BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#8221 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-30, 11:21, said:

As much as I admire your levelheadedness, I think your conclusion (that it is not good) is part of our problem.

My concluding sentence, "This is not good", was meant as an understatement. My lead-in statement, "I no longer understand the world that I live in" was not meant lightly. It is often said that old white guys find the changes in the world perplexing. This is correct.
Ken

#8222 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-November-30, 15:59

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-30, 14:11, said:

It is truly disheartening that someone smart enough to learn bridge can be so distracted and easily swayed by right wing propaganda. I would think you would have enough self pride to think for yourself and examine facts.

Regardless, your boy is going down. Tick, tock, tick, tock....

Bottom line: We are all broken people on both sides of the aisle. There's no amount of flowery language or metaphors to unwind that truth.

That's why we need more compassion and understanding and less grandstanding since we all have some form of a Scarlett Letter "A" emblazoned on our chest.

#8223 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 17:13

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-November-30, 14:11, said:

It is truly disheartening that someone smart enough to learn bridge can be so distracted and easily swayed by right wing propaganda. I would think you would have enough self pride to think for yourself and examine facts.

Regardless, your boy is going down. Tick, tock, tick, tock....

I often think the identical thing about the liberal left/Democrats. We must live in totally different universes.

The Democrats will vote for the Democratic candidate, the Republicans will vote for the Republican Candidate. That accounts for about 50% (25% Democrat, 25% Republican) of the voters. The independents will decide who is elected. How do the independents view the current political landscape?

#8224 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-November-30, 17:51

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-November-30, 15:59, said:

Bottom line: We are all broken people on both sides of the aisle. There's no amount of flowery language or metaphors to unwind that truth.

That's why we need more compassion and understanding and less grandstanding since we all have some form of a Scarlett Letter "A" emblazoned on our chest.

This is the view in the US, the view from the outside is that one side is MUCH more broken than the other.

Your president retweets stuff from somebody currently out on bail on what are essentially racially based incitement charges which is completely fake and not what it's purported to be at all, then defends himself when this is pointed out and still calls everything ELSE fake news ... Effectively he's treating somebody arguably further right than the KKK as a reliable news source.

#8225 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 19:55

View Postldrews, on 2017-November-30, 17:13, said:

I often think the identical thing about the liberal left/Democrats. We must live in totally different universes.

The Democrats will vote for the Democratic candidate, the Republicans will vote for the Republican Candidate. That accounts for about 50% (25% Democrat, 25% Republican) of the voters. The independents will decide who is elected. How do the independents view the current political landscape?

Are your questions at the end of all your posts intended to be rhetorical? Do you handle difficult problems by asking other people questions that you yourself don't know the answer to? It's a weird way to post on a message board.
OK
bed

#8226 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-November-30, 20:45

Here we go again? I’m a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929.

“There are two ideas of government,” William Jennings Bryan declared in his 1896 “Cross of Gold” speech. “There are those who believe that if you will only legislate to make the well-to-do prosperous their prosperity will leak through on those below. The Democratic idea, however, has been that if you legislate to make the masses prosperous their prosperity will find its way up through every class which rests upon them.”

That was more than three decades before the collapse of the economy in 1929. The crash followed a decade of Republican control of the federal government during which trickle-down policies, including massive tax cuts for the rich, produced the greatest concentration of income in the accounts of the richest 0.01 percent at any time between World War I and 2007 (when trickle-down economics, tax cuts for the hyper-rich, and deregulation again resulted in another economic collapse).

Yet the plain fact that the trickle-down approach has never worked leaves Republicans unfazed. The GOP has been singing from the Market-is-God hymnal for well over a century, telling us that deregulation, tax cuts for the rich, and the concentration of ever more wealth in the bloated accounts of the richest people will result in prosperity for the rest of us. The party is now trying to pass a scam that throws a few crumbs to the middle class (temporarily — millions of middle-class Americans will soon see a tax hike if the bill is enacted) while heaping benefits on the super-rich, multiplying the national debt and endangering the American economy.

As a historian of the Great Depression, I can say: I’ve seen this show before.

In 1926, Calvin Coolidge’s treasury secretary, Andrew Mellon, one of the world’s richest men, pushed through a massive tax cut that would substantially contribute to the causes of the Great Depression. Republican Sen. George Norris of Nebraska said that Mellon himself would reap from the tax bill “a larger personal reduction [in taxes] than the aggregate of practically all the taxpayers in the state of Nebraska.” The same is true now of Donald Trump, the Koch Brothers, Sheldon Adelson and other fabulously rich people.

Those who donate huge sums to buy congressional seats naturally expect a solid return on their investments. Looks like there's a good chance that those investments will pay off again, and the war against the middle class will mark another triumph. Sad.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8227 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-November-30, 21:21

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-November-30, 19:55, said:

Are your questions at the end of all your posts intended to be rhetorical? Do you handle difficult problems by asking other people questions that you yourself don't know the answer to? It's a weird way to post on a message board.

I was under the impression that this is a discussion board. Asking questions is one of the ways to invite discussion. Giving an opinion usually shuts down discussion or invokes argument, not discussion. Since you think my asking questions, rhetorical or not, is weird, you must prefer just giving opinions.

#8228 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-01, 03:53

View Postldrews, on 2017-November-30, 21:21, said:

I was under the impression that this is a discussion board. Asking questions is one of the ways to invite discussion. Giving an opinion usually shuts down discussion or invokes argument, not discussion. Since you think my asking questions, rhetorical or not, is weird, you must prefer just giving opinions.

Drew, Drews, Drews...

You do realize that you have a posting history, right? So when you make comments like the following

Excuse me, but I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, apparently you are. I am just posting
a viewpoint opposed to the groupthink so prevalent here. We will see how it all turns out at the next elections.

people who remember them can find them and bring them back up at inconvenient times...

For example, here you seem to be making a claim that you are posting crap because this is a discussion board and you are trying to invite discussion, however, we already have examples where you have directly stated that you aren't interested in discussions, rather, you just get off lobbing ***** bombs into the middle of the table.

So don't pretend that you're interested in discussion or anything like an interactive discussion.

You're just posting ***** because any attention, even if its folks calling you an asshole, is better than your sad lonely little life down there in Mexico...
Alderaan delenda est

#8229 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-01, 06:24

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-December-01, 03:53, said:

Drew, Drews, Drews...

You do realize that you have a posting history, right? So when you make comments like the following

people who remember them can find them and bring them back up at inconvenient times...

For example, here you seem to be making a claim that you are posting crap because this is a discussion board and you are trying to invite discussion, however, we already have examples where you have directly stated that you aren't interested in discussions, rather, you just get off lobbing ***** bombs into the middle of the table.

So don't pretend that you're interested in discussion or anything like an interactive discussion.

You're just posting ***** because any attention, even if its folks calling you an asshole, is better than your sad lonely little life down there in Mexico...

Wow, I must really get under your skin! So sad.

#8230 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-01, 07:09

View Postldrews, on 2017-December-01, 06:24, said:

Wow, I must really get under your skin! So sad.

Notice the complete inability to address the actual comments and the need to resort to diversion...

With this said and done, yes, you really get under my skin.

I have led a privileged life which has allowed me to (pretty much) isolate myself from the likes of you.

Anyone who exhibited the gleeful belligerent ignorance that is your stock in trade would have been unceremoniously drummed out of

• The companies in which I work
  • The universities in which I have studied
  • The social groups that I enjoy

And let me be very specific here... There are plenty of conservatives where I work. The Economics, Business, and Engineering departments at MIT have a bunch more. There are even some conservatives and libertarians in my social circles. And I get along fine with them...

What distinguishes them from you is that they are actually interested in intelligent dialogue. Moreover, they understand that a spouting a bunch of nonsense and then complaining about "Libtards' does not form the basis for any kind of a discussion.

So yes, I have limited experience with idiots like yourself. Moreover, while I understand how to deal with them F2F and in better moderated environments, I rally don't have much clue what to do in areas like the watercooler.

Ignoring you doesn't work
Confronting you doesn't work
And the moderators don't do jack *****...

So, yes, "You get under my skin".

On the bright side, from what I can tell, with the exception of a few other trolls, most everyone else seems to despise you as well so at least I stand in good campany.
Alderaan delenda est

#8231 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-December-01, 07:22

View PostPassedOut, on 2017-November-30, 20:45, said:

Here we go again? I’m a Depression historian. The GOP tax bill is straight out of 1929.

Those who donate huge sums to buy congressional seats naturally expect a solid return on their investments. Looks like there's a good chance that those investments will pay off again, and the war against the middle class will mark another triumph. Sad.

It helps to be able to recognize a con job when we see one. Two features of the tax plan:
1. There is a tax cut for the middle class that will expire but "could be extended".
2. There in an almost universally acknowledged massive gap between projected income and spending that we are told will be dealt with later.

Every child is taught, or should be taught, that "sign here, we will take care of the details later" is a sure indication of a scam.
Ken

#8232 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-01, 07:25

View Postkenberg, on 2017-December-01, 07:22, said:

It helps to be able to recognize a con job when we see one. Two features of the tax plan:
1. There is a tax cut for the middle class that will expire but "could be extended".
2. There in an almost universally acknowledged massive gap between projected income and spending that we are told will be dealt with later.

Every child is taught, or should be taught, that "sign here, we will take care of the details later" is a sure indication of a scam.

In addition to this, the sheer number of outright lies that are being mad about the new tax plan are incredible...

https://www.nytimes....pe=sectionfront
Alderaan delenda est

#8233 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-01, 08:36

Oooh! the first Flynn indictments are dropping...
Alderaan delenda est

#8234 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-01, 09:29

hrothgar, it's not entirely clear that we'd get along great in a social setting, but i respect you immensely for your honesty.
OK
bed

#8235 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-01, 09:53

View PostPassedOut, on 2017-November-30, 20:45, said:

Tax "reform" notwithstanding, I expect that monetary policy (as in the Great Depression) is more to be feared. All the loose cash (QE) will make the attrition all the greater when those debts are called in and no one can pay. Loss of tangibles? Debtor's prison? Indentured servitude? All just a way to extract value from the masses, like the plutocrats have been doing since commerce was invented.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#8236 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-01, 10:33

This just in:

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn pleaded guilty Friday to lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, marking another milestone in the wide-ranging probe of Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

By pleading guilty to one lonely count when faced with so many serious charges, Flynn signals that he is now a co-operating witness for Mueller. This is really bad news for Teflon Don. Tick-tock, tick-tock....
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8237 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-December-01, 10:56

BOOM!

ABC News‏Verified account
@ABC
Follow Follow @ABC
More
JUST IN: @BrianRoss on @ABC News Special Report: Michael Flynn promised "full cooperation to the Mueller team" and is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians." http://abcn.ws/2AhU3Iq

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#8238 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-December-01, 11:01

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-December-01, 10:56, said:

BOOM!

Brian Ross@ABC
(-: Zel :-)

#8239 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-December-01, 11:23

What are the odds that "a senior member" = Jared Kushner?
(-: Zel :-)

#8240 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-December-01, 11:24

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-December-01, 09:29, said:

hrothgar, it's not entirely clear that we'd get along great in a social setting

but, but, but...

I'm charming, really I am, and a great conversationist, and a stellar cook and ever so modest...
Alderaan delenda est

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

46 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google