BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#21521 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2024-June-10, 11:59

Trump is now claiming that he / his policies are responsible for $35 insulin prices
Alderaan delenda est

#21522 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2024-June-10, 20:56

View Posthrothgar, on 2024-June-10, 11:59, said:

Trump is now claiming that he / his policies are responsible for $35 insulin prices

The details of why are unimportant, but today I had to spend a couple of hours in close proximity to a handful of Trump supporters who blabbed nonstop. I'm sure everyone has met this type, two guys who were once in the Army, likely lifers who seemed more brainwashed than stupid and think everything the Army does is the best it can be done-you know the type, really gung-ho, and all they could spout was Constisution this, Constitution that, militia this, militia that, guns this, guns that.... The amount of total crap they spread in that 2 hours was incredible, and joining in was an evangelical Christian woman quoting all the Bible verses that showed Biden was either A. demon possessed B. the antichrist or C. a fulfillment of some inane prophecy that has nothing to do with anything. Biden was found at fault for milk prices being too high, for anything that wasn't Trump. It was obvious that these three believed totally in their delusions and nothing could have reached them.

It was demoralizing to see such depth of gullability. But the deeper issue to me is more troubling: these beliefs are part of these peoples personalities, part of the "self". To challenge those beliefs even with innocuous questions is to upend the person's stability - they simply cannot allow any shaking of their beliefs as that shakes the very core of self. To change their minds requires a tearing down of self and a rebuilding of a new ego. I would guess somewhere well south of 1% are willing to do that.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#21523 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Today, 09:00

View PostWinstonm, on 2024-June-10, 11:55, said:

Perhaps that is how you understood it but that is not what I intended in my post. You point, so it seems, to the Democratic leadership as a reason disgruntled voters aren't abandoning Trump. What I'm saying is that these disgruntled voters are like the followers of Jim Jones in Guyana and that the media is reporting on the killing of the Congressmen who went to investigate as simply normal politics.

There is something that can be done. I can't do it. You can't do it. It requires that we do it as a nation. It requires active politics and voting. It requires self-governance. I doubt we do it.

This is preetty much what I undestood you to be saying. Sure, someting might happen. But your listof possibilities does not include any rethinking by the Democratic leadership. My point, and it has been my point for quite a while now, is that when Trump, always a truly bad guy and now really an almost incoherent bad guy, can be in contention for the presidency the Democratic leadership should at least consider the possibility that maybe they have made a mistake or two. My entire life has taught me that when things go wrong it is useful to look for errors that I might have made.
Ken

• 1077 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

42 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. PassedOut