BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#1501 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2016-June-06, 09:47

Gary Johnson (former govnr of New Mexico, Libertarian candidate) was on Joe Rogan's podcast a few weeks ago. Could be an interesting listen (although it is long).

https://www.youtube....h?v=KQIuHGbKckY

Third party candidates could be very interesting if the system allowed voting for more than one candidate (approval or preferential voting). I think a lot of Bernie people could vote for Jill Stein and Hillary or Johnson and Hillary. It would be very interesting to see what % the Greens or the Libertarians got under such a system. I understand that winner takes all is the simplest but it doesn't seem like everything in politics should be or is simple (how would you explain the separation of powers to a five year old?).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#1502 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-06, 10:42

View Postblackshoe, on 2016-June-05, 12:45, said:

I'm a registered Republican, although I'm thinking of switching to Libertarian, or just de-registering altogether (if the State will allow me to do that). I know that Obama is black. I don't care. I know that he was born in the US. I think that "controversy" is a crock of *****. I frankly don't know, nor do I care, what religion he follows. My problem with him is that he's a political campaigner, not a leader. And from what I've seen of him, I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw the White House.

I had the same problem with Bill Clinton - never thought he really stood for anything other than getting elected. I have changed my mind about Obama - in his last two years he is showing he has strongly held views and has the courage to follow those convictions.

To not go to war, IMO, requires as much if not more courage than just "putting boots on the ground". And from what I have read recently, ISIS is losing ground and is in a state of mini-chaos.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1503 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-06, 12:38

View Postgwnn, on 2016-June-06, 09:47, said:

how would you explain the separation of powers to a five year old?.

Mother plans your dinner, father sees to it that you get to be on time.

But now on to various voting schemes. I think that I prefer that we just vote for one person. Every scheme has its flaws, both in theory and in practice.

Parties can re-align. It has happened during my lifetime and it may be about to happen again. This is at least a somewhat democratic process in that attention is paid to what people want, or think that they want.
Ken

#1504 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-June-06, 13:46

View Postkenberg, on 2016-June-06, 12:38, said:

Mother plans your dinner, father sees to it that you get to be on time.

OK maybe I'm not 5 so that's why I don't get it but I have no idea how that is going to explain separation of powers. I do know that I set the bar high but I think most 5-year olds can understand "whoever gets the most votes gets the nomination" (if you just look at it per state that is).

But now on to various voting schemes. I think that I prefer that we just vote for one person. Every scheme has its flaws, both in theory and in practice.

Parties can re-align. It has happened during my lifetime and it may be about to happen again. This is at least a somewhat democratic process in that attention is paid to what people want, or think that they want.

What do you think of a runoff at least? If there is a runoff (you can have a runoff per state) I can usually happily choose the candidate I believe in the most in the first round. Then at least someone like Gary Johnson could get in runoffs in some heavily red/blue states or get some substantial numbers in all states if people know that they are not usually going to put their "lesser of two evils" in danger.

"Every scheme has its flaws" is just a truism. Yes, every car has its flaws so let's just buy the brand that is easiest to pronounce or from the dealer closest to my house... It is a simple fact that a vote for a third party candidate is a wasted vote if you know that you are in a "swing state." This is an awful state of affairs. Approval voting can help us find out a bit more about the electorate. Right now we just don't know how many people like the libertarians/greens because they are put in an impossible situation. Not just "who do you like most" but also "who do you like most out of the people who you think have reasonable chances; or if you hate all people with reasonable chances then which person constitutes the best protest vote; or maybe you just don't understand anything and who do you like most at the risk of electing a monster due to your wasted vote?" Yes I know that approval voting is also asking kind of a weird question from people: "who are you OK with?" where the cutoff between OK and not OK is in a way arbitrary.
      George Carlin

#1505 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-06, 15:01

A run-off instead of it going to the House? So if nobody gets 270 electoral votes then the two leaders run against each other in December? I am not sure how practical it is, but it might be ok

Not for this year though. Rules don't get changed in the middle of the contest. Anyway it would require an Amendment and that takes time. And would probably fail.
Ken

#1506 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-June-06, 15:10

Of course not this year :) when did I ever suggest that? I'm not an idiot.

A national runoff could be one thing. A state-by-state runoff could be another solution. Not sure. I'm not saying I know the right answer. I am saying that the first past the post system is unfair because when people say to Jill Stein, say, "you only got 1% of the popular vote" they are actually saying "only 1% were brave enough to wager that they are not in a swing state and/or had sufficient disdain for the two main candidates so as to vote for you." In all other than first-past-the post systems people like Jill Stein could build a base by steadily increasing their votes every four years. In 2016 maybe 10% would vote for her (if people knew that there is no major danger of the spoiler effect). In 2020 maybe 20%. etc. She would have a say in the national polling.

Just using her name as an example. I actually have no idea what she stands for and will not read up on her because nobody will vote for her, which is part of the problem.

edit: At the risk of doing an "ad absurdum", even Romania has a presidential runoff. So if it's practical in Romania, I think it's practical in the US, which is supposed to be the number one democracy etc etc.

(actually I like the Romanian election system, although not any of the candidates. a threadjack if there ever was one. sorry.)

This post has been edited by gwnn: 2016-June-06, 15:14

George Carlin

#1507 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-06, 16:05

I did not mean to imply any idiocy. With either of us!

I am having trouble seeing just how the state by state run-off would go. Election night in November: State X goes red. State Y goes blue. But state Z has no one getting a majority. So state Z says "We will get back to you in a month or so". No. I can't see this as being broadly acceptable. If some states get to re-run the election in December I expect all states would want to do so. It would be a warm-up in November, then the real election, with two candidates, one D, one R, would be in December.

I don't think that the current problem is primarily a matter of system. We have a large number of people greatly unhappy with both parties. That is certainly a problem. It is also an opportunity for political re-alignment if the parties and their candidates can understand and speak to voter's needs. Of course it is also an opportunity for demagogues. That is an unsolvable problem of democracy. People must judge whom they can trust and whom they cannot. If they judge well, we will be fine. If not, it won't go so well.
Ken

#1508 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2016-June-06, 16:37

Well, of course if one candidate did win 270 electors (quite possible), there wouldn't be a runoff in any states. But the idea would still be that Gary Johnson could say in 4 years "I got 10% in state X, 20% in state Y, 30% in state Z" so that either:

a) next time, more people would see him as a real candidate and vote, or:
b) next time, the two main parties would see that his message resonates and would try to cater to those voters

But really this is not particular to the runoff system (which is not my favourite), just to no significant measure of the spoiler effect. "First past the post" is really the worst of everything, other than taking the least amount of words to explain.
      George Carlin

#1509 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 05:37

Not to forget voter turn-out. Even if almost half of the populace don't (or won't, or can't) vote, they still (hopefully) pay taxes and are likely eligible for government largesse. Thus, the concept of a "simple" majority is really cause for buying votes, in the various forms available. Was not the electoral college instituted to ensure that the CIC was selected by a more august group of voters? (Letting the rabble elect their candidate leads to all kinds of rabble-induced changes that could affect the rich-man's status.)

Trump is the people's candidate while Hil is the establishment's choice. An interesting change from the usual 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other "choices" previously available.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#1510 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-June-07, 06:10

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-June-07, 05:37, said:

Trump is the people's candidate

:o :unsure: :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

#1511 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-07, 07:10

View PostAl_U_Card, on 2016-June-07, 05:37, said:

Not to forget voter turn-out. Even if almost half of the populace don't (or won't, or can't) vote, they still (hopefully) pay taxes and are likely eligible for government largesse. Thus, the concept of a "simple" majority is really cause for buying votes, in the various forms available. Was not the electoral college instituted to ensure that the CIC was selected by a more august group of voters? (Letting the rabble elect their candidate leads to all kinds of rabble-induced changes that could affect the rich-man's status.)

Trump is the people's candidate while Hil is the establishment's choice. An interesting change from the usual 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other "choices" previously available.

McCain versus Obama was six of one, half a dozen of the other?
But it is true that Trump is not really six of anything. I'm not sure of Hillary qualifies as half a dozen.
Ken

#1512 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-June-07, 09:47

This is one of the better comments I've seen about Trump (meaning, I agree with the comment :P ), and I think it summarizes why Trump really has little chance in the general election:

His campaign is one of personal insult, ethnic divisiveness and blatant disregard for the norms of political discourse. On the one hand, this is what got him the nomination. On the other hand it cannot possibly broaden his appeal to undecided voters. Those who already support him find it comforting. Those who need persuasion to vote for him will be repelled. It will destroy him.

Preaching to the choir does little to produce new choir members, and that is all Trump does and it is his appeal. I see little chance that Trump can attract any further votes than the ones he has already garnered from the primaries. As long as there is a reasonable turnout, he should get crushed in the general election by whomever the opposition chooses to run.

I really like the analogy of choir-preaching in the GOP as, to me, it explains the fall of the GOP from a political organization that evolved into a de facto faith-based closed community that spends its time reinforcing its own beliefs to each other, from trickle down economics to Benghazi to the liberal media bias to the thieving Welfare Queens and Social Security as the causes of national debt.
The GOP seems intent on keeping alive illusions rather than taking on reality.

Perhaps the GOP ballot should replace the check here box with an Amen box?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#1513 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-07, 19:28

I wonder if there is any chance of people who really don't want to see Hillary become President voting for Trump thinking he has no chance, a protest vote as it were. That might make for some very scary consequences although from here not sure that either one isn't going to lead to scary ( but different) consequences.

#1514 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-June-07, 22:56

View Postonoway, on 2016-June-07, 19:28, said:

I wonder if there is any chance of people who really don't want to see Hillary become President voting for Trump thinking he has no chance, a protest vote as it were. That might make for some very scary consequences although from here not sure that either one isn't going to lead to scary ( but different) consequences.

thank god for messy, limited, divided government in conflict with each other.

thank god we at least make an effort to divide economic power from political power in some imperfect way.

Combining the two will lead to fascism in all the worst meanings of the word.

#1515 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 02:05

View Postmike777, on 2016-June-07, 22:56, said:

thank god for messy, limited, divided government in conflict with each other.

thank god we at least make an effort to divide economic power from political power in some imperfect way.

Combining the two will lead to fascism in all the worst meanings of the word.

IMO, the US of A has seen economic power and political power aligned significantly to one another over the past few decades.
There was a study done (probably by Princeton University) that said new laws passed by Congress (and State legislatures) are designed to favour the rich & the super-rich.

#1516 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2016-June-08, 06:02

View Postshyams, on 2016-June-08, 02:05, said:

IMO, the US of A has seen economic power and political power aligned significantly to one another over the past few decades.
There was a study done (probably by Princeton University) that said new laws passed by Congress (and State legislatures) are designed to favour the rich & the super-rich.

Quite so. The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), financed by the Koch brothers, oil companies, and pharmaceutical companies, writes "model" legislation to advance their interests and to suppress voter turnout, then bribes legislators to pass the legislation. They've been very successful with this approach.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#1517 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-08, 06:14

View Postonoway, on 2016-June-07, 19:28, said:

Of course anything is possible and, in a nation of 300+ million, I suppose most anything happens somewhere. But "I don't like Hillary so I will vote for Donald just as a protest, knowing he won't win" does not seem likely to me. More troubling is the vote based on "What we are doing doesn't seem to be working, so let's give this guy a chance. At least it will be different" approach. I think quite a few votes will come from that.

I see that DT now claims that his remarks about the "Mexican" judge were misconstrued. It is a hopeful sign. Apparently there were quite a few Republicans who regularly turn themselves inside out to support Trump but who really couldn't stomach this one. Once people start to really think about it, I can at least hope that there will some kind of collective vomiting up and flushing of support. Carping abut "the establishment" is not always off-base, but Trump? There are limits, and Trump is way out beyond them. So I hope, anyway.
Ken

#1518 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 06:20

I wonder if DT will do a "The Apprentice: vice president" series shortly?
Circus maximus maximus ;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#1519 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-June-08, 14:12

View Postkenberg, on 2016-June-08, 06:14, said:

Of course anything is possible and, in a nation of 300+ million, I suppose most anything happens somewhere. But "I don't like Hillary so I will vote for Donald just as a protest, knowing he won't win" does not seem likely to me. More troubling is the vote based on "What we are doing doesn't seem to be working, so let's give this guy a chance. At least it will be different" approach. I think quite a few votes will come from that.

Perhaps also the idea that so many politicians are desperate to distance themselves from Trump that it would be easier to keep some sort of control over him, make him a sort of lame duck president, than it will be if Hillary gets a huge mandate. She most certainly has big business interests at heart and that seems to be one of the major things that people that people most resent and (accurately or otherwise) don't see Trump as having.

#1520 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-June-08, 15:36

View Postonoway, on 2016-June-08, 14:12, said:

Perhaps also the idea that so many politicians are desperate to distance themselves from Trump that it would be easier to keep some sort of control over him, make him a sort of lame duck president, than it will be if Hillary gets a huge mandate. She most certainly has big business interests at heart and that seems to be one of the major things that people that people most resent and (accurately or otherwise) don't see Trump as having.

Most of us are not deep thinkers, we vote for the person that we think will do the best. At least I always have. Now those who politic for a living may be trying to play a deeper game although I think it is more, for the R pros, a matter of total panic. Since we are all told to avoid political correctness, I will say that they are sounding stupid.

They need someone to tell them how foolish it sounds to talk about a new and improved Trump. It comes across as saying that if only Trump can learn to say Hispanic heritage instead of Mexican rapist then it will all be ok. Paul Ryan isn't stupid, really he isn't, but he and others sound somewhere between creepy and nuts. "Look at my African-American over there". Oh goodie, he remembered to say African-American. See, he can be presidential. And maybe with effort he can be convinced that "Pocahontas" is not a great approach. But he will still be Trump. Terrific Trump. I guarantee you.

We need to not only reject Trump, we need to let the ones who think cosmetic changes will make him a different person know that they are spouting nonsense.
Ken

• 1075 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

39 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 39 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google