• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A hand GIB just couldn't handle

#1 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-30, 11:40

http://tinyurl.com/ov4www3

The auction here began the same way at almost all tables, with the bidding back to opener at 3S. Since I've already referred to it, let's start with the auctions where S raised clubs. 4C was passed (reasonably enough) but 5C was raised to 6! An utterly abysmal call, given that the hand was barely worth 2C to begin with. And there you are, unable to play game, only partial or slam.

The only action that led to any sort of sensible continuation by GIB was 4D, which was raised to 5. This was a good contract that should have been doomed by the bad trump break, although a couple were allowed to make.

I didn't like any of those rebid choices. I considered 4S, but as usual that was described as showing massive values, so I rejected it. Sure enough, those who did cuebid were treated to a Blackwood call from the dead minimum N hand. Any action other than 5C over the cue is unthinkable IMO.

Then I checked the description of 4H. Sounded good! Promised 6 good D, 4H, and extra but not necessarily overwhelming values. Bingo?? I am afraid not, GIB PASSED 4H. Perhaps the contradiction in the description was to blame, starting out with 6+ D, later stating 3+. There are so many auctions where bidding a new suit is described as guaranteeing only 3+ in the opened suit when any basic bridge logic would indicate that it must show at least 5.

My overall conclusion, of which this hand is only the latest of myriad examples, is that GIB needs to start bidding its own hand and stop trying to bid partner's hand for him. And yes I realize that isn't going to happen overnight.

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-July-04, 20:23

View Postiandayre, on 2015-June-30, 11:40, said:

http://tinyurl.com/ov4www3

The auction here began the same way at almost all tables, with the bidding back to opener at 3S. Since I've already referred to it, let's start with the auctions where S raised clubs. 4C was passed (reasonably enough) but 5C was raised to 6! An utterly abysmal call, given that the hand was barely worth 2C to begin with. And there you are, unable to play game, only partial or slam.

The only action that led to any sort of sensible continuation by GIB was 4D, which was raised to 5. This was a good contract that should have been doomed by the bad trump break, although a couple were allowed to make.

I didn't like any of those rebid choices. I considered 4S, but as usual that was described as showing massive values, so I rejected it. Sure enough, those who did cuebid were treated to a Blackwood call from the dead minimum N hand. Any action other than 5C over the cue is unthinkable IMO.

Then I checked the description of 4H. Sounded good! Promised 6 good D, 4H, and extra but not necessarily overwhelming values. Bingo?? I am afraid not, GIB PASSED 4H. Perhaps the contradiction in the description was to blame, starting out with 6+ D, later stating 3+. There are so many auctions where bidding a new suit is described as guaranteeing only 3+ in the opened suit when any basic bridge logic would indicate that it must show at least 5.

My overall conclusion, of which this hand is only the latest of myriad examples, is that GIB needs to start bidding its own hand and stop trying to bid partner's hand for him. And yes I realize that isn't going to happen overnight.

I don't think 5 diamond is stoppable. As usual terrible bidding choices and bidding logic available to GIB- so it has no hope of coming to good place but 4 hearts is a bad choice (I think its really meant to show 5 hearts and 6 diamonds despite the lying abysmal bid description- its not what GIB actually thinks) since North would hopefully have chosen double with 4 hearts and 4+ clubs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users