BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#4221 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-17, 22:00

hrothgar, on 2017-January-17, 16:58, said:

I don't know. I'd hardly label Trump as a Republican. I wouldn't be surprised to see him impeached by the Republicans in an attempt to get a true believer into the office.

I think this depends on how malleable the Republicans find him to be.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4222 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-January-18, 03:21

Winstonm, on 2017-January-17, 22:00, said:

I think this depends on how malleable the Republicans find him to be.

So far he is very malleable. He has appointed extremists to his cabinet.

Maybe a more likely reason for him to be impeached is if he becomes too much of an embarrassment to them. But given that they are happy with him despite the scandals that have already been, it is probably not going to be a problem.

If he doesn't do his full four years it is probably because he resigns voluntarily or gets killed. Or dies a natural death, one could hope.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4223 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 05:43

helene_t, on 2017-January-18, 03:21, said:

If he doesn't do his full four years it is probably because he resigns voluntarily or gets killed. Or dies a natural death, one could hope.

While I am no fan of DT personally, I think hoping for his death is in poor taste.
(-: Zel :-)

#4224 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-18, 06:06

Zelandakh, on 2017-January-18, 05:43, said:

While I am no fan of DT personally, I think hoping for his death is in poor taste.

Yes, and also the prospect of president Pence is arguably worse.

#4225 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 07:27

All the R establishment wants from him is to sign whatever bills they send over. If he keeps himself busy with stupid tweets in the meantime, so much the better.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4226 User is offline   andrei 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-18, 07:44

Cyberyeti, on 2017-January-18, 06:06, said:

Yes, and also the prospect of president Pence is arguably worse.

No worries, the tolerant left, who doesn't discriminate, wishes the same to both of them.
Don't argue with a fool. He has a rested brain
Before internet age you had a suspicion there are lots of "not-so-smart" people on the planet. Now you even know their names.

#4227 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-January-18, 08:26

The election means that the Dems have very little say in what happens. So what should they do? I hope that when the 2018 elections in the House and Senate roll around, they will be able to say more than "I boycotted the inauguration". Here are some thoughts: With regard to the ACA, they could acknowledge that the voters, intentionally or not, have set the stage for its repeal. They could strongly advocate for the replacement to be fully developed before the current plan is repealed. Moreover, they could suggest, but only if they mean it, then they would like to work cooperatively in developing a replacement. As things stand now, it is not clear if even Reps have any say in the development. Trump is almost done designing it, so he says. As if Monday he will set it out, Tuesday the House will approve, Wednesday the Senate will approve, Thursday he will sign. That is not going to happen even if, and I doubt it is so, Trump has something of substance ready to go. If the ACA had been a cooperative effort from both sides of the aisle and the White House, it probably would be working better, would have had broader support, and it would have been easier to fix the glitches. That didn't happen. Past is past, we could try to do better. Rehashing who is to blame is not my idea of doing better.

Not that I think any of this will happen. I don't, or I try not to, live in a dream world. But in two years there will be another election, in four years there will be another presidential election, and the Dems will have to say what they have done, or at least what efforts they have made. It has to be more substantial than boycotting the inauguration.

As for legitimacy, the first election I voted in (1960) Kennedy made a huge fuss about a non-existent missile gap. The first election I took an interest in (1952), McCarthy was calling Stevenson a Communist. There is a lot of crap during elections, we cope as best we can. People voted, the machines weren't rigged, we have, for better or worse, the Electoral College system, Trump won. On Friday, he becomes the president. That's the end of that phase. If Dems want the support of the people two years from now, they need to get started showing that they can accept reality and deal with it as productively as possible.

We can hope.
Ken

#4228 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 08:47

kenberg, on 2017-January-18, 08:26, said:

The election means that the Dems have very little say in what happens. So what should they do? I hope that when the 2018 elections in the House and Senate roll around, they will be able to say more than "I boycotted the inauguration". Here are some thoughts: With regard to the ACA, they could acknowledge that the voters, intentionally or not, have set the stage for its repeal.

https://cdn3.vox-cdn...12.17.47_PM.png

Posted Image
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4229 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 08:52

hrothgar, on 2017-January-17, 16:58, said:

I don't know. I'd hardly label Trump as a Republican. I wouldn't be surprised to see him impeached by the Republicans in an attempt to get a true believer into the office.

He's made it clear that he is happy to sign off on tax cuts for the wealthy. That should be enough to have him considered a True RepublicanTM by the DC Republican establishment. (They don't care about abortion or opposing gay right or any of that stuff unless it helps them win elections in order to cut taxes for the wealthy.)
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4230 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 10:53

kenberg, on 2017-January-18, 08:26, said:

If Dems want the support of the people two years from now, they need to get started showing that they can accept reality and deal with it as productively as possible. We can hope.

Not just hope. Check out Keith Ellison's roadmap which he discusses with Ezra Klein at: http://www.stitcher....e-the-48843420.

Another Minnesotan with above average insight.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#4231 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-18, 16:18

Will Kremlimgate turn out to be Trump's Nixon failing?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4232 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 07:21

Winstonm, on 2017-January-18, 16:18, said:

No, because the public doesn't care anymore. Pretty much no matter what scandal is revealed, most of his followers will deny it, rationalize it, blame it on Obama or Clinton, etc.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4233 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:00

billw55, on 2017-January-19, 07:21, said:

No, because the public doesn't care anymore. Pretty much no matter what scandal is revealed, most of his followers will deny it, rationalize it, blame it on Obama or Clinton, etc.

Trump followers are still the minority, though.

#4234 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:23

This is ridiculous, more in keeping with crying fire in a crowded theater and should be treated as such.

At some point reasonable people have to say, enough, we will not allow this type of propaganda-by-pseudo-news contamination into our culture.

#4235 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:42

Winstonm, on 2017-January-18, 16:18, said:

I would think the fallout from Summer Zervos is more likely to be such an issue - more of a ML than Wg - although I suspect we have not yet heard of the one that will finally catch up with him.
(-: Zel :-)

#4236 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 10:20

Zelandakh, on 2017-January-19, 09:42, said:

I would think the fallout from Summer Zervos is more likely to be such an issue - more of a ML than Wg - although I suspect we have not yet heard of the one that will finally catch up with him.

That would be entirely decided by the midterm elections - if Democrats still do not control either House or Senate after those, then the Republicans will not go after Trump for anything less than a smoking gun treason charge; however, if it could be found that he was in contact and cooperation with Russia during the campaign, and he continues to profit financially from that cooperation there are enough anti-Russia Republicans to turn the tide against him.

#4237 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-January-19, 14:16

A little too late this time around, but I expect to see lots more stories like this during the next election cycle: From Headline to Photograph, a Fake News Masterpiece

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — It was early fall, and Donald J. Trump, behind in the polls, seemed to be preparing a rationale in case a winner like him somehow managed to lose. “I’m afraid the election is going to be rigged, I have to be honest,” the Republican nominee told a riled-up crowd in Columbus, Ohio. He was hearing “more and more” about evidence of rigging, he added, leaving the details to his supporters’ imagination.

A few weeks later, Cameron Harris, a new college graduate with a fervent interest in Maryland Republican politics and a need for cash, sat down at the kitchen table in his apartment to fill in the details Mr. Trump had left out. In a dubious art just coming into its prime, this bogus story would be his masterpiece.

Mr. Harris started by crafting the headline: “BREAKING: ‘Tens of thousands’ of fraudulent Clinton votes found in Ohio warehouse.” It made sense, he figured, to locate this shocking discovery in the very city and state where Mr. Trump had highlighted his “rigged” meme.

“I had a theory when I sat down to write it,” recalled Mr. Harris, a 23-year-old former college quarterback and fraternity leader. “Given the severe distrust of the media among Trump supporters, anything that parroted Trump’s talking points people would click. Trump was saying ‘rigged election, rigged election.’ People were predisposed to believe Hillary Clinton could not win except by cheating.”

In a raucous election year defined by made-up stories, Mr. Harris was a home-grown, self-taught practitioner, a boutique operator with no ties to Russian spy agencies or Macedonian fabrication factories. As Mr. Trump takes office this week, the beneficiary of at least a modest electoral boost from a flood of fakery, Mr. Harris and his ersatz-news website, ChristianTimesNewspaper.com, make for an illuminating tale.

Contacted by a reporter who had discovered an electronic clue that revealed his secret authorship of ChristianTimesNewspaper.com, he was wary at first, chagrined to be unmasked.

“This topic is rather sensitive,” Mr. Harris said, noting that he was trying to build a political consulting business and needed to protect his reputation. But eventually he agreed to tell the story of his foray into fake news, a very part-time gig that he calculated paid him about $1,000 an hour in web advertising revenue.

He even included a picture to make the story more believable.

The say that Russia had nothing to do with this one, but isn't Harris a common Russian surname??
:P
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#4238 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2017-January-19, 16:17

andrei, on 2017-January-18, 07:44, said:

No worries, the tolerant left, who doesn't discriminate, wishes the same to both of them.

Compared, of course, to the very polite, understated views of those on the right, especially with regard to uppity blacks in high office, or women with the temerity to run. Ah: republicans: such caring, compassionate, polite people.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4239 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 07:35

This too shall pass. Strength and honor.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#4240 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-20, 11:19

This inauguration speech is a call for fascist nationalism. Sad day.

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

54 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google