• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FIFA

#141 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-07, 03:58

Okay. Not that I like the idea much, but FIFA is a corporation. Corporations exist with the permission of governments. So all that has to be done is to convince the (probably corrupt) government(s) that give FIFA permission to exist to withdraw those permissions.

From their website: "an association governed by Swiss law". Switzerland may be less corrupt than most, I don't know.

Two hundred nine "member associations". How many of them are corrupt also? Now it gets harder. :unsure: :ph34r:
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#142 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 05:36

The problem is that it doesn't take much money in cosmic terms to buy the football association of some obscure small country, at than point I have as much voting power in FIFA as Germany, but I'm a lot cheaper to buy, so I get lots of bribes and get fabulously wealthy.

#143 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-07, 09:57

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-07, 05:36, said:

The problem is that it doesn't take much money in cosmic terms to buy the football association of some obscure small country, at than point I have as much voting power in FIFA as Germany, but I'm a lot cheaper to buy, so I get lots of bribes and get fabulously wealthy.

Wow. That sounds like the U.S.A. business model.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#144 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-June-07, 10:15

View PostWinstonm, on 2015-June-07, 09:57, said:

Wow. That sounds like the U.S.A. business model.

Yes, I see a business opportunity here. And right now the prices may be down a bit. Let's get with it.
Ken

#145 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:14

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-07, 03:58, said:

but FIFA is a corporation

FIFA is a not-for-profit organization.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#146 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:35

Wouldn't it be a major legal mess to take the WC away from Russia and Qatar? Wouldn't it be more feasible for UEFA and CONMEBOL to arange and alternative WC between them and then stay away from the FIFA WC? Just let FIFA die a natural death and build up a new organization to replace it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#147 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-06, 17:10, said:

FIFA, the organization, is not the problem here. Organizations aren't corrupt. People are corrupt. Get rid of the corrupt people (which may be all of them) and FIFA will be fine.

There is a lot of money in FIFA involved ( other world sport federations are financially light years away)

There are 207 members with equal rights = one federation, one vote

FIFA will be fine only if yellow and orange will dominate this world map of Transparency International. Maybe in the year 2068 or so...

http://www.google.de...xcBioLqXNr4bm0Q
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#148 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:40

View Postmike777, on 2015-May-31, 22:23, said:

Clearly there is one simple way to reduce corruption in international soccer.

Ban international soccer.

It will not rid corruption but it will reduce it.

I actually do not have problem with FIFA being terminated. I have problem with the above comment.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#149 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-07, 12:15

View PostAberlour10, on 2015-June-07, 11:36, said:

There is a lot of money in FIFA involved ( other world sport federations are financially light years away)

There are 207 members with equal rights = one federation, one vote

FIFA will be fine only if yellow and orange will dominate this world map of Transparency International. Maybe in the year 2068 or so...

http://www.google.de...Aw&ved=0CAkQ8wc

www.google.de/url?source=imgres&ct=tbn&q=http://www.thelocal.no/userdata/images/article/ee42f418a4ea1508e5a991b5213c7a7a455454d695496ebf41881063c0ce63a6.jpg&sa=X&ei=6Ih0VZ2UIcOksAGL1byYDA&ved=0CAUQ8wc4Fg&usg=AFQjCNEwaDM4ACkjVTdxcBioLqXNr4bm0Q

I'd say there's a pretty good correlation between the red areas and federations that vote for Blatter ...

#150 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-07, 12:19

View Postcherdano, on 2015-June-07, 11:14, said:

FIFA is a not-for-profit organization.

I said it was a corporation. I said that as a lead in to the fact that governments regulate corporations. "not-for-profit" is irrelevant to that.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#151 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-07, 19:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-07, 03:58, said:

From their website: "an association governed by Swiss law". Switzerland may be less corrupt than most, I don't know.

So someone needs to find a Swiss law that has been broken. And it has to be a law for which the punishment is dissolution of the corporation, not merely a fine. I suspect it's unlikely.

#152 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-June-07, 22:20

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-07, 19:24, said:

So someone needs to find a Swiss law that has been broken. And it has to be a law for which the punishment is dissolution of the corporation, not merely a fine. I suspect it's unlikely.

agree 100%

dissolution would need to be driven by the customers or lack of customers. they provide the billions.

think of bbo if customers leave in mass.

Even a great bridge site may fail, if customers leave in mass for others.

#153 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-07, 23:23

It is not necessary that the corporation be dissolved by government action. If enough of the bad apples are removed from FIFA so that those who remain choose to dissolve the corporation, it can be done that way.

#154 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-08, 05:08

Cricinfo (cricket's premier site) having some fun at Blatter's expense http://www.espncrici...ory/884925.html

#155 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 15:21

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-07, 12:15, said:

I'd say there's a pretty good correlation between the red areas and federations that vote for Blatter ...

Sure.

But I was really surprised that France voted for Blatter. M. Platini seems not to have much influence in his "home" federation.

Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#156 User is offline   jjbrr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 10:35

This is from a year ago but it's great

Chances are, if you’re a woman and you’ve had much contact with the leadership of FIFA, you have a story to tell about sexism and soccer’s world governing body.

U.S. forward Abby Wambach tells one from the time she and her now-wife, Sarah Huffman, were backstage in a VIP room in January 2013 before the World Player of the Year awards gala in Zurich, Switzerland. “[FIFA president] Sepp Blatter came into our little area, and he walked straight up to Sarah and thought she was [Brazilian star] Marta,” says Wambach.

“Marta!” Blatter said, hugging a bewildered Huffman, who doesn't look much like Marta. “You are the best! The very best!”

“He had no idea who Marta was, and she’s won the award five times,” says Wambach. “For me, that’s just a slap in the face because it shows he doesn’t really care about the women’s game.”

OK
bed

#157 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 06:25

I see now that Blatter may not really be resigning. Just another ploy, apparently. While I did not predict this, I cannot say I am surprised.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#158 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2015-June-17, 06:59

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-07, 05:36, said:

This is not going to change. Perhaps 1/4 of teams are in contention to even make it to the world cup, the rest are small countries who have 75% of the vote. Why would they EVER agree on letting the big nations get more votes?
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#159 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-17, 08:00

View PostGerben42, on 2015-June-17, 06:59, said:

This is not going to change. Perhaps 1/4 of teams are in contention to even make it to the world cup, the rest are small countries who have 75% of the vote. Why would they EVER agree on letting the big nations get more votes?

Well TBF the IOC did kinda manage it.

It might take the big nations threatening to break away, the world cup would be worthless if only competed by African/Asian nations.

#160 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-June-17, 14:53

Another option is to let the countries sell their votes, I mean it is their vote to sell. If you want it that badly, if it has some real value, pay me.

If it the vote is not worth paying me for it, fair enough do not.

As Cyb points out some countries may just choose to leave or destroy FIFA and let it be replaced with something or ten somethings.

I think the concerns here are that paying for votes seems unfair/unjust and destroying FIFA creates uncertainty.

For example it may mean the next world cup is cancelled.

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users