• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Find the Lady Pick up a Pint

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 04:49

Teams. Opening Lead J. Table result 6S-1.

The above hand caused some acrimony at a North London club this week. North was a bit light for his Bergen raise - apparently he thought that 3D was stronger than 3C, although the CC had the methods as described correctly by SB, South. West led the jack of diamonds won by South who thought for 30 seconds or so before leading the jack of spades. West, who had just picked up his pint, had a quick gulp and then put it down and played low. SB ran it and East won and cashed the ace of clubs, and declarer claimed one off, at the same time calling the TD. "There was a noticeable break in tempo from West when I led the jack of spades", he averred, and quoted part of 73D1:

<snip>players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side.<snip>

He continued: "West broke tempo with a singleton and could have been aware that his act of picking up his pint of beer would cause a BIT in a situation where particular care was needed".

West thought that SB had waited until he started to pick up his beer before employing his latest "Find the Lady" ruse, and he thought that SB drew the inference at his peril. SB resented this accusation, and claimed that he took the normal amount of time to plan the play. How do you rule?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:20

Isn't declarer meant to plan the play before calling for a card from dummy at trick one?

ahydra

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:26

View Postahydra, on 2015-April-02, 05:20, said:

Isn't declarer meant to plan the play before calling for a card from dummy at trick one?

Under which Law?

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:26

The pint was already in West's hand when the spade was led? Unless West has 3 arms, he is never going to play in tempo here. Maybe the SB needs to learn the last part of 73D1.

"Otherwise, unintentionally to vary the tempo or manner in which a call or play is made is not in itself an infraction. Inferences from such variation may appropriately be drawn only by an opponent, and at his own risk"

So unless the SB can prove West picked up the pint to hide a BIT and that he didn't need refreshed, result stands, and I'm tempted to impose some sort of penalty to the SB under L74B5.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:30

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-02, 05:26, said:

The pint was already in West's hand when the spade was led? Unless West has 3 arms, he is never going to play in tempo here. Maybe the SB needs to learn the last part of 73D1.

"Otherwise, unintentionally to vary the tempo or manner in which a call or play is made is not in itself an infraction. Inferences from such variation may appropriately be drawn only by an opponent, and at his own risk"

So unless the SB can prove West picked up the pint to hide a BIT and that he didn't need refreshed, result stands, and I'm tempted to impose some sort of penalty to the SB under L74B5.

"Otherwise" refers to "when variations may work to the benefit of their side", not "when a drink is being taken from a pint of beer", therefore the last part of 73D1 does not apply here, as clearly a variation in this situation can work to the benefit of his side. And SB has already learnt the whole of that Law, and takes issue with your suggestion that his learning of the Laws is somehow incomplete.

There is no obligation on SB to show that West picked up the beer to hide a BIT, only for a TD to decide that he "could have been aware" that West's infraction could benefit his side.

#6 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-April-02, 05:47

I cannot see how West can know what SB's normal time of thinking is - SB presumably thinks all the time he is playing (note to TD - watch his declarer play surreptitiously over the rest of the evening), however West cannot be expected to know how long this time is going to be since he plays against SB only 4% of the time. Very few players are noted for the speed/ lack of in playing to the first trick.

In appeals cases, time when the players have been distracted e.g. by having kibitzers removed has been held as not thinking time and thus not contributory to a BIT. West seems to have acted in tempo when this lead was made.

Of course if West had looked at the opening lead, had a long sip of beer, humming and harring before playing a card then I would have more sympathy for SB.

Interestingly, I find that with many players a fast card is usually indicative of holding the Queen as they try and play too quickly to avoid giving away the position. (Obviously I do this at my own risk - and just emphasises the importance of playing in tempo,)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#7 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-02, 06:02

I don't think 73D1 applies.

Everyone at the table can see that the BIT is caused by the drink, not by anything else, and so given this cannot confuse declarer, it can't work to the benefit of the OS.

#8 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 06:20

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 05:30, said:

"Otherwise" refers to "when variations may work to the benefit of their side", not "when a drink is being taken from a pint of beer", therefore the last part of 73D1 does not apply here, as clearly a variation in this situation can work to the benefit of his side. And SB has already learnt the whole of that Law, and takes issue with your suggestion that his learning of the Laws is somehow incomplete.

There is no obligation on SB to show that West picked up the beer to hide a BIT, only that he "could have been aware" that his infraction would benefit his side.

The laws don't mention how long you have to wait before you can take a drink if needed (the laws don't ever say you can't). I believe the spirit of the law was that it would only apply if there weren't any circumstances that would physically impede the ability to play in tempo. If we remove the pint and say West had a disability and needed about 10 seconds to find the singleton spade and play it and we got the same director call, we would surely rule result stands here, right?

If we say that he can't pick the pint up to refresh himself, where do we draw the line before he can do so? It looks like he waited 25-30 seconds here before he picked up the pint. What if it had been 45 seconds? 1 minute? 2 minutes?

In fact, I rather suspect that if West had Qxx and was a SB, we may well have seen a TD call if the contract had been made for pulling off a sominex coup.
Wayne Somerville

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 06:31

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 05:26, said:

Under which Law?

Not a Law in the strict sense, but WB 8.73.2.1 states

"A pause by declarer before playing from dummy at trick one[...] is recommended practice."

ahydra

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 07:10

Would West break tempo with Qx here? Seem like it requires NS to play 4-card majors and South electing the play of J from AJ65, AJ63 or AJ53.

Now suppose W had deliberately reached for his beer in order to jam the signal for the SB, would the SB have a case, then?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 07:13

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-02, 06:20, said:

The laws don't mention how long you have to wait before you can take a drink if needed (the laws don't ever say you can't). I believe the spirit of the law was that it would only apply if there weren't any circumstances that would physically impede the ability to play in tempo. If we remove the pint and say West had a disability and needed about 10 seconds to find the singleton spade and play it and we got the same director call, we would surely rule result stands here, right?

I agree entirely if West had a disability, but then his normal tempo would be variable. It is pretty obvious that declarer has a trump guess when he does not draw trumps immediately at trick two, so an unscrupulous West could pick up his drink without the queen of spades and not do so with the queen of spades. If we thought that were the case, we would surely rule result stands here, right?

#12 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 07:17

View Postahydra, on 2015-April-02, 06:31, said:

Not a Law in the strict sense, but WB 8.73.2.1 states

"A pause by declarer before playing from dummy at trick one[...] is recommended practice."

ahydra

There is no obligation on anyone to read the White Book.

#13 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 08:03

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-02, 07:10, said:

Would West break tempo with Qx here? Seem like it requires NS to play 4-card majors and South electing the play of J from AJ65, AJ63 or AJ53.

Running the jack would be the standard safety play with AJ9xx opposite K87x if he did not have a loser outside trumps; it does not matter of course what you play then with Qx as West, although covering is worse as declarer may have the 10 and be intending to rise. The other possible layout is J9xxx opposite K87x with no loser outside trumps. This time ducking with Qx is potentially fatal.

The correct game-theory strategy for the defender is not to pick up the pint and decide in advance what you are going to do with Qx, and to pick up the pint and create a BIT with a singleton or low doubleton. I suspect that a mixed strategy is optimal, where the skilled defender picks up the pint a different percentage of the time with different holdings.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:00

I would simply rule that taking time to put down his drink does not constitute a BIT in the first place. If the player frequently drinks while playing, the time required to put down the drink so you can play a card is part of normal tempo, IMO.

SB is being even more ridiculous than he usually is.

#15 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:18

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-02, 10:00, said:

I would simply rule that taking time to put down his drink does not constitute a BIT in the first place. If the player frequently drinks while playing, the time required to put down the drink so you can play a card is part of normal tempo, IMO.

Please fix forum so I can rep your post.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#16 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:38

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 04:49, said:

Teams. Opening Lead J. Table result 6S-1. The above hand caused some acrimony at a North London club this week. North was a bit light for his Bergen raise - apparently he thought that 3D was stronger than 3C, although the CC had the methods as described correctly by SB, South. West led the jack of diamonds won by South who thought for 30 seconds or so, before leading the jack of spades. West, who had just picked up his pint, had a quick gulp and then put it down and played low. SB ran it and East won and cashed the ace of clubs, and declarer claimed one off, at the same time calling the TD. "There was a noticeable break in tempo from West when I led the jack of spades", he averred, and quoted part of 73D1: players should be particularly careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side. He continued: "West broke tempo with a singleton and could have been aware that his act of picking up his pint of beer would cause a BIT in a situation where particular care was needed". West thought that SB had waited until he started to pick up his beer before employing his latest "Find the Lady" ruse, and he thought that SB drew the inference at his peril. SB resented this accusation, and claimed that he took the normal amount of time to plan the play. How do you rule?
Normal tempo is different for you when holding a glass; just as it would be if you placed your hand face-down on the table whenever an opponent tanked. Arguably, at trick two, declarer might have known that by waiting for LHO to take a sip from his drink before leading, he could disconcent his LHO and elicit a "tell", Probably irrelevant to any ruling but, when RHO has A (as here), declarer may need to ruff twice in dummy, so SB's early trump-play seems peculiar.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:51

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-02, 10:00, said:

SB stated to the TD that neither opponent normally took a drink during the play of the hand except when they were dummy, or between hands before taking their cards out of the wallet, so this BIT was a deviation from normal tempo.

I observed the number of times people took a sip as defender last night, and over 25 boards, there were 30 "drink-hands", totalling 390 "drink-opportunities" defining a drink-hand as one defender with a drink for the duration of the play and a drink-opportunity as a card played by a defender having a drink in front of him. On no occasion did I see a defender stop to take a drink during the play, although there were no breaks by declarer or a defender of as long as 30 seconds. It is normal when you have a drink to consume it between hands not during them.

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-02, 10:56

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-02, 10:38, said:

Probably irrelevant to any ruling but, when RHO has A (as here), declarer may need to ruff twice in dummy, So SB's early trump-play seems peculiar.

Not really; he should play two rounds of trumps before ruffing two red cards, to reduce the chance of an over-ruff. He might well have got the trumps wrong anyway. Would you rule differently if SB had sat West with all the facts otherwise the same?

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 13:12

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 07:17, said:

There is no obligation on anyone to read the White Book.

Or to accept its recommendations.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-02, 13:16

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-02, 10:51, said:

On no occasion did I see a defender stop to take a drink during the play, although there were no breaks by declarer or a defender of as long as 30 seconds.

That is a sad indictment of the modern game.

It is normal when you have a drink to consume it between hands not during them.

Nonsense. It is normal when you have a drink to consume it at the table and use the breaks between hands to replenish it.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users