BBO Discussion Forums: To Bid or Not to Bid and was my meaning correct? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To Bid or Not to Bid and was my meaning correct?

Poll: To Bid or Not to Bid and was my meaning correct? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

None Vul 1H-(P)-? What should you bid holding holding SAJxxx Hxx Dxxxx Cxx?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 1S (23 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. 1N (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

5. other? (0 votes [0.00%])

Say responder passed over 1H and now has come back in with a double over a balancing 2C. What should opener expect that to mean? 1H-(P)-P-(2C); P-(P)-X

1. Penalty (Long clubs) (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Negative (4-4+in S&D) (10 votes [43.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

3. Cooperative (1 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. other? (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

5. take out to other 3 suits (10 votes [43.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

Finally how should opener rebid holding SKxx HAQJxx DQx CKQx? 1H-(P)-P-(2C); P-(P)-X-(P); ?

1. Pass (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. 2D (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 2H (8 votes [34.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

4. 2S (7 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

5. 2N (6 votes [26.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

6. 3C (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 3N (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   P0STM0RTEM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Walsh Diamond;
    Rule of 20+2;
    Bergen or Hardy Raises;
    Kokish Game Tries;
    Xfer Lebensohl;
    Inverted Minors;
    Gambling 3N;
    Ogust;
    Mini Roman 2D;
    Puppet Stayman over 2N's;
    Modified 2-way, Bart & Meckstroth Adjuncts,
    Wolff Signoff;
    Preemptive Suit Fits Raises;
    Namyats;
    Controls over 2C opener;
    Kickback (RKCB 1430 if strong hand asks and 0314 if weak asks), Specific King Ask, Exclusion Blackwood, DEPO, and I try to cue bid controls more often instead;
    Grand Slam Force;
    Lightner Double;
    Negative and TakeOut Doubles;
    Meckwell, HELLO or DONT Over Ops 1N;
    Over 1C strong (or 1D strong) I like using DONT, Suction, or Mathe;
    UDCA.

Posted 2015-September-12, 01:50

Would very much appreciate any thoughts you might have on either the first or second or third Poll Question. Would vulnerability play a factor at all?
Obviously after 1-(P)-1-(2) opener can now double to show 3-card support, which maybe the answer to all my questions, but then again maybe not.
Thank you!

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-12, 02:45

The double in the pass out seat shows that you don't want to sell out to 2. It asks partner to pick one of the three suits. So, you typically have at least 4 spades, exactly 2 hearts (with 3 you would bid 2) and 4 diamonds and probably another spade of diamond. So, something like 4252 or 5242 with about 3-4 HCPs.

The 4252 is more likely than the 5242 since you would strive to show your spades with the 5242 hand.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-September-12, 08:02

No one on the forums would pass 1S.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#4 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 08:14

View PostPhil, on 2015-September-12, 08:02, said:

No one on the forums would pass 1S.

I suppose you mean: "No one on the firums would pass 1." i.e. everybody wouold bid 1 over 1. In that case, I think you are correct.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-12, 08:55

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-12, 08:14, said:

I suppose you mean: "No one on the forums in the world would pass 1." i.e. everybody would bid 1 over 1. In that case, I think you are correct.

Rik

FYP. This is why I voted "other", though I agree with your previous post.

To the OP: I would not pass the responding hand at any vulnerability or form of scoring, and sure you can play support doubles if you want, though this seems tangential to your questions, since it assumes that responder has bid.

EDIT: PS it is considered kind of rude to have such a long "interests" list.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 10:51

Passing instead of bidding 1 is an open invitation for the opponents to steal from you and/or get the wrong opening lead when they do buy the contract.

Opening 1 instead of 1nt and then being prepared to pass the rest of the way is the same, especially opposite a partner who can have this much and not bid either.

Might I suggest a glass or two of wine before the game?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 13:06

View PostVampyr, on 2015-September-12, 08:55, said:

FYP. This is why I voted "other", though I agree with your previous post.

I also voted "other", since to me it is important to note that the doubler will have a three suited take out: spades + diamonds + a doubleton heart.

Rik

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-12, 13:19

View Postggwhiz, on 2015-September-12, 10:51, said:

Opening 1 instead of 1nt and then being prepared to pass the rest of the way is the same, especially opposite a partner who can have this much and not bid either.

I don't have a problem with the 1 opening. I could open 1, evaluating it as an 18 point balanced hand, planning to rebid 2NT. Change the Q into a K and everybody would open 1. When the auction comes back P-P-2, I don't have anything to say anymore... but I wouldn't with the K either.

That 1HCP doesn't make the difference.

Rik

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-12, 14:29

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-12, 13:06, said:

I also voted "other", since to me it is important to note that the doubler will have a three suited take out: spades + diamonds + a doubleton heart.

True, he should have this. and should really have a singleton club to justify wanting to compete after not being able to respond to the opening bid, it seems to me... 4=2=6=1?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-September-13, 05:53

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-September-12, 13:06, said:

What is the difference between this and "take out to other 3 suits"? I agree with you as the basic meaning but think conversion is also on so that, for example, converting partner's 2 to 2 would show both pointed suits and remove the message of a doubleton heart.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   P0STM0RTEM 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Walsh Diamond;
    Rule of 20+2;
    Bergen or Hardy Raises;
    Kokish Game Tries;
    Xfer Lebensohl;
    Inverted Minors;
    Gambling 3N;
    Ogust;
    Mini Roman 2D;
    Puppet Stayman over 2N's;
    Modified 2-way, Bart & Meckstroth Adjuncts,
    Wolff Signoff;
    Preemptive Suit Fits Raises;
    Namyats;
    Controls over 2C opener;
    Kickback (RKCB 1430 if strong hand asks and 0314 if weak asks), Specific King Ask, Exclusion Blackwood, DEPO, and I try to cue bid controls more often instead;
    Grand Slam Force;
    Lightner Double;
    Negative and TakeOut Doubles;
    Meckwell, HELLO or DONT Over Ops 1N;
    Over 1C strong (or 1D strong) I like using DONT, Suction, or Mathe;
    UDCA.

Posted 2015-September-14, 01:52

Thank you everyone for your input.

#12 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-September-14, 01:59

In the future, please don't write the suits when giving your hand, it is very confusing.

AJxxx xx xxxx xx is unambiguously

AJxxx
xx
xxxx
xx

Yes I think 1 is obvious, then I agree with X from passout seat, and I'm not sure what I'd do as opener over the X. Perhaps pass?

PS agree with Vampyr about the long interest section. sorry for being critical but it looks pretty bad.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#13 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:03

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-13, 05:53, said:

What is the difference between this and "take out to other 3 suits"?

Nothing... except that, at the time I voted, "other" was the last option and "take out to other 3 suits" was not an option. This option only came after Vampyr and I brought up that heart tolerance is needed.

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-September-13, 05:53, said:

I agree with you as the basic meaning but think conversion is also on so that, for example, converting partner's 2 to 2 would show both pointed suits and remove the message of a doubleton heart.

And I agree with you that conversion should be possible (but then you will have considerably more than 4+4 in the pointed suits). I just thought it was more important to start with the three suited take out first, before starting to talk about conversion.

Rik

#14 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:06

View Postgwnn, on 2015-September-14, 01:59, said:

Yes I think 1 is obvious, then I agree with X from passout seat, and I'm not sure what I'd do as opener over the X. Perhaps pass?

You saw that the question was about reopening after first passing, right?

#15 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:08

View PostVampyr, on 2015-September-14, 10:06, said:

You saw that the question was about reopening after first passing, right?

Yes. It's just that I don't feel like bidding 2 or 2 and especially not 2NT. As I said, though, I'm not sure what's right. I can see that I'm in a minority of 1, so I might be off my rocker.
      George Carlin

#16 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-September-14, 10:12

View Postgwnn, on 2015-September-14, 10:08, said:

Yes. It's just that I don't feel like bidding 2 or 2 and especially not 2NT. As I said, though, I'm not sure what's right. I can see that I'm in a minority of 1, so I might be off my rocker.

No, I think it's more that you can imagine what to do after passing in the first round, while most people find it difficult to put themselves in that position.

#17 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-September-14, 12:32

Oh I mean I just thought what I'd do with a 5242 that is just under responding.
      George Carlin

#18 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-September-15, 03:31

Well as has been said already, I think it is clear to bid 1, although I might be persuaded to pass vulnerable at pairs, I'm not sure what our basic system is, as this hand is probably a borderline strong NT, so that might affect my decision. Double is undeniably takeout, just because you so rarely can make a penalty double. Bidding over partner's double is quite tough. I think at teams if the opponent's were vulnerable I would consider passing (I don't think -180 is the end of the world), but at other vulnerabilities and forms of scoring it's a bit more tough. I think I would bid 2, just because we are known to have at least a 7-card fit, whereas that may not be the case in hearts. Also, as partner is very weak their hand might not be able to provide many tricks unless trumps is their best suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users