BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#6621 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-28, 15:01

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-June-27, 15:37, said:

In colonial times, guns (trained and available militia) meant ability for the rich land-owners to protect their assets from government control or seizure. That principle remains intact and the US is the only 1st world nation with the ability to protect property rights by force, if needed. One of the big impetuses for the US legal system. Individual rights and freedoms maintained on an individual level, to be crushed or controlled by those with the means to, as Gould said: "To pay one half of humanity to kill the other half." Survival of the fattest cats....

Damn straight.. When those revenooers come to take my still, I'm ready.

For comic relief: I was in the bank recently to cash a check. Two windows are open, a customer at each of them, I.m waiting to be next at one, another guy is waiting at the other. The bank has this video screen, or whatever, with revolving comments/ads.
"When in Rome, do like the Romans" "Pay in Euros" .
The guy waiting at the other window loudly addresses me.
"Who wants to pay in Euros?"
"Well, if you are in Europe..."
"I'm not a globalist, I'm a nationalist".

Ah yes, how did Trump get elected? I'm beginning to see some clues.
Ken

#6622 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-June-28, 15:06

View Postkenberg, on 2017-June-28, 15:01, said:

For comic relief: I was in the bank recently to cash a check. Two windows are open, a customer at each of them, I.m waiting at one, another guy is waiting at the other. The bank has this video screen,, or whatever, with revolving comments/ads.

It would be funny if not so tragic.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6623 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-June-28, 19:15

View Postbarmar, on 2017-June-28, 13:20, said:

The gun show/private sale loophole is huge. According to a survey reported in Politifact, about 15% of gun purchases (excluding transactions between family and friends) bypassed background checks, amounting to 5 million gun owners.

While extra protections (like fingerprint checks) would be great, the gun lobby won't even accept a simple thing like closing the gun show loophole. They oppose any measures meant to increase gun safety, on the grounds that they infringe their rights to bear arms.

I think the gun show loophole should be conceded, but the registration of 200,000,000+ guns....nope.

#6624 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-29, 13:20

Nor could the framers contemplate 500,000 soldiers taking on 150 million armed citizens. They saw Hessians and other mercenaries (trans-national professional soldiers) armed by an oppressive government and turned against its own people, not citizen against citizen. The UN notwithstanding, the 2nd amendment is meant to insulate the populace from "foreign" coercion. Still valid, just unused to date.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#6625 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-June-29, 14:27

There seems to be an unspoken assumption in the last few pages of this thread that people need the State to tell them what they can and cannot do, and to protect them from themselves.

It doesn't work that way.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6626 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2017-June-29, 16:49

View Postkenberg, on 2017-June-28, 15:01, said:

For comic relief: I was in the bank recently to cash a check. Two windows are open, a customer at each of them, I.m waiting to be next at one, another guy is waiting at the other. The bank has this video screen, or whatever, with revolving comments/ads.

Sounds like a typical exchange on this thread.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6627 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2017-June-30, 07:29

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-June-29, 14:27, said:

There seems to be an unspoken assumption in the last few pages of this thread that people need the State to tell them what they can and cannot do, and to protect them from themselves.

It shouldn't work that way.

FYP :) Babies need their nannies...

#6628 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-30, 09:34

I have a question for those who support Trump: How does restricting illegal immigration and restricting travel from some Muslim countries solve the problems of the U.S.?

In other words, assuming that Trump's policies are right, what is the endgame - the goal - and how will those policies attain that goal?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#6629 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-30, 10:23

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-30, 09:34, said:

I have a question for those who support Trump: How does restricting illegal immigration and restricting travel from some Muslim countries solve the problems of the U.S.?

In other words, assuming that Trump's policies are right, what is the endgame - the goal - and how will those policies attain that goal?

Gee, I don't know. What is your solution?

#6630 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-30, 11:26

View Postldrews, on 2017-June-30, 10:23, said:

Gee, I don't know. What is your solution?

Gee, Wally. Do you think maybe dad is right?

#6631 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-30, 11:45

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-30, 11:26, said:

Gee, Wally. Do you think maybe dad is right?

So you don't have one.

#6632 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-30, 13:30

View Postldrews, on 2017-June-30, 11:45, said:

So you don't have one.

Et tu, Brute?

#6633 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2017-June-30, 14:50

Trump, master plan? The art of the (free-wheeling) deal. Seat of the pants because fluid situations require flexibility. Amorality tends to appear as indecisive or incomplete but it is just a work in progress.
In business, as long as you are "right" often enough to "win" (make a profit) 51% of the time then you are a "success" and your methods are justified and acceptable.
Prince Machiavelli is spinning in his literary grave...;)

#6634 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-30, 16:37

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-30, 13:30, said:

Et tu, Brute?

Yeah, but I am not criticizing other's attempts to address the problem. You are.

#6635 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-30, 16:38

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2017-June-30, 14:50, said:

Trump, master plan? The art of the (free-wheeling) deal. Seat of the pants because fluid situations require flexibility. Amorality tends to appear as indecisive or incomplete but it is just a work in progress.
In business, as long as you are "right" often enough to "win" (make a profit) 51% of the time then you are a "success" and your methods are justified and acceptable.
Prince Machiavelli is spinning in his literary grave...;)

And how is politics different?

#6636 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-June-30, 20:33

View Postldrews, on 2017-June-30, 16:38, said:

Yeah, but I am not criticizing other's attempts to address the problem. You are.

You obviously can't answer the initial question - how will Trump's agenda solve the problems of the U.S.A - so you try to change the direction of the thread.

I didn't vote for Trump and do not support him. You claim to be his supporter. I'm asking you why you supported him - how is his agenda going to make this country better?

#6637 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-June-30, 20:47

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-June-30, 09:34, said:

I did not vote for Trump.

But here are at least some partial answers:

I don't really know what Trump's policies are let alone how they attain some sort of goal.

As far as restricting illegal Immigration, if you don't restrict it...you have open borders...you have people jumping the queue which really pisses people off who are waiting years for legal immigration. Now of course if you are in favor of open borders...so be it.

As far as this one ban.. a ban for what 90 days....ya useless but at this point in the legal process the question has become more, much more a question of separation of powers issue...not an immigration legal issue. to put it another way, a dumb law, a dumb rule can still be a legal rule....dumb but legal.

#6638 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2017-July-01, 06:10

Betsy DeVos is seeking to repeal rules intended to protect students and taxpayers from predatory for-profit colleges, calling the regulations “a muddled process that’s unfair to students and schools.”

In June, the secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, announced plans to dismantle a set of Obama-era policies devised to protect students and taxpayers from predatory for-profit colleges.

Yet data released in the final days of the previous administration shows that the existing rules have proved more effective at shutting down bad college programs than even the most optimistic backers could have hoped.

The rules that Ms. DeVos wants to repeal are called the gainful employment regulations. For all for-profit programs, and any nondegree employment certificate programs at public or nonprofit colleges, the education department compares how much the typical student borrows versus how much they earn after graduation.

If the ratio is too high — if students borrow lots of money and can’t get well-paying jobs — the program is deemed “failing.” A program that fails in two out of three years becomes ineligible for federal financial aid. Since many for-profit programs get up to 90 percent of their revenue through the Department of Education, the penalty will almost surely shut them down.

No program has reached this point yet. Before it could complete the rules, the Obama administration had to spend years fighting through a thicket of lawsuits filed by the for-profit college industry. Eleven days before President Trump’s inauguration, the Department of Education released the first list of failing programs. Ms. DeVos has extended the original deadline for appealing the findings, and recently announced plans to rewrite the rules.

But a close analysis of the more than 500 failing programs that haven’t appealed their status reveals something interesting: A substantial majority of them, 300 or so, have already been shut down — even though colleges are not yet required to do so. The gainful employment test turns out to be an accurate way of identifying programs that for-profit colleges themselves don’t think are worth saving, as well as identifying programs run by colleges that are on the brink of bankruptcy and dissolution.

Some of the failing programs were run by ITT Tech, a publicly traded chain of technical schools that collapsed under a wave of consumer lawsuits and government investigations in 2016. Dozens of other for-profits have failed in recent years, from mom-and-pop hairdressing academies to business schools with dozens of programs in multiple states.

The gainful employment results suggest why. Students who earned a bachelor’s degree in fashion design at Sanford-Brown College’s now-defunct Chicago campus left school with over $45,000 in federal and institutional loans. But they earned less than $21,000 per year, before taxes, food and rent. That’s barely above the minimum wage for a family of three. Only 29 percent of students who started the program graduated on time.

Sanford-Brown operated for years with results like this, until the education department stepped in. Announcing that the entire chain would shutter, Ron McCray, C.E.O. of Sanford-Brown’s parent corporation, cited a “challenging regulatory environment” and “the gainful employment regulations issued last year.” In other words, rather than invest the time and money necessary to offer affordable programs that lead to well-paying jobs, they simply closed up shop.

Other colleges stayed open, but quickly dispensed with their failing programs. Fortis College, which operates more than 40 campuses in 15 states, used to offer an associate degree in criminal justice and safety studies at its Centerville, Ohio, location. Students typically left the two-year program with nearly $32,000 in debt — yet earned only $15,400 a year. Officials at the Centerville campus say the program is no longer accepting new students.

In fairness, colleges may not have known how ineffective their programs were. Complete, detailed earnings information is hard to come by. (The education department gets its data from the Social Security Administration.) Administrators may simply be acting responsibly based on new knowledge, as Harvard did when it suspended a theater arts program that failed the test.

The colleges that are keeping their failing programs open tend be small concerns that simply can’t afford to lose the revenue. The Seattle Institute of Oriental Medicine offers only three programs, one of which, a master’s degree in acupuncture, failed the test. Tuition is $76,800. The median earnings for program graduates is $16,256 per year.

Despite strong evidence that the gainful employment rules are working as intended, Ms. DeVos has decided to tear them up and start from scratch, calling the regulations “a muddled process that’s unfair to students and schools.” Both Ms. DeVos and the president of the for-profit college industry association, Steve Gunderson, have said that students should be protected from “fraud.” Many of the failing programs aren’t fraudulent, in the strict, legal sense of the word. They’re just extraordinarily ineffective: a waste of taxpayer money and student time.

Bridgepoint Education, a publicly traded for-profit college corporation, offers an online associate degree in early education through Ashford University that costs almost $34,000 in tuition, fees and supplies, most of which students finance with debt. Fewer than half of students finish on time, and the median graduate earns less than $16,000 per year. If those results continue, the program will be cut off from aid under current rules.

Until this year, Robert S. Eitel was a top executive at Bridgepoint. He is now a senior counselor to Ms. DeVos, and has been officially designated as the education department’s regulatory reform officer, in charge of trimming rules under an executive order issued by President Trump.

It will take two years for the Department of Education to write and set into effect new gainful employment rules. A department spokesman declined to say whether the department would be enforcing the existing rules in the meantime. If it doesn’t, and if the new rules gut the existing regulations, Ms. DeVos will have destroyed a highly effective tool for protecting students from for-profit colleges that offer few job prospects and mountains of debt.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#6639 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2017-July-01, 08:17

View Posty66, on 2017-July-01, 06:10, said:

Betsy DeVos is seeking to repeal rules intended to protect students and taxpayers from predatory for-profit colleges, calling the regulations “a muddled process that’s unfair to students and schools.”

thanks for posting

I note you left out non profit colleges and how we can shut down those

It would be nice to see a study of how we can destroy non profits not just profits schools.

#6640 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-01, 08:48

View Postmike777, on 2017-July-01, 08:17, said:

thanks for posting

I note you left out non profit colleges and how we can shut down those

It would be nice to see a study of how we can destroy non profits not just profits schools.

No schools are being shut down. All we are doing is protecting government investment -- something which used to be a Republican priority, before they moved on to funneling money into the pockets of the already-wealthy by any means possible.

We have in place a system of government loans, where the federal government loans money to college students so they can get their degree. This program costs the taxpayers very little as long as most recipients pay the government back with interest. Having such a system is very good for the economy, allowing people from middle-class (and below) backgrounds to get appropriate education and training to be competitive.

However, in order to protect this system we must make sure that the recipients of these loans are attending programs and institutions where they are actually gaining useful skills, and that they will be able to pay back the loan with a reasonable probability. We don't want to just hand over government money to scam institutions (i.e. Trump University) -- doing this will be terrible for the students (who now have huge debt along with a useless degree) and for taxpayers (who are now on the hook for the money which won't get repaid). So we need to make sure our government-backed student loans are going to students who are learning something legitimate.

All the system described does, is to evaluate the average salaries and total debt of the graduates of various programs, and refuse to issue government loans to programs where the salaries of graduates do not justify the expense. Note that even legitimate and prestigious institutions have fallen afoul of this (one of the programs named was at HARVARD). Of course the institutions are not shut down, the programs need not be eliminated. But some of these institutions are basically scams -- profiting almost solely by sucking up federal government "loan" money in order to give useless diplomas to poor people looking for a leg up. Once the federal government declines to fund such programs they have little choice but to shut down (a recent example being ITT Tech).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

70 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 70 guests, 0 anonymous users