BBO Discussion Forums: 2 Diamond overcall of 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

2 Diamond overcall of 1NT What does 2 Spade bid by overcaller's partner mean?

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-September-24, 16:35

Tonight (both sides playing Acol & Weak No Trump) I had this hand:

I bid 2 spades which went three off. I could not get across often enough to establish partner's diamonds. Partner said I should always trust partner and pass his weak takeout. Is he right? No matter how much I think about it my instinct tells me it was a good bid that went wrong on the night. Are there any circumstances when you can take out partner's takeout of 1NT.

Partner had AQJ982, Q8 and nothing else, though I can't remember his exact holding in the other suits). West had KT54.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-September-24, 16:40

2 is forcing in my book, otherwise how do you bid an 12 count with 5 spades ?

** edited text out as the OP has been fixed **

My only question is how did you go 3 off ? you appear to have 8 obvious tricks in spades.

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-September-24, 16:53

I think you were absolutely right to bid 2s, partner can have a lot of very boring hands where 4s is easy so passing 2d would be a huge mistake and your partner is resulting. If you are playing say landy and 2d/2h/2s natural over a no trump then (1n) 2d should show a good hand as it has very little pre-emptive value
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 16:56

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-September-24, 16:40, said:

2 is forcing in my book, otherwise how do you bid an 12 count with 5 spades ?

A weak takeout is bid OPPOSITE a weak NT not as an overcall as in this case where it should be a better hand.

Oops! Got my terminology wrong. Thanks for that.

#5 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-24, 17:04

View Posteagles123, on 2015-September-24, 16:53, said:

I think you were absolutely right to bid 2s, partner can have a lot of very boring hands where 4s is easy so passing 2d would be a huge mistake and your partner is resulting. If you are playing say landy and 2d/2h/2s natural over a no trump then (1n) 2d should show a good hand as it has very little pre-emptive value

We play landy.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 00:19

Doesn't seem to me that the prospects in 2D are any better than 2S.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 01:17

2s is fine. your partner is a results merchant.

#8 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 03:56

Apologies everyone who has relpied. It was late last night when I did the OP. My spades were not quite as strong as I showed as we could not have gone 3 off with six solid spades. The hand was:

My partner had just five diamonds (AQJT5), not six as I posted, but that shouldn't affect my decision as his overcall showed 5+ diamonds. I estimated that with seven spades in the other three hands it was reasonable to assume partner would have 1.5 spades giving an 7.5 card spade fit and reasonable to assume that partner had 5.5 diamonds giving a 6.5 card diamond fit.
I hadn't thought of the points Cyberyeti made that my bid should be reserved to show 12+ HCP and 5+ spades as otherwise there is no way of showing such holding.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 04:14

I think your diagram is wrong. It indicates that tesponder bid 2s but I suppose respinder passed and ovrtcallers p bid 2s?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 04:18

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-25, 04:14, said:

I think your diagram is wrong. It indicates that tesponder bid 2s but I suppose respinder passed and ovrtcallers p bid 2s?

Still suffering from a late night, Helene!

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 04:21

At least your typing is better than mine :)
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 04:25

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-September-25, 04:21, said:

At least your typing is better than mine :)

:rolleyes:
The hand is now corrected. I was hoping you would look in this morning!

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 05:30

Regardless of the diminished quality of your Spade suit, if partner has only 5 x diamonds it seems even more likely that 2S is an improvement over 2D, however many down 2S goes.

Personally I tend to frown on natural overcalls over 1N that are based on just a 5 card suit. I don't mind 5 card suit overcalls where part of a systemic way of showing a two-suiter.

Personally my style with your actual hand would be to pass 2D (although I would expect a 6th Diamond as mentioned above, which would make passing more reasonable). Mainly because I think that 2S should show a more constructive hand type. But as the cards lie, and especially given that your partner chose to pass 2S, I would say that you made a good decision (a good decision being one that works out well).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 05:49

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-September-25, 03:56, said:

I hadn't thought of the points Cyberyeti made that my bid should be reserved to show 12+ HCP and 5+ spades as otherwise there is no way of showing such holding.

It doesn't really show 12+, that was an example, but it shows a hand that might make game opposite a hand that isn't good enough to double 1N.

#15 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:20

It might seem counterintuitive, but against weak NTs you really need to be a little stronger to overcall than you do to overcall a strong NT hand.

If your partner had just AQJxx and Qx for values, then your partner overbid the hand. By my reckoning, your partner had to have at least an 8 loser hand and probably 9 losers if there's no secondary 4 card suit.

The reason you have to be a little stronger to overcall weak NTs is that with the reduced opening NT range, responder can have a much stronger hand. That stronger responding hand sits behind the overcaller's hand and thus has some added value in defending. With the defenders points more evenly distributed, the defense is often easier to execute because it isn't being conducted primarily out of one hand.

It occurs to me that you might think of overcalling weak NTs in this way. Consider that opener had made an unspecified minimum 1 level suit opener that forces you to overcall at the two level. Is your hand good enough to make that overcall? If not, don't make it.

I'd be surprised if many people would overcall 1 of a suit bid at the two level with AQJxx Qx and out.

One final thought -- having played weak NTs for 40+ years, I've seen innumerable good results penalty doubling people who make iffy overcalls. If you come in, you'll need to have values -- either HCP or distribution/playing tricks that protect some from big sets.

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-September-25, 12:33

Your PD's o/c was very light, but how on earth can you go -3 in 2?

#17 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 14:15

I think both the overcall and your advance was fine, and you were unlucky
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#18 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 15:19

View Postneilkaz, on 2015-September-25, 12:33, said:

You are right. It must have been 2 off. It was I was reeling a bit at the end of the game - after it had gone so wrong and partner was asking why I had bid. It took a few more hands to regain my composure. I just made five spades and Ace.

#19 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-September-25, 15:41

View Postneilkaz, on 2015-September-25, 12:33, said:

You are right. It must have been 2 off. It was I was reeling a bit at the end of the game - after it had gone so wrong and partner was asking why I had bid. It took a few more hands to regain my composure. I just made five spades and Ace.

#20 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-September-26, 11:55

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-September-25, 15:41, said:

How did you not take 6 (get over ruffed at some point)?

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users