• You cannot reply to this topic

5H or pass?

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-23, 18:54

View Postneilkaz, on 2015-June-23, 17:46, said:

Added my vote for 4 then pass, but I don't hate an immediate 5.

Against good players direct 5 is not bad. Not so good players tend to accept the push and bid it. And just like Phil I also do not want to defend slam. Yes we can set them if they bid but I prefer not rolling the dice.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-June-24, 05:04

PAss for all the reasons mentioned, plus the fact that you have no more in your hand than your 4 bid already said.

#23 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 06:15

If white vs red, an immediate 5 has lots of appeal. At any other vulnerability I think 4 seems right and that it's just a guess as whether to 'dive' or not when 4 rolls back. I think I'd Pass but would hardly describe 5 as 'wrong'.

Maybe, if I thought North played the cards really well, I might lean towards 5.

#24 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-24, 10:10

I do not understand the compulsion to bid the same hand twice. The 4H bid described the hand and stole from the opponents the maximum room that could be safely bid, and left opponent guessing as to how high to bid and in what suit to compete. One more bid can undo all the good that was done in the first place by giving the opponents a second chance (and now with more information) to double or bid on. Once you have them guessing, leave them guessing.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#25 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 20:51

I would never bid 5H now. That would be voluntarily be taking the last guess. I never do that when I could have made the opponents take the last guess by bidding 5H at my first turn. To me, that was the obvious bid instead of making that cowardly 4H transfer to 4S.

#26 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-25, 00:47

I used to like this "don't take the last guess" stuff but what if you just decide to bid 4H and then 5H over 4S? That's just a plan, not a double guess.

I'm not advocating for that strategy here mind you but I think it is a legitimate way of bidding that can't be dismissed with a one-liner.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#27 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 01:49

Agree with Csaba.
We have captainship so it is not like 4H described our hand. We are allowed to walk the dog, to overbid, to make stripe tail ape doubles or whatever.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#28 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 15:39

At the time we bid 4H we did not even know if they had a spade fit (or if they would find it, if spades are 3-5 it might not be that clear). That alone is enough to make 4H then 5H a reasonable and logical strategy (saving over 5D even if they bid it seems silly and without a spade fit they may judge to just defend 4H X. Saving over 4S if they have a spade fit is much more attractive.)

I would definitely bid 4H and pass fwiw.
The artist formerly known as jlall

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users