BBO Discussion Forums: This means this; That means that. - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This means this; That means that. Preemptive--Strong--Other?

Poll: Standard meaning for cue-bid (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What do 3 Clubs and 3 Hearts mean in the auctions shown

1. 3 Hearts is a strong (invitational values) raise of Hearts (5 votes [45.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. 3 Clubs is a strong (invitational values) raise of Hearts (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3 Hearts is preemptive based on shape (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. 3 Clubs is asking for a Club stop in search of 3NT (3 votes [27.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

5. 3 Clubs can mean whatever you and partner want it to mean (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

6. Other (1 votes [9.09%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   JonnyQuest 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 11:32

What is the difference between these two auctions?

1 - (P) - 1 - (2)
3?

and

1 - (P) - 1 - (2)
3?

I received information that seems counter-intuitive to, what I consider common sense.

#2 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 11:38

Hi,

the difference is, in the first auction opener showes a fit, and and makes a nonforcing,
although highly bid.
In the second auction, opener forces to game and asks for further information, he may or
may not have a heart fit.

If 2NT is Lebensohl style, the first auction would be forcing with a heart fit, and the
second auction would be forcing without a heart fit.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-01, 12:57

Not sure I understand what P_Marlowe means by his second paragraph, but:

in auction 1, 3 shows the same hand as if RHO had passed...an invitational raise of hearts. A typical hand might be Axx KJxx AQxxx x

in auction 2, the cuebid says nothing other than: we are going to game and I will tell you why at my next bid. It will often contain a heart fit with game values, but unable to splinter. It may, however, be based on a very good, long diamond suit.

AQx Kx AKQxxxx x. We'd love to be in 3N if responder can bid it, and how else can we make a forcing bid?

Note that 3 will always revolve around either opener's suit or responder's suit. It would never, in the posted auction, contain biddable spades, because 2 by opener, over 2, is natural and forcing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-01, 15:06

3C=GF diamond bid. It is debatable whether it should include hands that are too good for 4H (those hands are pretty rare) or not (I think most would include that hand type).

And no one ever says it but 3253 with a balanced 18 or 19 and no club stopper is a real problem hand type that might choose to bid 3C. It doesn't fit anywhere very well.
The artist formerly known as jlall

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users