BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#7401 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 21:08

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-September-21, 20:47, said:

:P

A tad more - what gets to me the most is the 62 million who voted for Trump and the 40% who still support him. And that the Republicans to be supported. that they continue to hold all branches of government hostage, and their supporters are intent on forming an evangelical theocracy.

The Republicans are able to hold the government hostage only because they are winning the elections. The solution is obvious, Democrats have to start winning more elections at both the state and federal levels. That doesn't seem to be happening. What do you think it takes for the Democrats to be more successful?

#7402 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-21, 21:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-September-21, 20:47, said:

:P

A tad more - what gets to me the most is the 62 million who voted for Trump and the 40% who still support him. And that the Republicans to be supported. that they continue to hold all branches of government hostage, and their supporters are intent on forming an evangelical theocracy.

<insert aaron rodgers meme>

They're holding America hostage, unfortunately. I'm hopeful for 2018, though. Even Texas is much more purple than most realize, assuming everyone gets out to vote.
OK
bed

#7403 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-September-21, 22:04

View Postjjbrr, on 2017-September-21, 21:53, said:

<insert aaron rodgers meme>

They're holding America hostage, unfortunately. I'm hopeful for 2018, though. Even Texas is much more purple than most realize, assuming everyone gets out to vote.

FYP <_<
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7404 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-22, 05:00

View Postldrews, on 2017-September-21, 21:08, said:

The Republicans are able to hold the government hostage only because they are winning the elections. The solution is obvious, Democrats have to start winning more elections at both the state and federal levels. That doesn't seem to be happening. What do you think it takes for the Democrats to be more successful?

Better gerrymandering at the state and local level is a good start!

#7405 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-22, 05:42

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-September-21, 17:29, said:

I am no longer certain that this country is worth saving or living in. To wit: (emphasis added)

Why do you sound so surprised that politicians can rise up against a "tyrannical" Supreme Court that sanctions same-sex marriage which is an affront to the established mores and principles of a Bible Belt South? Didn't a Georgia governor in 1956 suggest that this out of control court would prohibit states from outlawing mixed race marriages? The nerve. . .

#7406 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-22, 06:28

Fascinating column by David Brooks today: The Coming War on Business:

The only time I saw Sam Francis face-to-face — in the Washington Times cafeteria sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s — I thought he was a crank, but it’s clear now that he was at that moment becoming one of the most prescient writers of the past 50 years. There’s very little Donald Trump has done or said that Francis didn’t champion a quarter century ago.

In a series of essays for conservative magazines like Chronicles, Francis hammered home three key insights. The first was that globalization was screwing Middle America. The Cold War had just ended, capitalism seemed triumphant and the Clinton years seemed to be an era of broad prosperity. But Francis stressed that the service economy was ruining small farms and taking jobs from the working class.

His second insight was that the Republican and conservative establishment did not understand what was happening. He railed against the pro-business “Economic Men” who thought G.D.P. growth could solve the nation’s problems, and the Washington Republicans, who he thought were infected with the values of the educated elites.

In 1991, when his political mentor, Pat Buchanan, was contemplating a presidential bid, Francis told him to break with the conservative movement. “These people are defunct,” Francis told Buchanan. “Go to New Hampshire and call yourself a patriot, a nationalist, an America Firster, but don’t even use the word ‘conservative.’ It doesn’t mean anything anymore.”

His third insight was that politics was no longer about left versus right. Instead, a series of smaller conflicts — religious versus secular, nationalist versus globalist, white versus nonwhite — were all merging into a larger polarity, ruling class versus Middle America.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#7407 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-September-22, 06:50

Personally, I found the following quote more telling

Francis’ thought was infected by the same cancer that may destroy Trumpism. Francis was a racist. His friends and allies counseled him not to express his racist views openly, but people like that always go there, sooner or later.

The Civil War was an open wound for many in his circle, and in 1994 Francis told a conference, “The civilization that we as whites created in Europe and America could not have developed apart from the genetic endowments of the creating people, nor is there any reason to believe that the civilization can be successfully transmitted to a different people.”

Alderaan delenda est

#7408 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-22, 08:24

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-September-22, 05:42, said:

Why do you sound so surprised that politicians can rise up against a "tyrannical" Supreme Court that sanctions same-sex marriage which is an affront to the mores and principles of a Bible Belt South? Didn't a Georgia governor in 1956 suggest that this out of control court would prohibit states from outlawing mixed race marriages? The nerve. . .

I am not surprised. I am sick of the influence of religions and dealing with the influence of blind, loyalist adherents outside the walls of the personal prisons their beliefs build and guard.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#7409 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-22, 08:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-September-21, 22:04, said:

FYP <_<

Posted Image
OK
bed

#7410 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-22, 16:36

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-September-22, 05:00, said:

Better gerrymandering at the state and local level is a good start!

I agree but that requires the Democrats to actually win more elections at the state level. Again, something that isn't happening.

#7411 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-22, 22:07

What is the upside for Trump to do this?

President Trump continued his efforts to belittle accusations of Russian meddling in the 2016 election on Friday, turning to the latest set of charges, involving targeted political ads placed on Facebook by accounts linked to the Kremlin.

“The Russia hoax continues, now it’s ads on Facebook,” Trump wrote on Twitter

This is proven, documented evidence of Russian interference. How can an American president deny it or not do anything to try to prevent it from happening again?

Deplorable? That must be Dante's level of hell for Trump supporters.

#7412 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 01:25

View Postldrews, on 2017-September-22, 16:36, said:

I agree but that requires the Democrats to actually win more elections at the state level. Again, something that isn't happening.

True. Then again, there is the 2020 census to get that gerrymandering just right. . . but it's all about legislative control and right now, the Republicans have lots of it.

https://www.washingt...m=.f13062ba18eb

#7413 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 07:34

View PostRedSpawn, on 2017-September-23, 01:25, said:

True. Then again, there is the 2020 census to get that gerrymandering just right. . . but it's all about legislative control and right now, the Republicans have lots of it.

https://www.washingt...m=.f13062ba18eb

So then the question is: Why are the Democrats doing so poorly at the state level? And what do they need to do to reverse that situation?

#7414 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-23, 10:08

If you read this, you quickly form the conclusion that only lunatics and WWE fans - but I repeat myself - can still be supporting Donald Trump for anything.

#7415 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 12:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-September-23, 10:08, said:

If you read this, you quickly form the conclusion that only lunatics and WWE fans - but I repeat myself - can still be supporting Donald Trump for anything.

OMG, are you still reading the Washington Post? No wonder you have the ideas that you do.

#7416 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 13:40

View Postldrews, on 2017-September-23, 12:55, said:

OMG, are you still reading the Washington Post? No wonder you have the ideas that you do.

So what news sources does grumpy Larry consider reliable?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7417 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-23, 13:42

View Postcherdano, on 2017-September-23, 13:40, said:

So what news sources does grumpy Larry consider reliable?

Archie and Jughead, Hannity, and Breitbart would be my top three guesses.

From a genuine source:

“Believe me, folks,” he said. “The wall is happening.”

Trump said that there’s already a wall along the border and that the administration is renovating it over the next six to seven months to be “pristine, perfect, just as good as new, although we may go a little bit higher than that, but that’s okay.” And Trump said that he’s collecting samples for building a new wall that’s “see through.”

“If you can’t have vision through it, you don’t know who’s on the other side,” Trump said, later explaining that building is what he does best, though he’s also pretty good at this politics thing.

Without a see-through wall, a criminal in “wonderful, wonderful” Mexico could use a catapult to throw “a hundred pounds of drugs” over the wall.

“And it lands, and it hits somebody in the head — you don’t even know they’re there,” Trump said. “Believe it or not, this is the kind of stuff that happens. So you need to have a great wall, but it has to be see-through.”

I feel safer already.

#7418 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-23, 16:23

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-September-19, 17:36, said:

Trump was the "bird" that was given to the established order. He may be a joke, but he is your joke for the next 3 years.

So Al_U_Card claims that Trump voters put a joke in charge of the most powerful military of the world, including essentially unfiltered command over its nuclear weapons, in order to show the "bird" to the established order.

And allegedly it is the coastal elitist democrats who are condescending to Trump voters. But what is more condescending than claiming that they decided one of their most consequential votes of their lifetime just so that they could throw a tantrum?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7419 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-September-23, 19:57

Department of Homeland Security announces that election systems in 21 states were attacked by Russian hackers but few were breached. Question: which states were breached and what was the result of the breaches?

#7420 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-September-24, 05:56

Bill Maher's closing monologue this week described Republicans and Democrats as being like "The Country Mouse and the City Mouse". He pointed out that while Trump claims to be speaking for the "real Americans", he's really a New Yorker, much more at home working with other city folk like Pelosi and Schumer. What he's found in the folks in red districts are suckers -- he's like a carnival barker or snake oil salesman who goes out into the country and plays those rubes for fools, and they go for it.

To be fair, many of those people are suffering in modern America, so they were poised to respond to anyone who claimed to have a solution. If you don't have real medicine, that snake oil starts to look pretty good. The problem we have now is that people have been taking the snake oil, it hasn't helped at all, yet they're taking it, expecting it will eventually kick in, and also recommending it to their friends. Do you have to wait until you die before admitting that there were no active ingredients?

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

62 User(s) are reading this topic
2 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. kenberg,
  2. akwoo