BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#2701 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-12, 13:11

Very thoughtful article on Trump's immigration policy for those who aren't completely beyond reason:

https://imprimis.hil...fugee-question/

"The common-sense citizen is forgiven for thinking this train of thought insane."

That's the 2016 election in a nutshell.
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2702 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 14:43

View Posty66, on 2016-November-12, 13:04, said:

Tom Friedman's take on the election had some themes in common with awm's take. Friedman described a feeling of homelessness which felt right to me. I understand the temptation and the wisdom of fleeing. Life is too short to have to deal with this bullshit year after year after ***** year, in the real world and even here in the water cooler. One of my literary heroes is Cormac McCarthy who wrote these lines almost 40 years ago and has not shown any signs of mellowing since:

The problem for me isn't so much Trump or Bush as it is the crazed minds of the people who voted for them and who speak for them here in the water cooler, the last refuge on what looks more like the road to hell than I ever imagined I would find myself on in this country. I mean, I don't even think John Denver could spin this into something that looks like its going the other way anytime soon.

But those same "crazed minds" were present all along and were blithely ignored right up to the final fatalistic moment. Now they are a problem? Because they expressed their democratic right? (Hardly crazed IYAM...) Billions spent by corporate masters could not subvert the system and you are worried about those "crazed minds" that used their vote to express the inacceptability of the practices of those same masters? Hard to fathom such a lack of perception.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#2703 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 15:46

I'm am American. [ Or, to be literary, I am an American, Minneapolis born. See The Adventures of Augie March]. I was born here, I live here, I'll die here. I have never felt the need to claim that the U.S. is exceptional, I have never felt the need to leave it. I have occasionally considered moving back to Minnesota. I grew up there, but I have been told that you can't go home again. Becky likes the Pacific coast, so do I, perhaps we will move west someday. But four of the five kids are in Maryland, yesterday was my younger daughter's birthday, we are about to go over to my older daughter's for a celebratory dinner. We will stay here.
Ken

#2704 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-12, 16:02

View Postkenberg, on 2016-November-12, 15:46, said:

I'm am American. [ Or, to be literary, I am an American, Minneapolis born. See The Adventures of Augie March]. I was born here, I live here, I'll die here. I have never felt the need to claim that the U.S. is exceptional, I have never felt the need to leave it. I have occasionally considered moving back to Minnesota. I grew up there, but I have been told that you can't go home again. Becky likes the Pacific coast, so do I, perhaps we will move west someday. But four of the five kids are in Maryland, yesterday was my younger daughter's birthday, we are about to go over to my older daughter's for a celebratory dinner. We will stay here.

The US IS the exception that makes it exceptional. Don't under-estimate the desirability of enshrined rights and freedoms (like so many immigrants do appreciate) as well as a system that promotes (for the time being) self-reliance and individual autonomy. It's greatest force is the decentralized nature of its federation. Unique and a union worth preserving and enjoying.

#2705 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-November-12, 16:04

The sensation I seem to hear most and feel myself is an overwhelming sadness - a grief as if something good and much loved has died.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2706 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-12, 16:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-November-12, 16:04, said:

The sensation I seem to hear most and feel myself is an overwhelming sadness - a grief as if something good and much loved has died.

Noble cause corruption withdrawl? All these posts from the usual suspects reek of being poor losers. Hang in there for another election cycle and you'll get your chance to re-instate your next "Hope and change" candidate who will doubtless promulgate more of the same...

#2707 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 17:17

View Postonoway, on 2016-November-11, 13:41, said:

What possible reason would they have to post such things, they aren't going to get any glory from being approached by predators, it isn't as though they might be talking about anyone famous, these are people who feel fear about even going to get gas from a gas station now or choosing what they will wear for the day, or trying to figure out what to tell their teenager -or their 5 year old! - about what he or she is being faced with in school.

I guess you could ask her what her motive was.

http://milo.yiannopo...y-accuse-trump/
"Maybe we should all get together and buy Kaitlyn a box set of "All in the Family" for Chanukah. Archie didn't think he was a racist, the problem was with all the chinks, dagos, niggers, kikes, etc. ruining the country." ~ barmar

#2708 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-12, 17:36

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-November-12, 16:12, said:

Noble cause corruption withdrawl? All these posts from the usual suspects reek of being poor losers. Hang in there for another election cycle and you'll get your chance to re-instate your next "Hope and change" candidate who will doubtless promulgate more of the same...

This was the first election cycle in 30 years in which there was a genuine chance to swing the Supreme Court from Conservative to Liberal.

Instead, we now have to deal with the following

1. The Republicans will get to pick a replacement for Scalia
2. Ginsburg, Kennedy, and Brennan are all extremely old. 1-2 of them are almost certain to be replaced

This isn't one of those cases where we get to wait four years and then squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube...

Elections have very real consequences
Alderaan delenda est

#2709 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-12, 17:53

Does not the President, seconded (or thwarted) by the party in power in the Congress, get to nominate jurists to that most august branch? Since no president-for-life or one party system exists, it stands to reason that the various judges of the SCOTUS come from moments in time that can produce a range of views, as it should.
Not liking current and future possibilities is just sour grapes. The system was most cleverly devised and, over the long haul, appears to be functioning ably, whether some critics like it or not.

#2710 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 17:59

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-12, 17:17, said:

So there have been 100s of reports of incidents of racists of anti-semites or islamophobes emboldened by Trump. I have seen one report about a false accusation. And you think that one proves your point?

There are lots of nutcases on BBF. But none of them are as despicable a human being as you are.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#2711 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-12, 18:11

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-November-12, 17:53, said:

Does not the President, seconded (or thwarted) by the party in power in the Congress, get to nominate jurists to that most august branch? Since no president-for-life or one party system exists, it stands to reason that the various judges of the SCOTUS come from moments in time that can produce a range of views, as it should.
Not liking current and future possibilities is just sour grapes. The system was most cleverly devised and, over the long haul, appears to be functioning ably, whether some critics like it or not.

Believing that Democratic presidents should be allowed to nominate Supreme Court Justices is hardly "sour grapes"

The Republicans refused to allow Obama to appoint a Supreme Court justice during the fourth year of his second term.
They made claims that they would block any appointment that Clinton would have made had she won.

This is hardly a system that is functioning ably...

There are some very good books out there right now explaining how the American system of checks and balances is unable to adapt to modern political realities

https://www.amazon.c...V1GJ23HCJ6VKZD9
Alderaan delenda est

#2712 User is offline   jonottawa 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 18:36

View Postcherdano, on 2016-November-12, 17:59, said:

There are lots of nutcases on BBF.

Ummm, yes. I've noticed.

View Postcherdano, on 2016-November-12, 17:59, said:

But none of them are as despicable a human being as you are.

LOL

Posted Image

Even MSNBC's Chris Matthews gets it:

#2713 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-12, 18:49

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-12, 18:36, said:

Ummm, yes. I've noticed.

LOL

I always find it rather perplexing to see people capable of rational discourse resorting to name-calling to try and further their arguments. We can only improve our understanding of the entire situation by encouraging diverse (if not always opposing) viewpoints. Bankrupting the exchange of ideas by marginalizing contributors is the last resort of those without recourse.

So many good ideas and well-defined positions, why limit ourselves to only that which our prejudices and predelictions deem "right"? It only serves to impoverish our own potential to improve.

#2714 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2016-November-12, 18:51

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-November-12, 18:11, said:

There are some very good books out there right now explaining how the American system of checks and balances is unable to adapt to modern political realities... that agree with my feelings and positions.

https://www.amazon.c...V1GJ23HCJ6VKZD9

There, FYP.

#2715 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-12, 19:19

Its nice that we have JonOttawa and Al_U_Card to remind us that moving to Canada isn't all that its cracked up to be and that the US doesn't have a monopoly on racist imbeciles...
Alderaan delenda est

#2716 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-November-12, 19:27

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-November-12, 18:51, said:

I'd bugger goats on live television if I thought that people would pay attention to me

There, FYP
Alderaan delenda est

#2717 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-November-12, 20:01

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-November-12, 18:51, said:

I'd bugger goats on live television if I thought that people would pay attention to me

Seriously?? No doubt the attention you'd get would be from the police...
:rolleyes:
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#2718 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 20:10

View Postjonottawa, on 2016-November-12, 17:17, said:

That's a totally different situation and I said so in the post, or are you incapable of comprehending the difference?

There are always people drawn to fame at any price, the people I am referencing are people who aren't getting any personal fame, they are looking for somewhere safe to express their astonishment, fear, horror, sense of degradation.

Of course that is likely a stretch for you to imagine. Nor would you be likely to bother, since you can comfortably relax in the idea that anyone who says anything negative is happening is just looking for attention.

Of course, there is the immediate reemergence of the KKK but never mind, I'm sure they are only fun loving guys who like to dress up and make bonfires.They surely wouldn't be actually acting on anything they think.

I wonder sometimes how some people can walk and chew gum at the same time.

#2719 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 20:19

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-November-12, 19:19, said:

Its nice that we have JonOttawa and Al_U_Card to remind us that moving to Canada isn't all that its cracked up to be and that the US doesn't have a monopoly on racist imbeciles...

It fills me with fury and grief that such neanderthal thinking is actually so prevalent here as well. We had our own minor version of Trump in power here for a while, and his totally undemocratic arbitrary authoritarian methods of ruling appealed to the same simplistic, complacent smug people looking for a daddy figure. I think they may all have been ants in a former life, they want everyone marching in lock step, everyone looking the same, smelling the same, doing only as they are supposed to do, everyone knowing what their niche is and never protesting, never looking outside the box they are in.

Luckilly they are still in a minority, but like slugs in a garden they keep showing up and trying to spoil everything.

#2720 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 23:11

View Posthrothgar, on 2016-November-12, 19:19, said:

You should know that the US doesn't have a monopoly on racist imbeciles by simply opening your eyes and looking at the policies in countries whose people hate us:

Gays being stoned to death
Women relegated to second class citizens or little more than slaves or possessions; being subjugated to their husbands who they may not have even chosen, often beaten for expressing an opinion.

But perhaps you should look at yourselves to see why you have a "racist imbecile" for a President.

There are many backward racists. They may not have voted if not for the condescending liberal elite constantly calling them bigoted, racist, stupid, uninformed, and uneducated. I'm sure there was a lot of "Let's show those pompous asses who's boss" votes.

There were many people who may or may not be racist, but are definitely sick of all the politically correct nonsense being pushed down their throats. Trump's message inspired them to vote.

There were many people who have seen the two Clinton justices and two Obama justices consistently rule in lockstep with each other in favor of interpreting the Constitution in a way that would have the Founding Fathers would have rolled over in their grave. They feared that a Clinton presidency would mean perhaps a quarter century of a majority of justices ruling that way. (My vote was partially based on that.)

There were many people that saw that Hillary Clinton as extremely corrupt and feared her being in power. Many if not most of those realized that Donald Trump would not be a good President but feared that Hillary would be worse for the country. (My vote was partially based on that.)

Many Obama voters who voted for Hope & Change saw divisiveness get worse in our country, did not see the racial situation improve (yes, the racists seemed to get worse during an Obama administration), and saw more people go into poverty. They weren't anxious to see four or eight more years of the same, and while they could not bring themselves to vote for Trump, they weren't inspired to vote for Clinton either.

This is the country we live in. Future demographics look to favor your side (an electoral map of the millennial votes was almost all blue.) However, for now, you have to realize that there are many people that do not think like you do, and if you want to get a government that's to your liking, you have to appease some of the voters described above. You cannot just say "We know what's best for you, so shut up and take our candidate!" and expect it to happen.

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

28 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 28 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook