BBO Discussion Forums: Maybe not a bug, but interesting questions? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maybe not a bug, but interesting questions?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-02, 15:44

MP

I should be interested to read views on what options are available to South, responder, on his second turn, ranked by preference. Assuming that you agree with the auction up to that point, of course.

I reckon that there may be up to 3 possible approaches to answering this.

One is to ask: what would GIB bid, sitting South?

Another is to ask: Playing in a GIB tournament, which bid is likely to have most success?

A third is to ask: If you were playing with a human partner of choice, but forced to play something akin to Gibberish, at least up to that point, what would be your preference?

Finally, I have observed that lately GIB is not averse to rebidding 1NT with a singleton in responder's suit. So not averse, in fact, that it has been known to rebid 1N with 5521 shape (there is a thread somewhere in these columns with that example). That being the case, why would GIB not rebid 1N on this North hand? It would certainly take South's problems away.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-June-02, 18:16

Your auction looks completely normal to me.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-02, 21:01

2D was natural in principle. It even precedes the explanation with the narrative "New suit -". This additional verbiage seems entirely superfluous unless we insert an implied "natural".

Per the description GIB accepts that it may be as few as 3. But xx?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 06:16

Here both of Gib's bidding and explanations are no problem.

This 2 is a complex issue actually,some players are regarded as NMF,some as relay bid,some as specific artificial.
So whatever it is,2 isn't a natural bid in principle basically.

2 operates similar to Stayman, it allows the 11+ point responder to explore a game fit by discovering the suit length and specific strength. 2 says nothing about the new minor. 2 is strictly conventional (alertable), both artificial and forcing.

If you disagree,maybe Gib CC is an exception? I don't know.
I don't hope we will go on discussion on it because this issue will involve in Gib CC which aren't allowed to discuss.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 14:11

The correct responder rebid here is indeed 2D. This is one area in which GIB's version of 2/1 is compatible with generally accepted methods. The only possible alternative is 3NT but with both unbid suits unstopped, that is a very poor option. Less so with GIB, since it tends to make very passive leads and you are more likely to get away with bidding 3NT with a suit unstopped, but still 3NT is not a sound action. 2D also leaves open playing 4S on a 5-3 or possibly a 5-2 fit.

To your other point, I have never liked rebidding 1NT as opener with a singleton in responder's suit. But with GIB, the auction 1m-1S-2m-2H is also game forcing, which is NOT consistent with sound methods. You can easily miss a 4-4 or even 5-4 H fit by rebidding the minor. Solutions are either to rebid 1NT or to treat a strong 4 card H suit as a 5 carder and open 1H!

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-03, 14:27

View Postiandayre, on 2015-June-03, 14:11, said:

The correct responder rebid here is indeed 2D.
In which case the explanation attached to 2D needs correcting.

View Postiandayre, on 2015-June-03, 14:11, said:

To your other point, I have never liked rebidding 1NT as opener with a singleton in responder's suit.
Chacun a son gout.

I couldn't make a better case for the treatment than this:
http://tinyurl.com/ppfzwte

Mind you, I was weaned on weak 1N opener, where the dynamics of rebidding 1N with a singleton and values for strong 1N are a bit different.

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-04, 02:01

I gave the hand to advanced robots, and they bid it:

1c - 1s
2c - 2d
2n - 3c
3n AP

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-04, 02:07

Thanks d_e

It might save some wasted bandwidth in the forums if minions such as I had the facility to replicate that test.

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-04, 02:21

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-June-04, 02:07, said:

Thanks d_e

It might save some wasted bandwidth in the forums if minions such as I had the facility to replicate that test.

I didn't use any magic tools for this. Just entered the cards in Hand Editor, opened a teaching table and loaded the hand there with adv robots as N/S. However it's better to ask "what wd GIB do" here, and have me run the test, than spend $1 from your own pocket just to see what happens if a robot takes your seat :)

#10 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 13:05

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-June-03, 14:27, said:

In which case the explanation attached to 2D needs correcting.Chacun a son gout.

I couldn't make a better case for the treatment than this:
https://www.youtube....h?v=LFBoNgdDmPg

Mind you, I was weaned on weak 1N opener, where the dynamics of rebidding 1N with a singleton and values for strong 1N are a bit different.

I'm sorry your son Chacun has gout, but what does it have to do with bridge??

Seriously, my wife speaks French, I'll have to ask her to translate. I tried the link but it didn't work.

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-June-10, 17:01

@ian

sorry for delay. Chacun a son gout, translation:
http://tinyurl.com/pndh7mh

And I have fixed the other link by editing the original post #6 in this thread.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users