BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11741 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-December-21, 13:50

Quote of the day:

“Wheels are coming off” seems to be the operative phrase on MSNBC. My thought: There were wheels? -- Karen Tumulty at WaPo.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#11742 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-22, 04:24

A Dennison Call That Went Rogue Hands Erdogan a Surprise Win on Syria

Donald Trump was supposed to tell his Turkish counterpart to stop testing his patience with military threats in Syria. That is, if the American president stuck to the script.

Instead, during a lengthy phone call earlier this month, Trump shocked even those in his inner circle by yielding to a suggestion from Recep Tayyip Erdogan to reverse the Pentagon’s Syrian strategy, handing the Turkish president his biggest diplomatic victory ever.

Then the American president dropped a bombshell, asking National Security Adviser John Bolton -- whom he addressed as “Johnny” -- about the feasibility of an immediate pullout, according to two of the people. He got a reassuring “yes” in response and the ball started rolling, the people said.

Not just a total victory for Erdogan, but Putin as well. And in return, the US gets absolutely nothing. I hope Dennison at least gets an Ankara Dennison Tower and both a Moscow Dennison Tower and a St Petersburg Dennison Tower for selling out the US. Thank God Dennison is so skilled at making deals. Can you imagine what would have happened if Dennison was a bad negotiator?

#11743 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-22, 07:43

The situation in a nutshell:

Trump ignores the advice of Jim Mattis but when Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh tell him what to do he hops up and does it.

I plan on taking a long nap, wake me when this is over.

GHWB liked to go skydiving to defy his age, I had the more restrained plan of going ice skating at the rink by the National Art Gallery but I guess that will be closed now. We have larger problems.

Ken

#11744 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-22, 17:01

Solution to the Mexican Border Wall

This solution is so brilliant and good for the country that I am offering it to the stable genius for the same amount he got for taking responsibility for shutting down the government, and unilaterally withdrawing from Syria, absolutely nothing.

Step #1) The US sets up a checking account to only pay bills to build the wall
Step #2 Dennison deposits $5 billion into the account, no problem because he is worth many times that amount.
Step #3) The US pays for the wall construction from this checking account
Step #4) Mexico voluntarily pays Dennison directly to reimburse him for building the wall plus a little more for "expenses"

The US gets a new border wall, Dennison is happy and makes some profit, the American people don't have to pay anything, Mexico is happy to follow orders from Dennison. Seems like a win-win-win-win solution to me.

If for some unknown reason, Mexico refuses to reimburse Dennison, Dennison can get his money by threatening to negotiate with them. They should be very afraid.

#11745 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-December-22, 18:16

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-22, 17:01, said:

Solution to the Mexican Border Wall

This solution is so brilliant and good for the country that I am offering it to the stable genius for the same amount he got for taking responsibility for shutting down the government, and unilaterally withdrawing from Syria, absolutely nothing.

Step #1) The US sets up a checking account to only pay bills to build the wall
Step #2 Dennison deposits $5 billion into the account, no problem because he is worth many times that amount.
Step #3) The US pays for the wall construction from this checking account
Step #4) Mexico voluntarily pays Dennison directly to reimburse him for building the wall plus a little more for "expenses"

The US gets a new border wall, Dennison is happy and makes some profit, the American people don't have to pay anything, Mexico is happy to follow orders from Dennison. Seems like a win-win-win-win solution to me.

If for some unknown reason, Mexico refuses to reimburse Dennison, Dennison can get his money by threatening to negotiate with them. They should be very afraid.

If they don't pay, he can sick his "fixer" on them. B-)
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11746 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-December-22, 21:15

View Posty66, on 2018-December-21, 13:50, said:

Quote of the day:

Did she get it from Jimmy Kimmel, or vice versa?

Of course, sometimes a joke is so obvious. In fact, when Jimmy showed the MSNBC clip, I thought the same thing.

#11747 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-22, 23:13

Representative-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez called for Congressional salaries to be furloughed during government shutdowns after the Senate and House failed to pass a spending bill on Friday.

While I respect her attempt to effect change, her inexperience is showing in a bad way. She is advocating for the very situation that would disadvantage her, a newbie without tremendous independent wealth, without any real upside for herself except the perception of cooperation.

What she meant to suggest is that they shouldn't be allowed to recess (president included) until a resolution is achieved. It works with elementary students.

Or charge a fine proportional to their wealth every day they fail to do their job. They work for us, the people. They should be held accountable.
OK
bed

#11748 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-23, 00:02

McConnell's claims that the Democrats refusal to add additional money for a border wall to the continuing resolution to fund the government equates to the Democrats being weak on border security is such a disingenuous and fallacious argument I don't know how he can say it out loud without vomiting down his shirt.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11749 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-December-23, 14:37

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-December-23, 00:02, said:

McConnell's claims that the Democrats refusal to add additional money for a border wall to the continuing resolution to fund the government equates to the Democrats being weak on border security is such a disingenuous and fallacious argument I don't know how he can say it out loud without vomiting down his shirt.

That only happens to people with souls. Very few people can be in the Senate this long and maintain their soul (assuming they had one when they entered). The few I can think of included John McCain and Ted Kennedy (and even his was kind of threadbare, after Chappaquidick).

Statements like his are just par for the course in American politics. It's like hearing someone propose background checks for gun purchases, and characterizing it as wanting to repeal the 2nd Amendment. Or single-payer healthcare = communism.

And ever since Trump first mentioned the wall during his campaign, the GOP has been equating anything less as being for open borders and inviting MS13 in.

#11750 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-23, 16:32

Dennison keeps on hiring the "best" people.

Mulvaney: Dennison's Syria Withdrawal Hated By Officials, But ‘Ordinary’ People Love It!

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney on Sunday admitted President Donald Trump’s sudden decision to withdraw American troops from Syria is extremely unpopular with lawmakers and Defense Department officials. But that’s OK, because “ordinary” people love it, he said without evidence.

Ok, forget the career military people and others who have extensive foreign service experience. Let's base our international policies based on "ordinary" people's opinions. :rolleyes:

Wallace interrupted, “With all due respect to democracy ... do they really know what the stakes are of pulling U.S. troops out and leaving the Syrian defense force to the Turkish slaughter, and what the impact is going to be on Iran? I mean, really, we’re going to make this a plebiscite?”

Mulvaney dismissed the suggestion that the average American knows enough to advise Trump on foreign policy, despite suggesting just that moments earlier.

“Ordinary Americans have no idea about those things,” Mulvaney said. “They elect a president so that he does.”

Apparently Mulvaney is going to be very good as Chief of Staff. He is already an accomplished liar.

Mulvaney’s claim that Americans support the withdrawal appears at odds with several public opinion polls, which give little indication the public wants U.S. military action against the self-described Islamic State in Syria to wind down, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

A July poll by the Chicago Council on Global Affairs found that 57 percent of Americans overall (including 69 percent of Republicans) favored using American troops “to fight against violent Islamic extremist groups in Iraq and Syria.”

Hmmm, who are these ordinary people? I guess Fox Propaganda personalities have been demoted to "ordinary" people.

The White House has become the full time Clown House.

#11751 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 04:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-December-23, 00:02, said:

No problem for Lyin Mitch. Every piece of his clothing must be reeking from vomit, so a little more won't even be noticed.

#11752 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-December-24, 09:32

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-23, 16:32, said:

Hmmm, who are these ordinary people? I guess Fox Propaganda personalities have been demoted to "ordinary" people.

They're probably just talking about his base, who love everything he does without really thinking about it.

Like 70% of Americans think the wall isn't worth shutting the government down over, but his base loves him for not caving in to the Democrats who obviously want open borders.

#11753 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-24, 12:32

For those who believe the president is responsible for the stock markets, here must be another accomplishment of Individual-1: worst ever Christmas eve trading day:

S&P 500
-65.52(-2.71%)

Dow 30
-653.17(-2.91%)

Nasdaq
-140.08(-2.21%)

Russell 2000
-25.16(-1.95%)

#11754 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 16:36

In the same vein, since the election and the re-taking of the house by the dems, well ... correlation is not necessarily causation. ;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#11755 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-December-24, 18:20

Anyone notice how the real wingnut conservatives flare up prior to midterm elections and then disappears right afterwards...

Four years ago, Lukewarm was an unstoppable posting machine.
Election ends and he disappears.

This year, its Drews...

Almost enough to make one think someone was paying them to troll and then the checks stopped getting cut
Alderaan delenda est

#11756 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 20:52

Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
Making it rich, and like a lily in bloom,
An angel writing in a book of gold:—
Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
And to the presence in the room he said,
"What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
And with a look made of all sweet accord,
Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."
"And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
But cheerly still; and said, "I pray thee, then,
Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote, and vanished. The next night
It came again with a great wakening light,
And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

Merry Christmas everyone.

#11757 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 22:34

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2018-December-24, 16:36, said:

In the same vein, since the election and the re-taking of the house by the dems, well ... correlation is not necessarily causation. ;)

Apparently you've been watching too much Fox Propaganda Channel to be able to think for yourself. The issue is that your master and President, David Dennison, has claimed credit for the rising stock market, lower unemployment rates, any kind of good economic indicators, getting Mexico to pay for the wall, getting North Korea to get rid of its nuclear arsenal.... I am going out on a limb when I ask, Do you get the picture?

So explain to me, (and apparently you will also have to explain whatever answer you come up with, to Dennison),

How it is possible that when all it takes for the stock market to continue the upward trajectory is for Dennison to be president that the stock market has collapsed and cratered? He claimed credit for the market going up. Why has it gone to hell? Is this part of Dennison's plan to make the market collapse? How do we get the market to go back up? Does Dennison demand the sacrifice of a virgin in a volcano to appease him?

#11758 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-24, 22:55

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-December-22, 23:13, said:

While I respect her attempt to effect change, her inexperience is showing in a bad way. She is advocating for the very situation that would disadvantage her, a newbie without tremendous independent wealth, without any real upside for herself except the perception of cooperation.

What she meant to suggest is that they shouldn't be allowed to recess (president included) until a resolution is achieved. It works with elementary students.

Of course, she hasn't been sworn into office yet so can't even step into the Capitol Building except as a guest. I haven't heard anybody else in Congress with any suggestions except to adjourn until later.

And what's the point? Dennison had a congressional deal which was already voted on and approved, and he said he was going to sign it. He reneged under unbelievable pressure from 2 or 3 media personalities who said a couple of mean things about him. If Dennison had a spine he would have got Kavanaugh and the Supreme Court to revoke their contracts. B-)

#11759 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-25, 11:49

What odds are you willing to give me on war with Mexico to force them to pay for the wall?

#11760 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-December-26, 09:50

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-December-24, 12:32, said:

For those who believe the president is responsible for the stock markets, here must be another accomplishment of Individual-1: worst ever Christmas eve trading day:

Not his fault, those stupid Dems went and shut down the government just because they didn't want to fund his boarder wall. And he's even made concessions, they can call it a fence or whatever they want.

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

41 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook