BBO Discussion Forums: I'm a Freak, I'm a Wierdo - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm a Freak, I'm a Wierdo What the Hell am I Doing Here?

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-June-25, 16:49

Bid this freak, starting with South! For arguement's sake, no interference.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-25, 17:51

I would start:

1 - 1NT
3 - 3

which surely has to show the great diamond support and spade control. Whatever version of minor keycard you play after that, you're stopping in 6 due to the missing queen.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-June-25, 18:29

I have Jeff’s magic elixir in my tool bag, so I have a choice of emphasizing hearts or showing diamonds.

It’s impossible to know how I’d decide at the table…any pretence to objectivity disappears as soon as we see responder’s hand, which makes 1H 1N 3D ‘obvious’

I have the ability to bid 1H 1N 3C as either a huge one suiter or a gf hearts-clubs two suiter. If I chose to use it, responder bids 3D (on most hands) and I bid 3H, forcing. What happens thereafter is a guess…north has two Aces, which argues for optimism, and the heart 10 might, but usually won’t, be useful. I’d expect to miss slam.

I like to think I’d reject 3C and show diamonds. In one partnership we use 1H 1N 2S as multi purpose, including a heart- minor gf, with 1H 1N 3D as 5-5 strong but not forcing.

So in that partnership I think I do that..responder asks with 2N, I bid 3D and responder drives to slam….we don’t gf on less than gf values so opposite this sequence, north is thinking grand more than he’s worried about going down in six.

In all other partnerships, 3D over 1N.

I reject 3S since that suggests a probe for 3N…fine if he bids it, since I pull, but what if he unsurprisingly doesn’t have a club stopper or is otherwise not prepared to bid 3N.

I raise to 4D.

Opener bids 4H as an offer to play there, and now responder can just bid 6D…that’s what I’d do.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2022-June-26, 00:57

Playing Kaplan inversion and a bespoke approach for strong hands.
1-1 F1
2NT (4+ or 3523) - 3 Which?
3 46+ - 3 SI ctrl
4 ctrl - 4
5 void 1/3/5 keycards - 5 no Q

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-June-26, 01:30

We are fortunate not playing 2/1 so we start 1-2 after which no skill is required to bid 6

#6 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-26, 07:41

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-June-26, 01:30, said:

We are fortunate not playing 2/1 so we start 1-2 after which no skill is required to bid 6

OK then, give opener a diamond void and KQJx of clubs.

From responder's point of view, would 1 - 2 ; 3 promise a good 4+ club suit. Mightn't it be KQx with no full spade stop?

Really, bidding a terrible suit works great when a strong holding turns up opposite. Otherwise, it creates an impression that will be impossible to erase in the subsequent auction.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-June-26, 08:20

View Postbluenikki, on 2022-June-26, 07:41, said:

OK then, give opener a diamond void and KQJx of clubs.

From responder's point of view, would 1 - 2 ; 3 promise a good 4+ club suit. Mightn't it be KQx with no full spade stop?

Really, bidding a terrible suit works great when a strong holding turns up opposite. Otherwise, it creates an impression that will be impossible to erase in the subsequent auction.

If partner has that hand, he's under zero pressure to bid 3 as 2N is GF and not necessarily balanced

#8 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-26, 09:23

For us it might well go:
1H 1NT
3D 4D
4H 4S
5C 5N
6D P
where 5C also denies even keycards and 5N also denies the trumps Q [note for al78: see how a singleton opposite top honour was intentionally not shown here. Some partnerships leave this up to choice, some never show and some always show in any case. Even if shown with 5H, it wouldn't have been an issue].

#9 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-June-26, 15:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-June-26, 08:20, said:

If partner has that hand, he's under zero pressure to bid 3 as 2N is GF and not necessarily balanced

even with no spade stop?

#10 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-June-26, 15:10

View Postbluenikki, on 2022-June-26, 15:05, said:

even with no spade stop?

Yes. If you play Acol weak NT and hold 15-17 balanced, you might open a suit and bid 2NT opposite a 2/1 with a suit unguarded.

#11 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-June-26, 15:16

View Postpescetom, on 2022-June-26, 09:23, said:

For us it might well go:
1H 1NT
3D 4D
4H 4S
5C 5N
6D P
where 5C also denies even keycards and 5N also denies the trumps Q [note for al78: see how a singleton opposite top honour was intentionally not shown here. Some partnerships leave this up to choice, some never show and some always show in any case. Even if shown with 5H, it wouldn't have been an issue].

Assuming you mean the choice to bid 5N instead of 5H, I can see cueing a singleton opposite opener's primary suit probably isn't a good idea, you want honor cards opposite suit length, not shortages. The other hand which initiated my separate thread was about cueing a singleton first time round in an unbid suit.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-June-26, 15:29

View Postbluenikki, on 2022-June-26, 15:05, said:

even with no spade stop?

It's completely artificial, it is not a no trump bid in the normal sense of the word, it's GF and not necessarily balanced. This is a logical extension of what AL78 points out about playing a weak no trump.

It also means you have 2 ways to make some bids, 1-2-2N-3-3 for us is stronger than 1-2-3

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users