• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Open minds? Taboo ideas

#61 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-12, 13:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-12, 09:24, said:

Warning: If I see the word "stupid" (or similar) used to refer to another poster again, I'm shutting down this thread. Ad hominem or not, personal attacks and insults are not acceptable here.

OK, mea culpa.

Despicable is ok, tho?

:P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#62 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-12, 17:23

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-12, 13:27, said:

I think the reason some people are reacting so vehemently to the claim "it's not innate" is that to many people this is interpreted as "it's a choice". Or worse, that it's "caused" by too much exposure to gay culture, which has been used as justification for discrimination against gays (e.g. until civil rights laws were enacted, schools would routinely prohibit gay teachers). But as indicated in those quotes, it's not anywhere close to that simple.

Sexual orientation is innate in much the same way that intelligence and height are. You could have the genes to be tall, but if you're malnourished during your childhood you probably won't be. You could have genes for high intelligence, but if you don't get a decent education you probably won't exhibit it.

But if you have the Down Syndrome gene, you're not likely to become a genius no matter how good the school you go to is. Similarly, if you don't have the genetic tendency towards homosexualilty, no cultural factors are likely to make you gay.

Genetics is just one factor that goes into a person's physical and personality makeup. But for many attributes, it's a necessary prerequisite.

In a case I know quite well, a mother of a gay woman regards it as very important that no choice is involved. She is a good Catholic, she wishes her daughter to be a good Catholic. If her daughter were to choose the gay lifestyle, this would be a serious sin. if there is no choice in the matter, then she can see this as not a sin.

I absolutely do not mean to take her to task for this. She has a daughter who is gay, she wants desperately to reconcile this with her religion, this is her path.

I know another woman who faced the same issue. She gave up on her church. If her daughter is someone the church sees as a sinner, she will find a church that sees it differently. She is still religious, but she has made changes.

People have to deal with their lives. I know some would say that the answer is simple, just scrap religion. I did exactly that in my early adolescence. But this way is not for everyone.

At any rate, in the two cases I mention and maybe in others if I gave it some thought, seeing it as innate (and yes, this is equated to not having a choice) is driven by religious needs.
Ken

#63 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:05

View Postkenberg, on 2015-June-12, 17:23, said:

At any rate, in the two cases I mention and maybe in others if I gave it some thought, seeing it as innate (and yes, this is equated to not having a choice) is driven by religious needs.

Most of the gay people I know are atheists. But then, I know very few people who are not atheist.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#64 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-13, 08:36

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-13, 06:05, said:

Most of the gay people I know are atheists. But then, I know very few people who are not atheist.

You gotta get around more :)
Ken

#65 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-13, 12:28

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-12, 13:27, said:

I think the reason some people are reacting so vehemently to the claim "it's not innate" is that to many people this is interpreted as "it's a choice". Or worse, that it's "caused" by too much exposure to gay culture, which has been used as justification for discrimination against gays (e.g. until civil rights laws were enacted, schools would routinely prohibit gay teachers). But as indicated in those quotes, it's not anywhere close to that simple.
Sexual orientation is innate in much the same way that intelligence and height are. You could have the genes to be tall, but if you're malnourished during your childhood you probably won't be. You could have genes for high intelligence, but if you don't get a decent education you probably won't exhibit it.
But if you have the Down Syndrome gene, you're not likely to become a genius no matter how good the school you go to is. Similarly, if you don't have the genetic tendency towards homosexualilty, no cultural factors are likely to make you gay.
Genetics is just one factor that goes into a person's physical and personality makeup. But for many attributes, it's a necessary prerequisite.
The following is speculation, unsubstantiated by evidence or argument from the web or elsewhere:

Genes influence human characteristics, including predisposition to most tastes and behaviours. As far as sex is concerned, there seems to be an innate general sex-drive -- an urge to obtain sexual release in any convenient way. Also an innate heterosexual orientation. What about other sexual manifestations and orientations like sado-masochism, homosexuality and fetishism? Sado-masochistic impulses might well be innate but is there a distinct genotype behind every shade of gray? Some kinds of homosexual orientation might be innate in other species but what about in man?

How does this kind of argument relate to the genesis of other human behaviour? e.g. Are some belief-systems innate? Human beings appear to be born mathematicians and scientists. Is there is an innate mathematics-drive to relentlessly seek out pattern -- to mentally construct models of reality? Consciousness might be the ability to include ourselves as distinct active agents in such models. Is there an innate science-drive to encourage us to check those models, inducing "laws" from further observation and experiment? Such knowledge aids survival.

Given any random set of dots on a piece of paper, however, a human will mentally organise them into shapes and symmetries. Might this partially account for the genesis of superstition and religion? Also, arguably, in order to make conscious moral decisions, we must rely on unproveable hypotheses. because there is no other logical path from "is" to "ought". Religious preferences are passed from generation to generation, reinforced by social interaction, often before the convert is old enough for rational thought. Religious belief usually relies on blind-faith rather than conscious choice (although the purity of the line is sometimes preserved by the practice of culling apostates). Nevertheless, countless people have died for their religions in crusades or as martyrs. Even today, Islam fundamentalists enthusiastically sacrifice themselves, in the hope that by so-doing, they can kill those of rival beliefs.

Does all this mean that religious-beliefs are innate? Does the willingness of believers to die (and to kill) for their beliefs have any bearing on the existence of religious genotypes? Is Atheism just another irrational belief or is it roughly equivalent to asexuality? Is there a "chosen" race? Does each religious preference depend on a separate genotype? Although it might be possible, it all seems a bit unlikely, for several reasons e.g. there are many different religions/sects and they "mutate" unfeasibly quickly: It's hard for a non-theologian to work out the precise philosophical difference between competing factions (e.g. Catholic-Protestant, Sunni-Shia). Anyway, many regard religious-beliefs as an acquired characteristic (although, conceivably, they might be mistaken).

Similar arguments can be made about whether there are distinct genotypes underlying other preferences (e.g. like/dislike of Marmite or sprouts). If so, to what extent do genes determine preferences, compared with environmental influences? More research might help to resolve such issues.

#66 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-13, 16:25

View Postnige1, on 2015-June-13, 12:28, said:

The following is speculation, unsubstantiated by evidence or argument from the web or elsewhere:

size="2"]Is Atheism just another irrational belief or is it roughly equivalent to asexuality? [/size] [size="2"]

I don't want to be banned or see the thread closed, therefore I shall let the 'thinking' behind this absurd proposition stand for itself, lol.

Ok, I can't stand it. lol. Atheism is the absence of belief....it is not that I believe there is no God. After all, while it seems improbable that there is, and vanishingly impossible that, if there is, it matches the description of any god invented by humans, it isn't possible to prove that no god-like entity, whatever that means, exists. No, I do not believe in the absence of god....I just don't possess any belief in its existence. This proposition, so straightforward to most secular people, seems somehow to be beyond the ability of most religious believers to grasp.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#67 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-13, 21:08

Does all this mean that religious-beliefs are innate?

In fact, many scientists think that the tendency to believe in some form of religion is a part of human nature. Religion has been part of almost all human societies for as long as we know. There are many ways in which it improved the condition of primitive human societies. It also likely comes from our ability and need to recognize cause and effect -- before we had sufficient understanding of science, we attributes the "cause" of things in nature to supernatural beings in our own image, because we were the only thing we could imagine that could create such complexity.

Similarly, a craving for sugar and the propensity to overeat when food was plentiful was also critical to humans at that time. But with modern lifestyles, it leads to type 2 diabetes. Our genes are littered with needs and tendencies that served us well thousands of years ago, but are now obsolete.

#68 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-13, 23:46

Genes influence human characteristics, including predisposition to most tastes and behaviours. As far as sex is concerned, there seems to be an innate general sex-drive -- an urge to obtain sexual release in any convenient way. Also an innate heterosexual orientation.

"Innate"? So we all have it? Including homosexuals?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#69 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-June-14, 08:32

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-13, 21:08, said:

In fact, many scientists think that the tendency to believe in some form of religion is a part of human nature. Religion has been part of almost all human societies for as long as we know. There are many ways in which it improved the condition of primitive human societies. It also likely comes from our ability and need to recognize cause and effect -- before we had sufficient understanding of science, we attributes the "cause" of things in nature to supernatural beings in our own image, because we were the only thing we could imagine that could create such complexity.

Similarly, a craving for sugar and the propensity to overeat when food was plentiful was also critical to humans at that time. But with modern lifestyles, it leads to type 2 diabetes. Our genes are littered with needs and tendencies that served us well thousands of years ago, but are now obsolete.
Completely agree. That fits my speculation. It's also realistic to allow that "there are more things in heaven and earth..." But is there evidence for separate genotypes for specific beliefs?

#70 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-June-14, 08:37

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-13, 23:46, said:

"Innate"? So we all have it? Including homosexuals?
IMO there's a heterosexual-orientation genotype. Some argue that homosexual-orientation is innate. Is there persuasive evidence for a human homosexual-orientation genotype?

#71 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-June-14, 08:51

View Postnige1, on 2015-June-14, 08:32, said:

I agree -- that fits my speculation. But is there evidence for separate genotyopes for specific beliefs?

Depends what you mean by "specific"

http://www.theatlant...liberal/280677/
Alderaan delenda est

#72 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-14, 11:28

View Postnige1, on 2015-June-14, 08:32, said:

Completely agree. That fits my speculation. It's also realistic to allow that "there are more things in heaven and earth..." But is there evidence for separate genotyopes for specific beliefs?

It might be difficult to determine this. The predominant religion in Asia is Hinduism, which I think is more spiritual and less "prescriptive" than western religions. And there's clearly a number of genes that are predominant in Asian people (producing smooth black hair, flatter faces, epicanthic fold), so there's an obvious Asian genotype. But does the correlation come from genetics or thousands of years of shared culture?

#73 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-June-14, 13:30

Why does it matter is sexual orientation is innate or choice?
Most people choose who they sleep with, who they live with, who they marry.
Why do we care if some people are going to choose people of the same sex (or sometimes people of the same sex)?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#74 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 16:17

View PostRMB1, on 2015-June-14, 13:30, said:

Why does it matter is sexual orientation is innate or choice?
Most people choose who they sleep with, who they live with, who they marry.
Why do we care if some people are going to choose people of the same sex (or sometimes people of the same sex)?

To those of us who don't care who other people sleep with, have sex with and marry to, it does not matter whether it is innate or not. But you know very well that it matters to a lot of people in the world and we can not pretend like everyone see it as "it does not matter"
Now back to your question why it does matter to them whether it is innate or not

A logical person would think that religious people would be more tolerable to homosexuals if they knew that it is innate . This is common sense but a very naive expectation imo.. Among multiple reasons, the most powerful reason is, in my own opinion, if it is accepted as "innate" it leads to accepting that the person had no choice and if you are a believer it means that it is given by GOD. Now this is one hell of a big brown and smelly thing for a believer to accept and swallow. Shortly accepting it to be innate contradicts with all the other jambo mambos a believer has already accepted to be true. It threatens the main fundamental structure of what they believe. It is yet another smack on the face about the image of GOD for them. It is acceptable ONLY if those people are sick and there is some sort of disorder about them or they chose to be sinners. Basically it is more about their image of their GOD and about themselves rather than being about homosexuals. And as a result they will argue to death that it is not innate despite the science. As we witnessed in this very topic.

If it is chosen by a person and not innate, they will still hate/judge that person but not as much as they would hate when it is decided to be godgiven. Even the idea of it terrorizes them.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#75 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-14, 16:25

There is an excellent chance that this is of interst to no one but me but I figure that as along as I don't call anyone a moron I am home free.

My wife Becky knows that I liked Jennifer Beals in Flashdance so she mentioned that she will be in a tv show called Proof . The story involves confronting the possibility of life after death. Actually the story-line sounds a bit far-fetched but I like Ms. Beals and it is being directed by Kyra Sedgwick who I also like.

This gave me an opportunity to read about Ms. Beals. Her father was African American, her mother Irish American. After her father died her mother married Edward Cohen and I will guessing that he was Jewish. So she has a varied background.

Under personal life the Wik says:

Beals has described herself as a "spiritual person".[37] She has expressed interest in The Bible and Catholicism, as well as Judaism, which she once considered conversion to, and is a practicing Buddhist.

As to the other theme of this thread, we find

She has been a vocal advocate for gay rights saying, "I think after playing Bette Porter on The L Word for six years I felt like an honorary member of the community.

She also likes kickboxing and ballet. I doubt anyone finds this woman dull.

Anyway, I know nothing of the series but it's a relaxed day, I just blew several hands at bridge, and I thought I would mention it.
Ken

#76 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-15, 06:46

Homophobes need to believe that it's a choice to justify their bigotry against gays. And fundamental Christians need it to justify calling it a sin, which then justifies discriminating against them.

If it's innate, discriminating against gays would be as childish as calling someone "four-eyes" because they need to wear glasses.

#77 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 07:11

I believe wearing glasses is a choice. I have no problems with glass-users as long as they are non-practicing :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#78 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-15, 07:45

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-15, 07:11, said:

I believe wearing glasses is a choice. I have no problems with glass-users as long as they are non-practicing :)

It is definitely time for those who hide their proclivities by using contact lenses to come out of the closet.

"Men seldom make passes at girls who were glasses" is a horrible ting to say. Dorothy Parker must be banned from school libraries.

OK, time to shut up and go mow the grass.
Ken

#79 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-15, 08:13

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-11, 13:35, said:

However, the notion that there may be innate cognitive differences associated with different ethnic backgrounds doesn't seem to me to be at all abhorrent, for two reasons.

The problem is that such data is not always easy to interpret. One of the earliest experiments in this area was to take a group of "natives", as they would have been known at the time, and present to them pairs of everyday items. They then had to remember where they were located - the memory game in effect. It was shown that a control group of Europeans scored more highly and this was generally taken as strong evidence of the superiority of "the white man". Some time later, another group repeated the same experiment but using everyday items for the other culture involved. Now the European group performed worse by about the same amount.

So if you are going to work in this area, you better be very sure of your results before publishing. And such rigour is unusual in the social sciences.

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-13, 16:25, said:

Ok, I can't stand it. lol. Atheism is the absence of belief....it is not that I believe there is no God.

That may be your definition, Mike, but it is by no means the only one. As an example, I learned in Religious Education at school that Shintoism is an atheist religion. That is, a follower of Shintoism believes in no god but is nonetheless a religious believer. The point being that Shintoism is a religion based on spirits and not gods. And the classical example of an atheist religion is Buddhism. I understand that it is in modern day America (and presumably also Canada) unusual to use the word atheism in this way but it is nonetheless perfectly correct.

Whether it has any bearing on what you were responding to I don't know - I skipped over most of this thread. But I will take this opportunity to come out of the closet finally. Yes Ken, I am indeed wearing contact lenses at the moment.
(-: Zel :-)

#80 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-June-15, 10:25

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-June-15, 08:13, said:

The problem is that such data is not always easy to interpret. One of the earliest experiments in this area was to take a group of "natives", as they would have been known at the time, and present to them pairs of everyday items. They then had to remember where they were located - the memory game in effect. It was shown that a control group of Europeans scored more highly and this was generally taken as strong evidence of the superiority of "the white man". Some time later, another group repeated the same experiment but using everyday items for the other culture involved. Now the European group performed worse by about the same amount.

So if you are going to work in this area, you better be very sure of your results before publishing. And such rigour is unusual in the social sciences.

We are in agreement. We need to separate out the question of whether a topic is so abhorrent or repugnant to our societal values as to be an unacceptable research project, on the one hand, or whether it is conceptually acceptable to look into it, but very, very difficult to do so appropriately. Factoring out cultural influences seems to me to be extremely difficult. Richard, in this thread, referenced a longitudinal study on political leanings that, to a layperson such as myself, seems to have been able to at least minimize such influences, by starting with young infants, and focussing on twins who were separated at birth. However, even there, it seems to me that there might be some cultural effects. After all, identical twins put out for adoption are likely to attract adoptive parents who, as between the two sets of parents, share many values and beliefs. One could argue that that can't explain why fraternal twins differ far more than identical twins, and that might be a complete answer, but on the other hand, it seemed to me that the study suffered from a pretty small sample size when it came to some of the categories that showed the most extreme effects. And so on.

That may be your definition, Mike, but it is by no means the only one. As an example, I learned in Religious Education at school that Shintoism is an atheist religion. That is, a follower of Shintoism believes in no god but is nonetheless a religious believer. The point being that Shintoism is a religion based on spirits and not gods. And the classical example of an atheist religion is Buddhism. I understand that it is in modern day America (and presumably also Canada) unusual to use the word atheism in this way but it is nonetheless perfectly correct.

I have never discussed Shintoism with any follower of that religion. I have discussed Buddhism with some Buddhists.

It may be that a Shinto believer would self-describe as atheist, but it strikes me as unlikely. My limited exposure to Buddhists persuades me that they would take exception to being called 'atheist', while also pointing out, as did you, that they don't believe in any gods as such. It is all semantics anyway, since the post to which you responded was itself a response to a post from nige1 in which he stated his opinion that atheism is an irrational belief, implying that it represented an idea similar to his belief in his god.

This is a common trope amongst religious people in discussion with or attacking atheists. I suspect that for many the subconscious reasoning is that they know that their belief in their god is silly when viewed objectively. They cannot refute the arguments against their belief, so they distort the beliefs of their critics.

As virtually all atheists acknowledge, it is not possible, with the state of human knowledge today, to prove that no god exists. Anyone who cleaves to such a belief is doing so in spite of this rationally unassailable position. Therefore, if one can assert that atheists believe that god doesn't exist, one has demonstrated (!) that atheists hold to an irrational belief, just as do godbots.

Once one can say to one's critic that he or she is exactly the same.....equally irrational....one can safely dismiss the arguments of the critic as hypocritical.

If one had, instead, to confront the reality, which is that the atheist doesn't claim to 'know' the answers, but instead rejects the irrational adaptation of a particular fantasy as the answer, one has to examine why one holds to the fantasy as true, and that can be very uncomfortable for someone who claims that he or she views the world based on evidence.

Many studies show that most people will got to incredible lengths of self-deception to avoid admitting that their core values were silly.

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users