BBO Discussion Forums: I thought this was supposed to have been fixed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I thought this was supposed to have been fixed

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-21, 09:12

55% rebate gib 32

1 off redoubled not enough?

Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-21, 09:50

Noooo... What was fixed is that GIB will lead its Ace if it has one, not play its Ace when led to B-)

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-21, 14:46

Another thing that needs to be fixed - after the 3S jump, 4NT should be BW for Spades. Mind you it was this player's own fault for not checking the description. Too bad he was rewarded for it instead.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-21, 16:30

View Postiandayre, on 2015-February-21, 14:46, said:

Another thing that needs to be fixed - after the 3S jump, 4NT should be BW for Spades. Mind you it was this player's own fault for not checking the description. Too bad he was rewarded for it instead.

South wants to ask RKC(D): the cards he's interested in are A, K and A. He had a brain cramp after asking the question, but he asked the right question.

#5 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-21, 17:09

Dummy GIB told me about this hand. He was relieved you didn't unblock !DQ under the A - he was very worried about how much a beer claim in 7N XX making would cost.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-22, 02:55

View Postcherdano, on 2015-February-21, 17:09, said:

Dummy GIB told me about this hand. He was relieved you didn't unblock !DQ under the A - he was very worried about how much a beer claim in 7N XX making would cost.
This was my only human adversary in the competition. I settled in a sensible 6N+1 on the same defence. I cashed A at trick 2 and claimed 13, expecting at least to halve the board.

Not quite so ridiculous to duck at my table, but still pretty bad, especially at MP.

May I add, what a complete waste of time and resources it was to program GIB to lead an Ace against 7N, when half the time it is his partner with the Ace? It betrays to my mind a lack of understanding why it is so bad, which is that (at least at MP scoring) GIB's philosophy seems to be simply to maximise its expected number of tricks without placing any premium on the value of defeating the contract. It is a policy that might have some legs at lower levels, but not at the 7 level, and not where they have bid the contract to make. If instead of wasting time hard coding it to lead an Ace they instead coded it to beat the contract regardless of later consequences for number of undertricks, and only then revert to the policy of maximising undertricks, then this might not happen.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-22, 17:45

I wonder if GIB has trouble generating hands for South? It seems like on the auction it's easy to construct lots of hands where south has KC, 3 diamonds, 6-7 spades 2 hearts would be 13. So I think they have to get into the hand dealing algorithm so it becomes more obvious that taking the ace is critical.

I wonder also if East should be doubling 7nt. How will his partner know to lead clubs?

#8 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-22, 19:10

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-February-21, 16:30, said:

South wants to ask RKC(D): the cards he's interested in are A, K and A. He had a brain cramp after asking the question, but he asked the right question.

I suspect not, I think he just didn't look at the description and thought 4NT was RKC for S, or straight BW.

But that's not the point. Don't you think it SHOULD be for Spades? If you find all the Aces you can then ask for Kings.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users