Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SB acts as a Cuddly Possible UI from question

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-August-28, 04:37

SB was asked his opinion by the North player on a potential ruling on this hand from the Brighton teams. As advised to SB, prior to West selecting his opening lead, and after the auction was over, East asked what North-South's basic system was, and was told 11-14 NT and 5-card spade suit. He asked further how many diamonds North had shown, and was told 4+ and he also asked whether North could still have four spades, and was told that she could. North now commented that it was not East's lead so he should not be asking questions. It was clear to the table that East, a very experienced player, had mistakenly thought he was on lead. A moment or two later, West led the seven of spades and the contract duly went one off.

North felt that the questions by East could have suggested a spade lead (over the alternative of a diamond), as East was clearly considering a spade lead for him to ask whether North could still have four spades, and she thought that a diamond was a logical alternative. However the TD ruled that East had asked several questions, so that a spade lead was not demonstrably suggested, and that the score should stand. How would you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-August-28, 05:10

Well, since the contract is also one off on a Diamond lead, I rule that result stands. Only a suicidal lead of Heart King lets it through.

(just kidding - if they find the winning defence on a diamond lead, of club back into the teeth of dummy, maybe they get a prize).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-August-28, 05:44

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-August-28, 05:10, said:

Well, since the contract is also one off on a Diamond lead, I rule that result stands. Only a suicidal lead of Heart King lets it through.

(just kidding - if they find the winning defence on a diamond lead, of club back into the teeth of dummy, maybe they get a prize).

I think a diamond or a trump at trick two also beats the contract, so I would also rule result stands.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users