BBO Discussion Forums: Really not sure how many key cards Gib have - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Really not sure how many key cards Gib have

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-11, 02:11

According to my feeling and experiences in the past after 4,it is possible for us to get slam contract,so I bid 4nt,Gib's answer is 5 with zero/three key cards.
Now I feel very miserable : I am not sure how many cards Gib S have.

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-11, 02:29

lycier, on 2015-February-11, 02:11, said:

According to my feeling and experiences in the past after 4,it is possible for us to get slam contract,so I bid 4nt,Gib's answer is 5 with zero/three key cards.
Now I feel very miserable : I am not sure how many cards Gib S have.

You are right to feel miserable. There have been other threads in recent history making the same point. When in response to RKCB you show an ambiguous number of key cards you are forced to slam with the greater number.

In real life there might be an exception when it is impossible to hold the lesser number, say if 2C opener is responding to RKCB, but we should fix the main problem first.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-February-11, 10:04

About this point i have tried to bid 4NT also without Aces (in an hand i have only Kings -perhaps three if i remember just) and two times i stopped bidding in a lower level to see when cards are on that was possibile a slam. Is it a question of probabilty if your (ambiguos) GIB partner had just the minimum pointing against major probabilty that had more points and than the keycards you need to set a slam. I suggest to try bidding slam on hypothesis of 3 keys. Probably once this you found will be not but you don't discourage and repet this process again stoppin' (for a reflection pause) only if negative cases become significative, bye.

#4 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-February-13, 07:12

Some versions ago it was added the automatically raise-correction by person who answered to 4NT.

So if GIB answered 5/5 and partner bids 5M as sign-off, GIB used to correct to 6M showing 3/4 KC.

Since v32 ( current now ), GIB does it only over 1/4 possibility.

Here actually it's little more easier for South to reveal as GIB bid game over INV, showing 14+TP.

Apparently it couldn't be with 0 key cards based on South's hand and having in mind the overcall and probable clubs values.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-13, 07:31

georgi, on 2015-February-13, 07:12, said:

Some versions ago it was added the automatically raise-correction by person who answered to 4NT.

So if GIB answered 5/5 and partner bids 5M as sign-off, GIB used to correct to 6M showing 3/4 KC.

That wasn't worth including in the announcement of v32?

diana_eva, on 2014-December-29, 07:20, said:

GIB Version 32 is here.

Changes:
  • This version mainly contains bugfixes. For example, GIB should now bid more identically at different tables in the same tournament if auction progresses similarly across the tables.
  • GIB will be a little more aggressive about bidding games and slams when it thinks partner has a wide range of 4+ Total Points. (So for instance, if your bidding had shown 3-8 TP, that's a range of more than 4 so it will be more aggressive.) However, GIB will deduct 1 Total Point when inviting or bidding games and slams.

#6 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-February-13, 09:17

Not missed to be mention on purpose.

Probably seeded as minor tweak.

For next release could be added a little more extended note about what was changed in forum headlines. In lobby news are usually brief essentials.

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-13, 10:33

georgi, on 2015-February-13, 07:12, said:

Here actually it's little more easier for South to reveal as GIB bid game over INV, showing 14+TP.

Apparently it couldn't be with 0 key cards based on South's hand and having in mind the overcall and probable clubs values.

What does 1/4 possibility mean? GIB runs a random number generator and 1 out of 4 times it corrects to 6? I don't understand why it doesn't correct 100% of the time. Of course, in the original post, it's almost impossible for opener to not have any key cards, but that won't always be the case.

#8 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-February-13, 10:36

johnu, on 2015-February-13, 10:33, said:

What does 1/4 possibility mean? GIB runs a random number generator and 1 out of 4 times it corrects to 6? I don't understand why it doesn't correct 100% of the time. Of course, in the original post, it's almost impossible for opener to not have any key cards, but that won't always be the case.

1/4 means that when GIB responds 5 to 4NT RKC, he has either 1 or 4 keycards. If he actually has 4 and partner tries to sign off in 5M, GIB will bid the slam. Similarly, GIB responds 5 to 4NT with 0 or 3; prior to the most recent GIB version, GIB would also override his partner's attempted signoff when he actually had 3.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-February-13, 10:59

So this conscious decision to exclude the 0/3 response from committing to slam on 3, is that standard? It is certainly news to me.

Presumably we are resigned to going down in 5 when zero key cards held, if 3 is not enough for 6.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-13, 18:04

1eyedjack, on 2015-February-13, 10:59, said:

So this conscious decision to exclude the 0/3 response from committing to slam on 3, is that standard? It is certainly news to me.

Presumably we are resigned to going down in 5 when zero key cards held, if 3 is not enough for 6.

I saw many similar examples in the past,so sometimes I have to guess Gib deliberately obstruct me to bid up to slam because it is basic instead of advanced robot.Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users