BBO Discussion Forums: Which is stronger after Gib's responsive double - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which is stronger after Gib's responsive double

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 03:05

Hand-A

3 says " 3+,3+,4+,11-hcp,8-12TPs "

Hand-B

3 says " Free bid,new suit --- 4+,6-10TPs".

On the contrary,I think directly bid 3 after takeout in the hand-B is stronger than bid 3 after responsive double at first in the hand-A .
I think directly bid 3 after takeout implies invitation,but bid 3 after responsive double is sign off.
Is it correct?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 10:49

View Postlycier, on 2015-March-10, 03:05, said:

On the contrary,I think directly bid 3 after takeout in the hand-B is stronger than bid 3 after responsive double at first in the hand-A .
I think directly bid 3 after takeout implies invitation,but bid 3 after responsive double is sign off.
Is it correct?

No. The issue is that the responsive double on hand (A) has bizarre meaning for GIB. You don't make responsive doubles to show 4+ in one suit and 3+ in two others; responsive doubles show two suits and request partner to choose. Responsive double here shouldn't show hearts at all; in this position it traditionally shows both minors; 4+c, 4+d, 3-H, and maybe 8+ TP. With hearts, if you are strong enough, you just bid them. With advanced agreements, some people use 2nt in this position to show hearts and another suit, to cater to partner's takeout doubles on 3 hearts only. 2nt then 3 if partner doesn't bid them would show 5+ hearts and just below the strength required to just jump to 4 initially. Double then hearts really wouldn't exist.

My preference with a hand so weak as East is to just pass and see if partner can double again then bid hearts. It's only a 4333 6 count with 2 points in jacks, it's too aggressive and hard for partner to know when to raise 3 if 3 can be so weak. 3 directly should be something like 8-11 total points IMO.

Also IMO West should just overcall diamonds; the "big one suited hand" double should have more HCP, not just 16. At least a Q stronger IMO. And if East makes a responsive double showing minors it has to jump to 4 or something to show the big hand not just bid 3 which should be limited.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users