BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#11681 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-December-08, 11:56

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-December-08, 10:56, said:

I was just listening to an interview with Adam Schiff in which he said that the House Special Intelligence Committee's top priority was going to be investigating Russian money laundering and the Trump org, with illegal Russian campaign contributions and the NRA being not too far behind...

I would venture the guess that money laundering is a large part of the SDNY investigation with which Michael Cohen refused to cooperate, given his reported close ties to Russian Mafia figures.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11682 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-08, 14:29

Marcy Wheeler (emptywheel.net) seems to have the best grasp on the totality of the quid pro quo: (emphasis added)

And whether or not that language about “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump” was as innocent as Goldstone makes out, in context, it would have clear meaning for Don Jr, whom we know Cohen kept apprised of the efforts to renew the Trump Tower Moscow deal. The Trumps were monetizing this running-for-President thing, and they were happy to make campaign promises to Russians bearing dirt, because the point wasn’t to actually win the election. It was about the hundreds of millions they stood to gain.

And the very day of that June 9 meeting, Michael Cohen started making his travel plans to go meet top Russian officials in St. Petersburg, possibly even Putin himself, plans that were only scuttled when the Russian hack of the DNC got exposed.

https://www.emptywhe...han-i-imagined/
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#11683 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-09, 19:23

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-December-07, 20:42, said:

Best to avoid mentioning certain individuals by name, least they consider this an invitation to return

have you posted a trip report from your vacation? i'd love to read it
OK
bed

#11684 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-09, 23:32

Fox News Talked More About Migrant ‘Invasion’ Just Before Election Than In Past 3 Years Total - And it appears they’re only ramping up that fearmongering rhetoric.

"Dennison"’s favorite television channel was his most important ally in that effort. Prime-time Fox News programs used the words “invasion” or “invaders” to describe migrants and asylum-seekers more times in the 30 days leading up to the Nov. 6 election than they did during all of 2015, 2016 and 2017 combined.

Ultra right fringe politics gearing up for an election.

And yet, "Dennison" and his right-wing media figures refuse to connect the dots between their rhetoric and the extremism it inspires or take responsibility for mainstreaming and empowering extremists.

I have to strenuously disagree with this misguided analysis. Of course Dennison and other right fringe bigoted and extremist Fox personalities know that their hateful rhetoric riles up and motivates the white supremacists. They probably don't even consider this as a negative if it also provokes their base to be more bigoted and racist than before, if that is possible. They object to the accurate analysis of them because it could cost them votes from some independents who can't stomach their neo-nazi/KKK-like rhetoric.

#11685 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-December-10, 07:53

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-December-09, 19:23, said:

have you posted a trip report from your vacation? i'd love to read it

Trip was a mixed bag. Had a great time in Japan and Thailand. The hotel in Cambodia was very much not up to snuff.
Non working AC during a Cambodian heat wave is so not my thing. Add in VERY musty bedding and I ended up fleeing the country.

There's an enormous number of photos (many with captions) on my FB page.
https://www.facebook...lley/photos_all

Almost all involve food since there are plenty of "better" pictures available of the tourist attractions.

Few quick notes:

1. For me, the big discovery of the trip was how much I like Kamakura period Japanese sculpture. The following is one of the most gorgeous pieces of art that I have ever seen
https://i.pinimg.com...ca9f1e5da1d.jpg

2. Single best dish of the trip was a seared quail breast with corn and a quail / corn stock that I had at Gaggan
https://scontent.fbo...30c&oe=5CA0E721

However, a tom yum soup with chicken blood and chicken feet that I got on a roadside in Bangkok was a close second
https://scontent.fbo...9b8&oe=5C68462C

Also tried a bone marrow pho that will stick with me for a while
https://scontent.fbo...6d4&oe=5C912248

Last, but not least tried a new (to me) fruit called a snake fruit that is well worth knowing about

I miss the ravens that are infesting Tokyo. Boston needs ravens!

My favorite ramen joint

https://scontent.fbo...0af&oe=5CA1953D
Alderaan delenda est

#11686 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-10, 14:10

Again, Marcy Wheeler has an interesting take on Individual-1 and his payments to silence women. (enphasis added)

The “sophisticated means” enhancement is addressed to Cohen’s use of complex means to carry out and disguise his crimes. For example, Cohen created shell companies for his commission of the campaign finance crimes, including one shell entity (Resolution Consultants) for use in the transaction with Woman-1 and another shell entity (Essential Consultants) for use in the transaction with Woman-2. (PSR ¶¶ 43, 47.) Cohen also agreed to structure the reimbursement for his payment to Woman-2 in monthly installments, and to disguise those payments by creating fake invoices that referenced a non-existent “retainer.” (PSR ¶ 54.)

While it is true that Cohen pled guilty to campaign finance violations, that’s not what SDNY lays out in this memo. Rather, they lay out conspiracy to defraud the United States, which carries a five year prison sentence, on top of any campaign finance or money laundering prosecution to carry out that fraud. That’s the same charge that Trump appointee Dabney Friedrich just upheld for the Russian trolls that helped Trump win, the same charge that Rick Gates and Paul Manafort have pled guilty to, the same ConFraudUS that Mueller has built all his interlocking indictments around. And there, it’s not so much the intent or success of the attempt to thwart campaign finance oversight that matters, it’s the conspiracy to do it and the secrecy and sophisticated means by which you do it.

#11687 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-11, 10:56

One has to wonder if this had anything to do with Ayers not moving into the Individual-1 chief-of-staff position:

Philip Rucker and Matea Gold (Washington Post, 7/16/16):

In recent weeks, as Trump’s vice-presidential selection process kicked into gear, Ayers developed close ties with Manafort and earned his confidence. Ayers has decided to follow Manafort’s lead in working for the campaign for no pay, while the rest of Pence’s team will be paid staff members. Serving as a volunteer helped Manafort gain Trump’s trust and respect this spring when he fought internally with other senior aides.

#11688 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-11, 17:30

My New Year's predictions - You heard it here first:

After the Mueller investigation is completed, and the House investigations about high crimes and misdemeanors to commence in January are completed, the House will impeach Individual-1 after incontrovertible evidence is presented.

With overwhelming evidence of criminal behavior, enough Senate Republicans in purple states will signal that they are willing to convict Individual-1 that conviction will be a certainty.

At this point, Individual-1 will release a statement saying there was no collusion, and no criminal conspiracy, and that he is resigning as President because of painful bone spurs that make it impossible for him to operate the many TV remote controls at his command.

#11689 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-11, 19:01

"Dennison" Administration Paid Firm Nearly $14 Million To Recruit Just 2 Border Agents

U.S. Customs and Border Protection granted Accenture Federal Services — a subsidiary of the global Accenture consulting company headquartered in the tax haven of Dublin — a $297 million contract last year to boost staffing by thousands in the wake of President Donald Trump’s crackdown on the border and immigration.

MIGA - Make Ireland Great Again B-)

#11690 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-12, 07:54

Curious. Fox and Friends asked Mike Pompeo real questions about the Kashoggi murder. I guess the worms have turned - at least for a few minutes.

#11691 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-December-12, 09:51

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-11, 17:30, said:

My New Year's predictions - You heard it here first:

Sounds more like your letter to Santa.

#11692 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-12, 13:48

I really enjoyed the Gaggan episode of chef's table, and that ramen looks incredible.
OK
bed

#11693 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-December-12, 14:11

I found Gaggan a mixed bag.

The second half of the meal was really solid. All 12 of the dishes worked and there were six in a row that I would consider exceptional.
The first half was much weaker from my perspective.

Too much emphasis on the presentation
not enough work on the flavors themselves.

The ramen is from a place called kikanbo that I quite enjoy
Alderaan delenda est

#11694 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-12, 15:45

This is a big deal as it contributes to the conspiracy to defraud the US talked about in a post above:

The parent company of the previously pro-Trump National Enquirer has admitted to federal prosecutors that “its principal purpose” in paying former Playboy Playmate Karen McDougal $150,000 ahead of the 2016 election “was to suppress the woman’s story so as to prevent it from influencing the election.”

ConFraudUS

Thus, if the defendant and others have engaged in dishonest practices in connection with a program administered by an agency of the Government, it constitutes a fraud on the United States under Section 371. United States v. Gallup, 812 F.2d 1271, 1276 (10th Cir. 1987); Conover, 772 F.2d at 771. In United States v. Hopkins, 916 F.2d 207 (5th Cir. 1990), the defendants' actions in disguising contributions were designed to evade the Federal Election Commission's reporting requirements and constituted fraud on the agency under Section 371.

Emphasis added. Source U.S. Department of Justice

#11695 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-12, 20:11

View Postjjbrr, on 2018-December-12, 13:48, said:

I really enjoyed the Gaggan episode of chef's table, and that ramen looks incredible.

I suppose now that I'm thinking about it, I really enjoyed the ramen episode of chef's table, too. Orkin is a really, really passionate badass, it seems, and that's pretty cool.

Sorry for the derail, all.

edit: and thanks for the trip report. that's really cool. a similar trip is something i've talked about doing with certain people i'd like to experience it with. no takers, yet.
OK
bed

#11696 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-13, 00:38

View Postbarmar, on 2018-December-12, 09:51, said:

Sounds more like your letter to Santa.

Except for Dennison's reason for resigning, everything is on pace to come true. There's already more than enough legal reasons to impeach Dennison from Cohen's sentencing documents and the AMI deal with prosecutors where Dennison Individual-1 has been directly implicated as a co-conspirator in felonies. Amazingly enough, this is just periphery stuff as Mueller hasn't yet to file a single document directly concerning Dennison. Once Mueller's report is completed, and the House conducts it's own committee investigations about criminal activity by Dennison, Democrats will have no option but to begin impeachment proceedings against Dennison or lose any credibility with voters.

What's clear is that Dennison won't want to be the first US President in history to be impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate. Before that happens, he will make up a ridiculous and unbelievable reason why resigning is a victory for him and that he was the most successful and popular president in history.

#11697 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-December-13, 00:56

Rudy Giuliani Says Dennison’s Legal Team Wants Mueller To ‘Wrap The Damn Thing Up’

After two years and two investigations … they have nothing on collusion,” Giuliani said. “Then, they started squeaking about obstruction. They’ve got nothing on obstruction, and Article II prevents them from doing anything about obstruction. Now they’re doing campaign finance.”

Oh Rudy :lol:

Another New Year's prediction from me:

After the Mueller report comes out, Rudy will denounce the Rush to Judgement by Mueller to implicate Dennison in all manner of criminal activities. :rolleyes:

#11698 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-December-13, 09:58

The FCC yesterday said it will consider reversing a longstanding ban on mergers between the "Big 4" broadcast television networks. It also plans to revisit rules that prevent the same company from owning two TV stations in the same market and ones that limit a company from owning too many local radio stations in the same market

Allowing giant conglomerates monopolies is antithesis to the mantra of the right, free market capitalism. I doubt any Republican will challenge this idea. After all, it is good for oligarchs.

#11699 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-December-13, 16:39

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-December-13, 09:58, said:

Allowing giant conglomerates monopolies is antithesis to the mantra of the right, free market capitalism. I doubt any Republican will challenge this idea. After all, it is good for oligarchs.

There's a bit of a paradox there.

The benefits of a free market depend on adequate competition, and monopolies violate that assumption.

But "free" implies minimal regulation and restrictions, and laws that prohibit mergers violate that philosophy.

You have to pick your poison, and the GOP generally goes in the direction that minimizes restrictions. If asked to justify it, they'll use invoke of the same voodoo economics that produced the trickle-down theory.

#11700 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2018-December-13, 16:47

View Postjohnu, on 2018-December-13, 00:38, said:

Except for Dennison's reason for resigning, everything is on pace to come true. There's already more than enough legal reasons to impeach Dennison from Cohen's sentencing documents and the AMI deal with prosecutors where Dennison Individual-1 has been directly implicated as a co-conspirator in felonies.

I'm still not sure.

As long as the GOP has a majority in the Senate, removing him from office will be close to impossible. So impeaching him would be a mostly symbolic act. The the Republicans gain much when they impeached Clinton?

But I admit, that's not really a fair comparison. Clinton was impeached on charges stemming from a relatively inconsequential action -- he lied to Congress, but about something that had little national import (an extramarital affair), not election fraud or collusion with a foreign government. Individual-1's alleged crimes are more on par with Nixon than Clinton.

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook