Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

About Gib's Drury

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-March-10, 01:42

I think there are two problems in this hand.

1- The explanations of 3 are not accurate.
Now that 3 says "Limited raise or better in ", its explanations are not like the original of 1,it should show non-minimum strength --- 14+hcp+,16+TPs.

2- There are some differences between 2 and 3,but Gib's respond are not same.

Hand-A

Hand-B

Now we can find that Gib's respond are not same after same 3.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-10, 18:50

The first hand looks like something that wasn't quite cleaned up after installing Drury. 3 is a cuebid of opponent's suit, so it should show more than a minimum hand. Since North can invite game by bidding 3 and can simply jump to game with a somewhat stronger hand opposite partner's limit raise in spades, 3 must be showing slam interest, which is consistent with this North hand. The explanation is bad, not the bid. I don't like the explanation of 3 in that auction, since it is exactly the same as the description of 2, and South should be somehow limiting his possible holdings with each subsequent bid.

Humans, not GIB, chose to bid 3 directly over 1, just as they would have done it they had not been playing Drury (or had forgotten that they were). I don't know what the modern treatment of 1-3 is: should it be somehow preemptive, or is it better to use it to show a 4-card limit raise (and complete confidence in playing at the 3 level)?

I presume that the difference in North's responses to 3 can be attributed to these two humans playing in the MBC with different (basic) bots. This is to be expected on close calls.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-March-12, 05:36

Modern 2/1 approach:
1 --- 3 = preemptive raise with 0-6hcp and 4+card support.

If play Drury to show limited rase,it is unnecessary to play 1 --- 3 as limited raise.
Here Gib jump new suit is to play mixed raise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users