Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Indifferent Gib treatment

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-25, 03:43

After 3,Gib E became indifferent to the suffering of partner suddently even with 4-card support.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-25, 09:51

Looks like East thinks his 13 total points do not justify bidding at the 3 level, when partner will have a chance to re-open the auction.

Funny, although the odds were against it... if East bids 3 over 3, you might end up going down in 4 instead of making 4.

And, how many diamonds do NS make if North bids 2N instead of 3 over 1? (Not that I'm endorsing that call...)

#3 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-25, 22:56

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-April-25, 09:51, said:

Looks like East thinks his 13 total points do not justify bidding at the 3 level, when partner will have a chance to re-open the auction.

First,it should let Gib know that "Support with support " is a important bidding rule.

As for you said :"... when partner will have a chance to re-open the auction.".

This bidding style is very very bad - Gib's passing got its partner into trouble of final guess.

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-26, 01:38

For all East knows, West could be 4-2-3-4 shape and 6 HCP, with no hope of getting close to making 3S, while opponents meanwhile are only in partscore.

Or West may have a game try and bid 4S over 3S in the expectation of East being stronger (strong enough for 3S to be not too costly opposite a 4-2-3-4, 6 count), only then to find that 3S was the last makeable spot, and one that would have been reachable if only East had left West to protect. Instead he has just converted a plus into a minus (and one that may be doubled).

"Support with support" is a great maxim, but not the only one. "Don't overbid your hand by 2 tricks" might be another. Sometimes these glib soundbites conflict in their recommendation.

I am not saying that 3S by East is a bad bid. I do say that it is closer than you make out and does not come with guarantees. I feel that this hand ranks low in the priorities for fixing, if fix is indeed indicated.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-April-26, 06:35

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-26, 01:38, said:

For all East knows, West could be 4-2-3-4 shape and 6 HCP, with no hope of getting close to making 3S, while opponents meanwhile are only in partscore.

This is a specious comments.
1- 3 have shown 7+,if I really held 4-card ,how distributions are there between south and east ? How many probobility?and keep silent?
2- If I really don't make 3,it will prove that final contract should belong to opponents,for us,this is not a bad ending.
3- I think you would know raising 3 is common sense,merely.Orelse passing is joking.
Would you please learn the knowledge of modern bridge game.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-26, 07:32

No need to resort to ad hominem insults. Not that they bother me particularly. I do well enough not to be bothered by your opinion of my knowledge of the modern bridge game.

The 4-2-3-4 6 count was the worst case scenario. I did not say that it was a particularly likely hand. But then the gulf between that hand and one that makes 3S by East safe is huge.

To my mind the greater risk is of West not leaving it there, when leaving it would be right. A point that you have been at pains to ignore presumably because it cannot be denied.

If you read my post you will note that I accept that 3S may be the right call, for all the possible downsides. I pointed out the downsides only to illustrate that in terms of GIB bugs this does not in my view rank among the more outrageous.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 11:30

I agree with East's pass over 3C here. You effectively have a 10 count with no extra shape. I'm more concerned about the 3C bid, is that hand not rather strong for it?
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-26, 11:48

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-26, 11:30, said:

I'm more concerned about the 3C bid, is that hand not rather strong for it?
Indeed, if you are going to walk the dog, you don't sell out to 4H. Not that GIB knows about dog-walking.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users