BBO Discussion Forums: Kantar's books on defense - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kantar's books on defense

#1 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2015-February-01, 17:31

Can anyone having read both "Introduction to Defender's Play" and "Eddie Kantar Teaches Modern Bridge Defense" comment on whether there is sufficient variation to warrant owning both? I was able to "Look inside" the later and liked what I saw as to content and level, but no such luck with the former. The goal here is to get an introductory book on defense for a relatively new group. However, I, at least, would like to move on to Kantar's book on Advanced Defense and Kelsey's "Killing Defence at Bridge" I want a good book for the group, and if needed, I can read a different title to help me catch up at club play. I know they are two very different goals.
Is Introduction to Defender's Play staling and Modern Defense intended as an updated equivalent?
Is Modern Defense not a good book to start with for a new group?
Is Modern Defense a must read before Advanced Defense?
Are these the wrong books altogether? Maybe a Grant title for a new group?
As always thanks,

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-February-01, 18:14

You might want to investigate Bill Root's How to Defend a Bridge Hand. I am not certain, but I think that it is set out somewhat like a textbook, so might be very suitable for teaching.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-February-01, 19:20

I think Kantar has a complete book on defense.. "Kantar for the defense" or something like that. That one is very complete and covers just about everything you need for starters. Really a good buy.

#4 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 19:43

I second the recommendation for Bill Root's book.

Of the Kantar books, I think you can skip the introductory book and just use modern defense as the first book. "Kantar for the Defense" are quiz books, they are quite good for practice but not really as a comprehensive introduction to defense. I think whereagles was thinking of his "Defensive Bridge Play" aka "the big red book" which I also have. This is out of print and I think basically superseded by the Kantar teaches Modern/Advanced defense books. All these books are quite good, but I'm somewhat partial to Root for beginners/intermediates.

#5 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:coding supports Brewing, Cards, Whisky, Home Improvement and Legos with the kids. Not necessarily in that order

Posted 2015-February-01, 20:47

Vampyr said:

1422836046[/url]' post='832632']
You might want to investigate Bill Root's How to Defend a Bridge Hand. I am not certain, but I think that it is set out somewhat like a textbook, so might be very suitable for teaching.

Thanks Vampyr, I'll check it out. I wouldn't really want to use words like teach and class, I'm trying to maintain expectations here. Posted Image

whereagles said:

1422840002[/url]' post='832634']
I think Kantar has a complete book on defense.. "Kantar for the defense" or something like that. That one is very complete and covers just about everything you need for starters. Really a good buy.

I looked at this one on Baron Barclay. It looked more like a workbook from the limited description available. Amazon didn't seem to have volume 1 only volume 2. Could you perhaps be thinking of Defensive Bridge Play Complete? I ask because I was considering this book for me to read as opposed to Modern and Advanced Defense. Reviews also suggested it took both books to cover the material in that one, but the material was updated and an easier to read due to font and layout changes. If it really is better than the newer two put together, I'm interested in hearing those opinions.

I picked the initial 2 because they both seemed very approachable and I would gauge the interest level of the group as mostly casual. There is curiosity about "what should I lead" and "what would this discard mean", but I think material on unblocking and surrounding plays would actually hurt interest. So I was looking for something to get us all started, and had a good continuation for me, without making people feel like they bought half a book, or worse...

Thanks

#6 User is offline   wclucas42 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-February-01, 21:28

Vampyr said:

1422836046[/url]' post='832632']

Stephen Tu said:

1422841391[/url]' post='832637']
I second the recommendation for Bill Root's book.

Of the Kantar books, I think you can skip the introductory book and just use modern defense as the first book. "Kantar for the Defense" are quiz books, they are quite good for practice but not really as a comprehensive introduction to defense. I think whereagles was thinking of his "Defensive Bridge Play" aka "the big red book" which I also have. This is out of print and I think basically superseded by the Kantar teaches Modern/Advanced defense books. All these books are quite good, but I'm somewhat partial to Root for beginners/intermediates.

Wow, this book looks complete, and textbook is right. Unfortunately, it's length and density make it unsuitable for the audience. I put it on my list though. It may take me 6 months to get through, but it covers everything on my current personal hit list.
it also supports my understanding of Kantar's offerings. Considering all constraints I think Modern Defense currently has the edge.

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2015-February-02, 04:06

wclucas42, on 2015-February-01, 20:47, said:

Could you perhaps be thinking of Defensive Bridge Play Complete?

Yeah, that might be it. Whether or not it's better for your case than the other two, I'm not sure.

In any event the main strategy for the defense is simple: reconstruct declarer's hand. For this you have three sources of input: (1) bidding, (2) pard's signals, (3) declarer's line of play. Bundling them all in one single picture is a skill that develops over time. But it effort must be put onto it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users