• You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating Allegations

#221 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 14:56

View Postbillw55, on 2015-August-31, 06:54, said:

I wonder what Boye's state of mind was going in to these events with FS on the team.

Isn't that obvious? He didn't believe the rumours, so he had no reason not to play with them. In fact, if he thought they were being unfairly treated, that would be a reason to play with them, to show solidarity.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#222 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-31, 14:57

View Postcherdano, on 2015-August-31, 14:33, said:

So the play in the animated GIF I posted is from the first match by RS that I looked at: partner leads the lowest spot against 1NT, a balanced dummy comes down with JTx, and RS covers dummy's honor with Qxxx. Could you imagine a player of your level making this mistake in an important match?

I would hope not, but I am sure that I have done equally foolish things in the past. Btw, while I fully understand why low is the percentage play on most hands, I can think of layouts, especially at imps, where the Q is correct, tho I can't think of a plausible example at the one level :D .

Anyway, everybody makes plays that in hindsight are below their normal standard of play. One of the problems with a retrospective analysis of hands is that we tend to seize upon errors and magnify them to fit our preconceptions.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#223 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:00

And why do people keep talking about trials? This isn't a criminal case. This is a decision of a private organization, whether or not to sanction two of its members, or allow them to participate in its events. Said organizations can use whatever internal administrative process they have for that, and I very much doubt that ever involves a trial.

Or are people thinking that FS will sue BB for libel and/or slander? At this point it doesn't look like that would work out very well for them.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#224 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:01

View Postgnasher, on 2015-August-31, 14:56, said:

Isn't that obvious? He didn't believe the rumours, so he had no reason not to play with them. In fact, if he thought they were being unfairly treated, that would be a reason to play with them, to show solidarity.

While that is certainly plausible, I hesitate to use "obvious" in such situations. People do a lot of things for a lot of reasons.
-gwnn

#225 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:08

View Postmikeh, on 2015-August-31, 14:57, said:

Anyway, everybody makes plays that in hindsight are below their normal standard of play. One of the problems with a retrospective analysis of hands is that we tend to seize upon errors and magnify them to fit our preconceptions.

True enough. The difference is, when many experts are observing many hands where these "errors" are made, that consistently work out well. If all they are is errors, then we should be able find a similar (objectively, greater) number of examples where a bad result was obtained. If these can be found, let's consider them.
-gwnn

#226 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:24

View Postbillw55, on 2015-August-31, 15:00, said:

And why do people keep talking about trials? This isn't a criminal case. This is a decision of a private organization, whether or not to sanction two of its members, or allow them to participate in its events. Said organizations can use whatever internal administrative process they have for that, and I very much doubt that ever involves a trial.

Or are people thinking that FS will sue BB for libel and/or slander? At this point it doesn't look like that would work out very well for them.

I was a member of our ACBL District Judicial committee for years, tho fortunately never had to sit on a case. I was counsel on such a case 25 years ago, and even at the District level the accused was entitled to counsel. I cannot imagine a US based organization, with the ability to impact earnings powers, not affording what the Americans like to refer to as 'due process' and what we in the Commonwealth (referring I think to related but slightly different concepts) call the principles of natural justice.

If these guys are up on charges, especially if not arising from measures taken by a TD at a tournament, my understanding, based on perhaps out of date experience, is that they will be entitled to a formal hearing. Of course, if they are confronted with overwhelming evidence, they may instead try to negotiate a deal or just skulk away. We can hope.

edit: re the libel issue. Different countries have different rules, some very different. Here in Canada, on the evidence so far presented I'd rather be acting for FS than for Brogeland, BW, or any of the others who have gone public. Not that there would be any jurisdiction here. And no, this isn't an offer to act for them :P I hope, and frankly expect, that the more evidence that comes to light, or that would be found in the context of a lawsuit, the more that would change (in terms of who would be likely to win). Here, the damages could be massive...not just compensation for the loss of what I imagine is a very lucrative career, but also even punitive damages for 'malice'. You have to remember that what is acceptable in the public mind as 'proof' isn't at all the same as what is acceptable in a courtroom.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#227 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:36

View Postmikeh, on 2015-August-31, 15:24, said:

I was a member of our ACBL District Judicial committee for years, tho fortunately never had to sit on a case.

The last part of this sentence is exactly why BB felt it necessary to go public. BTW, he's now living in a secret location due to death threats.

fisher and Schwartz have announce their intention to file suit and may well be able to cherry pick their jurisdiction.

Oh and all the action crashed Bridgewinners forcing a furiously fast upgrade to their system.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#228 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:48

lol if you think it's just the traffic bringing them down. they are being attacked for sure.

This really is like a Hollywood movie
The artist formerly known as jlall

#229 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 15:54

I am telling all of my non bridge friends about the details as it unfolds. They want some justice!
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#230 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 16:06

Mike, I won't argue with your legal reasoning. It may be possible that the way Brogeland set about doing this won't help him if he gets sued for libel.

But I think the goal he had in mind was to get the relevant authorities (ACBL/IBF/EBL/WBF/...) to act. His strategy was to pass the full information on to them; and once they didn't seem to react by themselves, he added public pressure by adding tidbits of information publicly.

And his goal isn't only to get rid of F-S - I am sure thinking about this case made him realize how laughably little deterrent the current system is against potential cheats, and that he wants fundamental change.

I mean, if nothing fundamental changed, and I was someone cheating at bridge - I would probably tell myself "LOL as long as I don't do it as blatant as these guys - using all possible tools towards cheating and winning every tournament in sight - I will NEVER be caught". And that IS a problem, since most top players seem to believe that there are other top pairs that cheat, only less egregiously.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#231 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-August-31, 16:11

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-August-31, 15:48, said:

lol if you think it's just the traffic bringing them down. they are being attacked for sure.

I'd find that quite plausible - if there are 10 times as many readers reading 10 times as many comments, the load is 100 times of what it was before. Plus having more of anything seems to bring out bugs in everybody's code.
On the other hand, that last phrase may not be apply to code written by Greg H. Plus it was down Monday morning European time (i.e. middle of the night US time) - that did seem a bit odd.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#232 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 16:23

exactly, maybe I overrate greg humphreys but he seems like a baller lol. it is hard for me to believe natural traffic took them down for so long.

I mean the guy has an academy award and was baller at GOOGLE

#233 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-August-31, 16:29

View Postcherdano, on 2015-August-31, 16:11, said:

I'd find that quite plausible - if there are 10 times as many readers reading 10 times as many comments, the load is 100 times of what it was before. Plus having more of anything seems to bring out bugs in everybody's code.
On the other hand, that last phrase may not be apply to code written by Greg H. Plus it was down Monday morning European time (i.e. middle of the night US time) - that did seem a bit odd.

Right, I was fully willing to believe it was down because of natural reasons on Sunday evening, but with the problems still ongoing on Monday at noon when I would expect all the Americans to be in bed I started to think there may be more to it than that.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#234 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 17:22

Why haven't the ACBL released their videos by the way? They might have discussed that in their statement but chose not to.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#235 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-August-31, 17:25

View Postcherdano, on 2015-August-31, 14:33, said:

So the play in the animated GIF I posted is from the first match by RS that I looked at: partner leads the lowest spot against 1NT, a balanced dummy comes down with JTx, and RS covers dummy's honor with Qxxx. Could you imagine a player of your level making this mistake in an important match?
It's suspicious when a player is hugely successful, in spite of frequent peculiar losing blunders. But it also makes his peculiar anti-percentage winning actions less suspicious.

#236 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2015-August-31, 18:06

Meanwhile, while all this is going on, The Bridge World wrote s.th. like 15 editorials on....SPORTSMANLIKE DUMPING AS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THREATENING COMPETITIVE BRIDGE!

#237 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-August-31, 18:45

View Postcherdano, on 2015-August-31, 18:06, said:

Meanwhile, while all this is going on, The Bridge World wrote s.th. like 15 editorials on....SPORTSMANLIKE DUMPING AS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM THREATENING COMPETITIVE BRIDGE!

Actually this month's was about Fantunes making the weird defensive play versus the slam to get an extra under that went to the 'sports judge'.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#238 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-August-31, 19:52

View Postcherdano, on 2015-August-31, 18:06, said:

Back in Kaplan's day the Bridge World was in favour of s.d. If the CofC allowed it. Input was the latter that they thought was the problem. Is that not the case anymore?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#239 User is offline   captyogi 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-August-31, 20:36

View Postbillw55, on 2015-August-31, 15:00, said:

= = = =
Or are people thinking that FS will sue BB for libel and/or slander?
= = = =
unquote

Well Well Well, that will be highly welcome by BB.
That officially opens the Pandora's Box.
If you stay in Glass House, You don't throw stone on somebody staying in Stone House.

#240 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-August-31, 21:35

View PostVampyr, on 2015-August-31, 19:52, said:

Back in Kaplan's day the Bridge World was in favour of s.d. If the CofC allowed it. Input was the latter that they thought was the problem. Is that not the case anymore?

yeah I don't think you got it

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook