

Eagles

Here is the culprit who started all of this in BBF! Posted Image (Idk if I need to state this was a joke, Rowland, but I am doing it anyway so that you won't hate me Posted Image)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#492 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 14:27

These are just the super obvious well known cheaters. It would be naive to think there aren't others out there who are not being super obvious and are cheating a little that have not even been detected.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#493 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 14:36

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-September-14, 14:27, said:

These are just the super obvious well known cheaters. It would be naive to think there aren't others out there who are not being super obvious and are cheating a little that have not even been detected.

And I can't think of anything more important to our future than this kick in the A$$ to the NBO's to live up to their responsibility to police the game.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#494 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-September-14, 14:52

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-September-14, 14:27, said:

It may be naïve, but in my opinion we need to live life as if it isn't happening, at least until we have reason to be concerned. You are way too young to remember The Buffalo Springfield (Neil Young's first successful group. Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid'

Lyrics to their best song.

Not a good way to live.

#495 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-14, 17:26

so whose this "third pair" then :P
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#496 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-14, 23:07

Monaco's answer:

http://neapolitanclu...federation.html

#497 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-September-15, 00:26

I unapproved a few posts in this thread leaking info about who the 3rd pair might be. Until the names are published on BW or somewhere official, mentioning just a country hurts all top pairs in that specific country.

#498 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-15, 01:36

View Posteagles123, on 2015-September-14, 17:26, said:

so whose this "third pair" then :P

Try reading the facebook group "facebridge". Which is in Norwegian.

#499 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-16, 04:01

View Postcherdano, on 2015-September-14, 04:57, said:

I think it's worth pointing out once more how ridiculous this statement is (leaving aside the fact that what I know about cross-examination - which is very little - is from lawyers posting about it, and from reading excerpts of a few trial transcripts. I have literally never seen cross-examination on TV or in a movie).

The following types of "forensic science" has held up on cross-examination for years or decades, even though in retrospect much of it is completely flawed and unrealiable:

• Gunshot residue analysis
  • Arson "science"
  • location tracking via cell-phone pings
  • microscopic hair analysis

You forgot the elephant in the room: the cot deaths. For years in the UK having two cot deaths in a family was basically treated as evidence that the parents were murdering their children, on the grounds that it was so unlikely. It was years before anyone pointed out that:
1) By the birthday problem, its actually pretty likely in that the UK has a bunch of families with two cot deaths in them.
2) And, more importantly, they aren't independent events, and there is a chance some environmental or genetic factor means that having one cot death makes you more likely to have two.

It ended up with some expert witnesses being struck off the medical register. Even absent the wrongful convictions, a lot of parents who had just lost two children to cot death had to face suspicion from authorities, and in some cases the indignantly of a murder investigation.

I expect that trial lawyers these days are a bit more up to date with statistics than they were in the 70s-90s when most of the really bad stuff seems to have happened.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#500 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-September-16, 04:51

This is the well-known prosecutor's fallacy and it still occurs in court rooms all over the world. That is sometimes deliberate but often a mistake, such as in a judge's summing up.
(-: Zel :-)

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users