BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2941 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-November-18, 07:19

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-18, 03:27, said:

Won't help. She's very knowledgeable about the history of the region, and I've heard her argue about that history with a Ukrainian woman. This is not really my area, but the thrust of it is that the history of the last thousand years or so is of people taking land (or trying to) that belongs to Russia. It reminds me a lot of how people talk about the Middle East.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2942 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 08:09

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-November-17, 18:33, said:

I'm in the habit of doing that, but first I need to see who the nominees actually are. If Romney gets Secretary of State, it's probably the best I could hope for.

I suppose Sessions as AG and Flynn as National Security Advisor might be worth a call?

Besides their lack of qualification, it is worrying that being a big Trump supporter seems the main criterion for appointments so far. That sends a clear message throughout the ranks.

Charged with deciding whether to allow the AT&T merger with Time Warner? If Trump is lashing out at CNN for their biased coverage, it sure seems wise to take a sceptical approach if you are hoping for further career advancement within the Trump administration. That's another little step towards a Putin-style regime.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2943 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 08:09

Well in a way the article supports here in that these were the lands of the Kievan Rus and Russians, amongst others, claim them as their ancestors. So you could say that these lands are "Russian", sort of. The article also confirms that aside from this period the Ukraine was never wholly Russian until the Soviet Union. So back to the Kievan Rus, following the link for them is also interesting because it reveals that there is an academic controversy surrounding their origin, with the main theory being that their ruling class was Scandinavian and underclass Slavic. So perhaps that rather dulls the idea of these lands genuinely being Russian.

Even if that were not the case, it is, as you will know, dangerous to take a specific point in history as the definitive ownership. As an Englishman, I might decide that the 1900s ought to be the definitive timeframe and claim half the globe for example. Or go back even further and claim America. And if you take the earliest civilisations as your base then many cultures would need to be radically altered. The more generally held view is that the people inhabiting a region have the rights rather than a larger and more powerful neighbouring country that once held sway there.

And I am fairly sure Russians understand this concept just as well as we do, they just choose to ignore it on occasion and this happens to be part of their negotiating/arguing technique culturally, so you have to take some of it with a pinch of salt and accept it for what it is. If you cede such points that is (again culturally) taken as a sign of weakness. In any case, neither we nor she is likely to solve the issue any time soon so it is all rather moot.
(-: Zel :-)

#2944 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 08:35

View Postcherdano, on 2016-November-18, 08:09, said:

I suppose Sessions as AG and Flynn as National Security Advisor might be worth a call?

Besides their lack of qualification, it is worrying that being a big Trump supporter seems the main criterion for appointments so far. That sends a clear message throughout the ranks.

Charged with deciding whether to allow the AT&T merger with Time Warner? If Trump is lashing out at CNN for their biased coverage, it sure seems wise to take a sceptical approach if you are hoping for further career advancement within the Trump administration. That's another little step towards a Putin-style regime.

I don't think that the Senate has a say in the Flynn appointment. Sessions is another matter and I'm going to refresh myself on the history of the racism charges. Terrible omen for the Justice Department.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2945 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 08:58

Along the lines of fake news, there's Trump's association with a guy who combines radio evangelist and Rush Limbaugh: How Alex Jones, conspiracy theorist extraordinaire, got Donald Trump’s ear

“I think Alex Jones may be the single most important voice in the alternative conservative media,” says Roger Stone, the Nixon-era political trickster who orchestrated Trump’s appearance on the show.

On Monday, Trump seemed to confirm Jones’s status. Jones says Trump called to promise he would return to the program to thank the Infowars audience, an extraordinary gesture for an incoming president whose schedule is packed with calls from world leaders and the enormous task of overseeing the transition. The president-elect’s team hasn’t confirmed that the conversation took place.

Stone, who takes credit for persuading Jones to support Trump, envisions the Web impresario as a potent force during the new administration, a bridge between the presidency and a restless, skeptical slice of the population. “He’s a valuable asset — somebody has to rally the people around President Trump’s legislative program,” Stone says.

In his films, as well as his hours-long radio and Web broadcasts, Jones frequently returns to his core theme of the threat posed by shadowy, malevolent, elite “globalists” bent on worldwide domination.

The United Nations, he claims, intends to release plagues that will kill off 80 percent of the people in the world. The remaining population, he says, will be herded into crowded cities where they will be enslaved by the elite, turning the Earth into a “prison planet.” A smaller population would mean the elite would have less competition for mysterious “life extension technologies.”

The recurrent message is that these powerful interests foment insecurity to then foist policy changes on an addled public. Hence, the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, in Jones’s telling, was confected to thrust gun control on America.

“Sandy Hook is a completely fake, with actors, in my view, manufactured. I couldn’t believe it at first,” Jones said on one program. “I know they had actors there clearly. But I thought they killed some real kids.”

Other tragedies, such as the Boston Marathon bombing, he says, were “false flags” employing CIA-manipulated dupes who take the blame. The raid on Osama bin Laden’s compound was faked because the terrorist leader was a CIA asset. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms was behind the Oklahoma City federal building bombing. It goes on. And on. And on.

I have to believe that Trump cynically uses this guy to elicit support from "the poorly educated." That would align exactly with the reasons he gave to the Romney campaign when advising them to endorse the Obama birther movement.

If Trump actually believes any of this it's even worse. Not good either way. :(

#2946 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 10:16

Jeff Sessions will be the next Attorney General! What a great choice. America will be a nation of laws again in only ~2 months!!!

Posted Image

"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2947 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 10:52

View Postmikeh, on 2016-November-16, 18:18, said:

However, racism is a broad term and not all racists act or think the same way. Imo, and others will no doubt differ, you are a racist if any of your opinions of or behaviours towards people are influenced by the race of such people.
Emphasis mine.

Kaitlyn, it's also worth noting that by Mike's own definition, he is a racist. I'm confident that he favors discriminating against whites in hiring or in university applications. I'm confident that he supports racially/religiously polarizing organizations like La Raza & Black Lives Matter & the Muslim Brotherhood. I'm confident that he hasn't spent a minute of his life advocating for more 'diversity' in China, or in Africa, or in India, or in Japan, or in Israel, or in Vietnam, or in Afghanistan, or in Bangladesh, or in South Korea.

If you use the exact same rhetoric as they use, but substitute "White" for "Latino" or "Black" or "Muslim", he will call you a racist. Here's an interesting NSFW article discussing that phenomenon on Twitter.

Remember, when they go low, we go high.

Posted Image
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2948 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 11:09

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-18, 10:52, said:

Remember, when they go low, we go high.
I think I have taken the high road and will attempt to continue to do that by making no assumptions about the other posters. While demographics support your guess about Mike's anti-white racism, he may be an exception. We are no better than they are if we call them racists without proof.

#2949 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 11:12

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-18, 10:16, said:

Jeff Sessions will be the next Attorney General!

Are you celebrating his appointment despite the fact that he has made racist comments, or because of it?
Just curious.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2950 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 11:18

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-18, 11:09, said:

I think I have taken the high road and will attempt to continue to do that by making no assumptions about the other posters. While demographics support your guess about Mike's anti-white racism, he may be an exception. We are no better than they are if we call them racists without proof.

Just to be clear, I am NOT calling Mike a racist. I am saying that Mike, if he were being intellectually honest and consistent, would call HIMSELF a racist. :P

Here's what to do to them when they hit you in the back:

#2951 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 12:08

More on the fake news front: As fake news takes over Facebook feeds, many are taking satire as fact

Robert thought hard about the exact number of Syrian refugees he wanted to place in Native American reservations.

He originally had decided on 50,000 but thought that sounded too believable. It needed to be more ridiculous. So he wrote his headline:

US to House 250,000 Syrian Refugees at Navajo, Standing Rock Indian Reservations

Of course, that isn’t true in the slightest. But on Facebook, a lie can go around the world before the truth has even been posted.

Robert – who asked that his last name not be used – considers himself a satirist. A glance through his site, Real News Right Now, indeed shows a light, if perhaps too subtle, touch of humor.

Of course, that means not everyone got the joke. Fox News’s Sean Hannity was soon parroting the 250,000 refugees claim. Soon, so was Donald Trump.

Robert was shocked. “That was very unsettling,” he said. “I was, like, this is incredible.”

I looked at the Real News Right Now site and it does provide very funny satire. It would be a shame to lose that just to prevent political hacks from using preposterous stories to dupe the gullible.

#2952 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:06

View PostPassedOut, on 2016-November-18, 12:08, said:

I looked at the Real News Right Now site and it does provide very funny satire. It would be a shame to lose that just to prevent political hacks from using preposterous stories to dupe the gullible.

That's a very funny site :) The comments to their articles are even funnier.

#2953 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:47

The Oxford Online Dictionary's definition of "racism" is:

1 Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior

1.1 The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

So racism doesn't necessarily include every activity or belief that distinguishes people by their race, it's mainly those that treat them as superior or inferior.

For instance, if I consider white women generally more attractive than black women, I don't think that makes me racist. Attraction is based on looks, and race is obviously included in that. It's not much different from whether I prefer blondes or brunettes. As to why I have this preference, it could be because I grew up in a racially segregated environment -- there were almost no black families in the town where I grew up (I think it was mostly Jewish families that moved out to the suburbs from Brooklyn and Queens in the 60's). And most of the people on TV when I was growing up were white, and that influenced what was portrayed as attractive.

So racism may be the root cause of my preferences, but does that make me racist?

What about affirmative action? It distinguishes people based on race. But it's not giving special benefits to minorities because they're inferior, it's trying to make up for past policies that were based on racism, which is the reason why they're likely to be living in a community with a poor school system.

#2954 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:53

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-18, 11:18, said:

Just to be clear, I am NOT calling Mike a racist. I am saying that Mike, if he were being intellectually honest and consistent, would call HIMSELF a racist. :P

You and Kaitlyn do enjoy supporting each other, don't you?

It has become a typical right-wing meme to portray themselves as victims when their views are challenged. Transference is a powerful psychological defence mechanism and you and Kaitlyn are prototypical examples.

Let's see:

my postings show that I believe that one should judge people on how they behave and their character (which we infer from behaviour) and not their 'race'. Hmmmm...not quite sure how that makes me racist, but apparently it does in your mind

my postings show that I think that many conservatives are unaware of the extent of their biases. I have pointed to passages written by Kaitlyn. She in fact has admitted that at least some of her beliefs are not merely unsupported by evidence but in fact contradicted by evidence, yet she still defends those beliefs. She likes to cite anecdotes as facts. Strangely, given that she is so sure she is not racist, such anecdotes are consistent in that blacks and muslims are portrayed as problems.Pointing that out has been described as mounting a virulent attack on her. Odd.

As it happens, I go further in terms of race than I have previously posted. I agree with those biologists and geneticists who say that race is largely a societal construct.

Skin colour, hair texture and appearance, facial appearance are of course the product of genes but there is no scientific basis for inferring that the complexes of genes that govern such superficial traits play any role in such traits as intelligence. 'Races' interbreed readily, much to the horror of many bigots (and not all of those bigots are white: mixed race people are often discriminated against in other cultures). Someone whose ancestors were all from Zambia will look quite differently from someone whose ancestors were all from Kenya, just as someone whose ancestry is entirely Norwegian will look much different from a Spaniard of similar 'pure' descent.

Yet go back far enough, and we all came from a single, small population the descendants of which escaped a 'bottleneck' event that almost led to species extinction. Random variation mediated by natural selection, and geographical/cultural isolation of breeding populations led to the appearance of what we call racial characteristics.

Any attempt to analyze intelligence on a genetic level is confounded by the 'noise' that arises from cultural and socio-economic factors. This has been clearly demonstrated by studies that, for example, show that how well black college students do on math tests in the US is influenced by whether they believe that their scores are being compared only to other blacks or whether whites are also writing the same test. It may seem odd to those of us who have privileged backgrounds (ie most of white North Americans or Western Europeans) but the data is clear: when tested under the former conditions, black students score better than under the latter. It is, I understand, a consequence of systemic prejudice that is so universal that it affects the perceptions of the victims as well as of the perpetrators.

That isn't all that surprising. Victims of many forms of pressure often adapt to and accept the pressure as normal. Witness the Stockholm Syndrome. Witness rape victims blaming themselves. Witness abuse victims staying in the relationship, and so on.

In any event, even if I were to be provided with evidence that race did have some effect on such matters as intelligence or character, it would still be inappropriate to judge any individual or group based on that effect. Similarly with gender or sexual orientation, which are markers that seem to have great significance to many conservatives.

Intelligence is a fuzzy concept. I have scored rather well on IQ tests, LSAT exams and the old 11+ in the UK. I read far faster than anyone I know, as one example of how that manifests in life. But I can't draw or paint to save my life, and I was, to put it kindly, a mediocre athlete. Artistic ability is a form of intelligence and I am well below average in that field. Athletic ability requires significant subconscious brain power. Think about the act of catching a deep fly ball in baseball....the processing that allows a fielder to go to the right spot as soon as the ball is hit. Think about the special awareness of a Wayne Gretzky when he made passes to other players, or found open ice to take a pass.

So no single scale of intelligence is appropriate, but even if it were, and even if one could show that skin colour or race played any role, individual variation far exceeds any group effect, to the point that when assessing any individual, his or her race is statistically insignificant. My own view is that there is no valid basis for concluding that there is ANY effect, but my point is that even if I am mistaken (and in theory it is obviously possible that there is some interrelationship between skin colour or eye shape, etc, and brain efficiency), such cannot be detected due to the enormous impact of such items as socio-economic status, maternal diet and health care, access to education, quality of early childhood home life, etc.

Just as I see no basis for inferring that a black or latino's worth or intelligence or character is influenced in any meaningful way by the genes that create those attributes, I see no basis for inferring that a white person's worth, etc, is influenced by such factors either.

In the face of this, I confess that I am amused and bemused by being called a racist.

Btw, I don't live in China. I don't read or post on Chinese websites. Indeed, I have zero aptitude at different languages (another form of intelligence at which I suck), so am unlikely to do so. However, if I were able to do so, and if a Chinese bigot were to post that whites were inherently inferior due to their race, I would respond to them as I respond to bigots here.

As it is, the only bigots with whom I have interaction are on this forum.

I look forward to learning why it is that an attitude that assumes that 'race' is an irrelevant factor in how one deals with others is evidence of racism. I infer, from what I have read here, that jon and maybe Kaitlyn are of the view that if one denies that whites are superior, or if one alleges that a white person is a bigot, then one is (as Trump's proposed AG once described a white civil rights lawyer) a 'disgrace to my race'.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2955 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:57

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-18, 10:16, said:

What a great choice. America will be a nation of laws again in only ~2 months!!!

If there is one thing that the Watercooler has taught me, its that Canada has its fair share of racist assholes.

Its almost comforting when you discover that folks who you despise for one reason turn out to be complete pieces of ***** on so many other axes...
Alderaan delenda est

#2956 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:57

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-November-18, 13:06, said:

That's a very funny site :) The comments to their articles are even funnier.
It looks like someone went through a lot of work to put up that site, with several categories of "news" stories. And as gullible as I am made out to be, I didn't find one headline that looked remotely credible. This is an example for those that don't want to visit the site:

Israel to Resettle 1 Million Palestinians on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

It's hard to believe that he replaces all that content daily.

#2957 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-18, 13:58

Attraction is an interesting area Barry and there is more to it than you write. You are right that if you find people of one race or another more or less attractive, it is not necessarily a sign of racism. However, if you find women of a particular race unattractive because you believe they are untruthful, well that is racist. The point is whether you are judging the other person based on their being an individual on the same criteria as you would anyone else or if you are ascribing to them characteristics based on racial stereotyping. This is one more example of racism that is almost impossible to prove but can nonetheless be very deep-rooted and is difficult to address.
(-: Zel :-)

#2958 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 14:09

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-18, 13:57, said:

It looks like someone went through a lot of work to put up that site, with several categories of "news" stories. And as gullible as I am made out to be, I didn't find one headline that looked remotely credible. This is an example for those that don't want to visit the site:

Israel to Resettle 1 Million Palestinians on the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

It's hard to believe that he replaces all that content daily.

He doesn't. The content is dated and accumulates.

Taking Diana_Eva's suggestion, I read the comments to this article from August 15: Police Shoot Department Store Mannequin 67 Times After Mistaking it for Gunman and they were indeed hilarious.

Have to say, though, that the author has a very impressive bio: R. Hobbus J.D.

#2959 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 14:18

Mike reminds me of the joke about the guy who lost his keys:

A police officer sees a drunken man intently searching the ground near a lamppost and asks him the goal of his quest. The inebriate replies that he is looking for his car keys, and the officer helps for a few minutes without success then he asks whether the man is certain that he dropped the keys near the lamppost.

“No,” is the reply, “I lost the keys somewhere across the street.” “Why look here?” asks the surprised and irritated officer. “The light is much better here,” the intoxicated man responds with aplomb.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Straw_man

#2960 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-18, 14:26

"Kaitlyn, it's also worth noting that by Mike's own definition, he is a racist. I'm confident that he favors discriminating against whites in hiring or in university applications. I'm confident that he supports racially/religiously polarizing organizations like La Raza & Black Lives Matter & the Muslim Brotherhood. I'm confident that he hasn't spent a minute of his life advocating for more 'diversity' in China, or in Africa, or in India, or in Japan, or in Israel, or in Vietnam, or in Afghanistan, or in Bangladesh, or in South Korea."

"Just to be clear, I am NOT calling Mike a racist. I am saying that Mike, if he were being intellectually honest and consistent, would call HIMSELF a racist. :P"

Now Mike, here's how an intellectually honest person would reply to my argument:

Either deny that you favor/support the things that I say I'm confident you favor/support.

OR

Explain how favoring/supporting those things doesn't constitute having "opinions of or behaviours towards people [that] are influenced by the race of such people."

Here's how YOU replied:

IQ differences!
I'm amused at being called a racist!
I'm going to keep misusing the word bigot no matter how many times you post its definition!
You're a white supremacist!

Shame on you, sir.

Posted Image

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

95 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 95 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google