BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#8781 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-January-03, 15:54

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-January-03, 13:35, said:

please get out of this thread. go here.

Who says civility is dead?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#8782 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:25

barmar, could i offer a compromise so that you don't have to make any controversial moderating decisions but at the same time preserve "free speech" AND make the majority happy? confine ldrews' posts to a dedicated ldrews politics posts thread.

that way he can spew his nonsense and troll as much as he wants, but he cant derail threads for the rest of us. he clearly doesn't understand forum etiquette.

anyone who wishes to engage him in discussion is free to do so. he can post whatever he wants with impunity. it's win-win for everyone.

would you at least consider it?
OK
bed

#8783 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:36

View Posty66, on 2018-January-03, 15:54, said:

Who says civility is dead?

Posted Image

We should be more concerned about our growing attention deficit disorder than our national deficit.

It's sucking out all of the oxygen and civility in argumentation and political discussions.

How can we fellowship and relate to one another as brothers when a lot of the nation has the attention span of a gnat?

President Trump marketed heavily to a low attention span base and won the Executive Office for understanding his customers.

#8784 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:37

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-January-03, 18:25, said:

barmar, could i offer a compromise so that you don't have to make any controversial moderating decisions but at the same time preserve "free speech" AND make the majority happy? confine ldrews' posts to a dedicated ldrews politics posts thread.

that way he can spew his nonsense and troll as much as he wants, but he cant derail threads for the rest of us. he clearly doesn't understand forum etiquette.

anyone who wishes to engage him in discussion is free to do so. he can post whatever he wants with impunity. it's win-win for everyone.

I think that he should also be allowed to post on bridge related topics
Alderaan delenda est

#8785 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2018-January-03, 18:56

Why don't you just put him on ignore? I don't know if ldrews is a troll but those of you who think he is really should stop feeding him.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8786 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 19:30

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-January-03, 18:37, said:

I think that he should also be allowed to post on bridge related topics

i strictly meant water cooler (or more preferably politics-specific WC). of course he should be free in the bridge topics
OK
bed

#8787 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 19:31

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-January-03, 18:56, said:

Why don't you just put him on ignore? I don't know if ldrews is a troll but those of you who think he is really should stop feeding him.

because ignore doesn't really ignore posts. they still show up. it's a terrible feature.
OK
bed

#8788 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2018-January-03, 19:41

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-January-03, 19:31, said:

because ignore doesn't really ignore posts. they still show up. it's a terrible feature.

Yes I get this thread on top of "view new posts" and then I don't know if anyone other than those I ignore have provided new content. And sometimes I see text from ignored users through quotes from other people. It's annoying.

But you don't have to respond to them, do you?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8789 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 19:47

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-January-03, 19:41, said:

Yes I get this thread on top of "view new posts" and then I don't know if anyone other than those I ignore have provided new content. And sometimes I see text from ignored users through quotes from other people. It's annoying.

But you don't have to respond to them, do you?

No one has to post here at all, if that's what you're trying to ask. We're a very small community, and I suspect we all sort of know each other pretty well. I don't think it's fair to suggest that everyone ignore some posts, given how little traffic there is.

Yes, you're probably right. But it doesn't really work that way in practice.
OK
bed

#8790 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2018-January-03, 20:43

Well if ldrews had been one of my inlaws or w/e then I would feel a pressure to form an opinion about whatever he says. As it is he's just one of 7 billion people whose opinion I don't care about. He might be as clever as Arend or as funny as Csaba or jjbr or as opinionated as hrothgar or as annoying as Al. I don't know. I don't recall ever having read anything he wrote. I might have but obviously it didn't leave a lasting impression.

#8791 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 20:55

Apparently some have forgotten the rules regarding this forum:

This is meant to be a place to engage in dialogue, share your views and perspectives on global events, anything that can't fit into the other forums. However, we'll still follow some basic rules:

1) No personal attacks. Insults are a No-No. You can have issues with someone else's opinion and attack that (in a civilised manner hopefully), but don't go after anyone personally.

2) No advertising, no spam.

3) No obscenities.

Posters who engage in hateful, vulgar, threatening, knowingly illegal and inaccurate posts may be suspended not just from forums, but also our related websites.

In general, please follow this rule of thumb (which is a good rule I've picked up from another forum): If you aren't comfortable emailing a post to your grandmother/mother/colleague, then it probably shouldn't be posted here.

By posting in this forum, you have also agreed to the terms stated here.

Ok?

Whew!

Lets keep the posts flowing. On Behalf of BBO and BBF, Thanks!
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

If I have violated any of these rules please let me know and I will correct my behavior. I believe that my posts are civil, do not use profanity, do not contain personal attacks, and are on-topic.

Otherwise, jjbrr, you are just attempting to shut down someone you don't agree with or for various reasons don't like their postings. I am not surprised, it is a tactic often used by the liberal/left to silence opposition.

#8792 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-January-03, 21:14

View Posthelene_t, on 2018-January-03, 20:43, said:

Well if ldrews had been one of my inlaws or w/e then I would feel a pressure to form an opinion about whatever he says. As it is he's just one of 7 billion people whose opinion I don't care about. He might be as clever as Arend or as funny as Csaba or jjbr or as opinionated as hrothgar or as annoying as Al. I don't know. I don't recall ever having read anything he wrote. I might have but obviously it didn't leave a lasting impression.

This is pretty much my stance on most libertarians. An ideology based on unrealistic assumptions has no value in discussions of real-world problems and solutions.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8793 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-03, 21:29

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-January-03, 21:14, said:

This is pretty much my stance on most libertarians. An ideology based on unrealistic assumptions has no value in discussions of real-world problems and solutions.

Same could be said of almost any religious/moral code of behavior. The Golden Rule, for example.

You must be enjoying Trump's approach to government: business-like solutions without regard to existing sensibilities or unrealistic assumptions.

#8794 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-04, 04:25

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-03, 21:29, said:

You must be enjoying Trump's approach to government: business-like solutions without regard to existing sensibilities or unrealistic assumptions.

I (personally) find the concept of a government applying "business like" solutions completely horrific

Businesses (typically) have a fiduciary responsibility to engage in profit maximization.
You really don't want an entity with the power of a government trying to maximize its profits.

Businesses are able to discharge their debts through bankruptcy.
Really bad things happen when governments do so. If the US were to do so, the results would be catastrophic.

Businesses and governments (should) have very different time horizons.

(I can go on like this for quite some time. The two types of organizations are very very different)

FWIW, I do agree that Trump is ignoring existing sensibilities.
In doing so, he is doing enormous and lasting damage to the long term reputation of the United States.

Other than "Brown people are inferior" and "Jews are good with money" its pretty damn hard to figure out what kind of "assumptions" Trump bases his policies on.
Mostly he is just twisting in the wind, boasting about stuff that he had little or nothing to do with, and acting like a disgrace on Twitter.
Alderaan delenda est

#8795 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-January-04, 09:45

Regardless of whether I think this is a good idea, I don't think I have any tools in the forum to do this automatically. I can restrict which forums someone can post in, but there are no thread-level restrictions.

#8796 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-04, 09:58

View Postbarmar, on 2018-January-04, 09:45, said:

Regardless of whether I think this is a good idea, I don't think I have any tools in the forum to do this automatically. I can restrict which forums someone can post in, but there are no thread-level restrictions.

Transparent attempt at distraction

Just create a forum for Drews and block him from the Watercooler...
I recommend moving Al-U-Card over there as well so he has some company
Alderaan delenda est

#8797 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-04, 10:51

View Postbarmar, on 2018-January-04, 09:45, said:

Barmar, the forum is self-policing. Create a thread for ldrews to post in. Everyone else will flag posts if he posts outside of his thread. What automatic tools do you need?

Why is this so difficult to understand?
OK
bed

#8798 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-04, 11:28

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-January-04, 10:51, said:

Barmar, the forum is self-policing. Create a thread for ldrews to post in. Everyone else will flag posts if he posts outside of his thread. What automatic tools do you need?

Why is this so difficult to understand?

So much for free speech! The police state arrives on the suppression of posters you don't like or agree with.

barmar, if you do indeed succumb to this pressure, please be sure to include a statement in the rules that govern the situation. Future posters should be forewarned.

#8799 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-January-04, 12:08

View Postldrews, on 2018-January-04, 11:28, said:

So much for free speech! The police state arrives on the suppression of posters you don't like or agree with.

Drews, Drews, Drews...

The first amendment applies to the government, not private institutions.

And, oh, BTW, if you actually cared about free speech in real life, why did you run off to Mexico which is hardly a bastion of free speech?

Oh, that's right, because while you like to portray yourself as a Libertarian, the only thing that you actually seem to care much about are your taxes.
Alderaan delenda est

#8800 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-04, 13:28

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-January-04, 12:08, said:

Drews, Drews, Drews...

The first amendment applies to the government, not private institutions.

And, oh, BTW, if you actually cared about free speech in real life, why did you run off to Mexico which is hardly a bastion of free speech?

Oh, that's right, because while you like to portray yourself as a Libertarian, the only thing that you actually seem to care much about are your taxes.

Nice try. Keep throwing *****. Maybe someday something will stick, who knows? Meanwhile the Trumptards keep winning! Too bad.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

104 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 104 guests, 0 anonymous users