• You cannot reply to this topic

Student material

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2015-February-21, 11:22

MATCHPOINTS

Opening lead club Queen by an honest citizen.

Simple hand yet 8 out of 11 souths won 11 (or fewer) tricks (NOT A HIGH QUALITY GAME). I think there is a theme that might have helped them, but maybe not, and even a second line when the wheels fall off if you miss the first one. I am certain forum members will always win 12 tricks on the actual layout, and might win all 13. Is there a theme here?
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-21, 13:22

The theme is "IMPs is so much easier", thinking about the best MP line is making my head hurt.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-February-23, 07:14

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-21, 13:22, said:

The theme is "IMPs is so much easier", thinking about the best MP line is making my head hurt.

Is there a big difference between a 29hcp slam in a poor MP field and IMPs? It is still bridge and going plus occasionally has its advantages.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   BillPatch 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:income taxes, american history, energy

Posted 2015-February-23, 07:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-February-23, 07:14, said:

Is there a big difference between a 29hcp slam in a poor MP field and IMPs? It is still bridge and going plus occasionally has its advantages.

I agree for this problem. Still it is not an easy IMPs problem. My head still hurts. As to MPs being Bridge, I like this quote from Bridge World, "Interesting game, matchpoints. Sometimes it is almost like bridge."

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-23, 08:58

If there is a theme, maybe it is something like, after cashing two top spades and seeing the queen drop doubleton, don't play another trump until you have tested hearts?

EDIT: but surely the J10 of diamonds are an illusion, so maybe this is the theme? On the other hand the hand seems to be cold whenever trumps are 3-2, so they must be 4-1 and I am not certain what to do now.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-February-23, 12:49

I was too embarrassed to reply that I found this hand too difficult, but I will suck it up and say so now.

I am tempted to finesse spades in both directions, but I guess we're told that they're weak so that's unnecessary
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-February-23, 18:57

Inquiry writes "MATCHPOINTSOpening lead club Queen by an honest citizen.Simple hand yet 8 out of 11 souths won 11 (or fewer) tricks (NOT A HIGH QUALITY GAME). I think there is a theme that might have helped them, but maybe not, and even a second line when the wheels fall off if you miss the first one. I am certain forum members will always win 12 tricks on the actual layout, and might win all 13. Is there a theme here?"

Spoiler

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-February-23, 19:34

View PostVampyr, on 2015-February-23, 08:58, said:

EDIT: but surely the J10 of diamonds are an illusion, so maybe this is the theme? On the other hand the hand seems to be cold whenever trumps are 3-2, so they must be 4-1 and I am not certain what to do now.

Illusion? Oh dear, and here I was planning to fall back on a ruffing finesse in case of a bad diamond break.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-23, 22:03

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-February-23, 19:34, said:

Illusion? Oh dear, and here I was planning to fall back on a ruffing finesse in case of a bad diamond break.

Wel, my first answer was kind of hopeless...if the trump queen comes down in two I think that you just play another trump and then diamonds from the top. If it doesn't come down I think you have to start by playing on hearts, as that will be the best way you can combine your chances and avoid a red-suit loser.

I think that ruffing diamonds twice will be better than taking a ruffing finesse, but of course after A,K, ruff (or earlier of course) the diamond layout will be known.

Nigel, I think you are being a bit optimistic... you do seem able to handle 4-1 trumps if the red suits behave, but you lose other chances.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-February-23, 22:11

Ah, so maybe the theme is don't rely on two suits (reds) to be friendly when you can rely on just one (trumps).

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-February-24, 03:24

Or maybe the theme is how to lose only one trick with a trump suit of 8 opposite J with Qx on your right. It seems to me we have 4 spades, 5 hearts and 3 minor suit tricks on most layouts plus the ability to recover sometimes when the 5 heart tricks are not there. But card play is not so much my thing so perhaps this is all just a mirage. No doubt Rainer wil reveal the 100% line in due course. ;)

#12 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-24, 04:19

I must be being a bit thick, since I take the same line at IMPs or MPs.

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-February-24, 04:36

View PostVampyr, on 2015-February-23, 22:03, said:

Nigel, I think you are being a bit optimistic... you do seem able to handle 4-1 trumps if the red suits behave, but you lose other chances.
https://www.youtube....h?v=NeyrDFEqhm8 If the red-suits behave, you are OK when trumps are 5-0 :) If RHO ruffs the 3rd , you can over-ruff, ruff a and (over-ruff) the next heart. If a top is ruffed or a is ruffed offside, then you can often still recover, with the right views.

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-February-24, 05:39

View Postnige1, on 2015-February-24, 04:36, said:

If RHO ruffs the 3rd , you can over-ruff, ruff a and (over-ruff) the next heart. If a top is ruffed or a is ruffed offside, then you can often still recover, with the right views.

Have you looked at ruffing the second heart yet? You can avoid a lot of these complications that way...

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-February-24, 07:37

rubbish deleted

#16 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-February-24, 08:44

Cash two top spades.

If both defenders follow, but the queen doesn't drop, you have an easy 12 tricks.
(Cash your top tricks and then cross ruff)

If both defenders follow and the queen drops, draw the last trump hoping for a red suit discard.
you should be able to set up a red suit for 13.

If you get a 4-1 break, play a third round of trump. If this gets ducked, test hearts and then hook a diamond
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users